• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I didn't want a Rescue.

GladeWing

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ariana
Sorry, but in my book a rescue should only be used if the bird was in a life death situation who needed to have medical attention immediately to save it's life. These animal rights people love when the term rescue is used as they use that against us in our own courts of law to get these laws passed pointing out how many animals are suffering because people own them.
Agreed, I use the term loosely in the little thing I put together up there and tend to opt for the term "Neglected" because they were neglecting her basic needs as a parrot in not giving her the care, diet, and attention she needed. I agree, the term "rescue" is often over-used or applied to inappropriate cases. In either way, I didn't want a rescue or a neglect case, I wanted a fresh start! But it wasn't in the stars for me (and I'm happy for it!).

I agree though, Rescue for me usually means in imminent danger or in seriously poor health (and usually obtained by forced surrender or abandonment), I used the term in the recounting of the situation partially for story telling ^^

Thank you (and everyone else!) so much for the kind words and the positive thoughts! I was so worried that my post was going to be ill-received due to the overall length and content but I am so glad that it has made people happy, and the well-wishes mean a lot to me! :hug8:

GladeWing

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ariana
I was re-reading the responses and guys, thank you so much for the positive support for Khepri and I! It makes me feel so good about everything, and I promise I will stay around! I am so flattered that many of you complimented the writing enough to encourage me to seek to get it published (I'd likely refine it a bit) but man, that really means a lot to me!

You guys are the best ;.;! I promise I will be hanging around AA for a while! I am addicted to birds, and need to be around bird people! I am sort of disappointed in myself for not joining forums 5 years ago when I really started getting into birds o_o;

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I have tears... wow, thank you so much for sharing :) I'm not really the mushy type and I have always been intimidated by the idea of rescuing or even adopting/rehoming but this was so inspirational. Thank you for sharing. Really changed my perspective on things.

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Maddie, when I had her in the car with me, and felt the heat start to radiate off of her feet (that unmistakable "I am so 100% comfy and happy right now" feeling) I got really emotional too ;_;

I was so surprised that she was so calm and happy with me in the car, considering how freaked and defiant she was with her previous family. I was worried she was going to have a hard time adapting to yet another home and with my previous fostering experience I usually got to see "the real bird" week 2 of their time at my house. After week 1 with her, she came out of her shell and was silly, messy (what bird isn't?) but that was really it. No territorial behavior, no endless screaming, I'm still sitting here waiting for it to happen, LOL.

She's done a lot of good for me, and I hope that she will eventually come to realize that my house isn't just another notch in the belt for her, that she will be here forever! :heart:
Birds have a unique way of knowing who will treat them right. I've noticed that with each bird I've had in my home. They relax and would have a totally different attitude about life in general than what they had at their previous home. I don't know how they know, they just know.

Thank you for sharing your story! I absolutely loved it!!

Dana Lee

Real Name
Dana
:heart: :hug8: Yay! I love stories with happy endings :)

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This made my day reading this. Thank you for opening your heart to her. What a wonderful life she has with you now. Please continue to tell us about her

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Best AA thread ever. Thanks for sharing. You write beautifully. Give Khepri a scritch from us here, and hugs to you! :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
;)
Rescues are great. All of the "problems" you mentioned I somehow managed to bypass, for the most part. Congrats on your darling. You both have wonderful lives ahead.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
GREAT STORY! I volunteer at a rescue and I so understand your story. Thanks for sharing. Good luck with everything and keep us posted.

Animal_lover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sarah
I can barely see what I'm typing thru my tears! What a touching story....putting it mildly! "She didn't want to be a rescue"..... Still crying here!!!!! Thank you for the touching story. I hope you keep us updated

MacDaddie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Bob
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Perhaps the most enjoyable post I have ever read here! God bless you and Khepri! May you share a long and wonderful life together!!!

GladeWing

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ariana
Thank you all again for the amount of kindness and support you've shown for me and Khepri! Seriously, it really, really warms my heart to know that this has touched someone in some way! :hug8:

I wrote that while I was very sick and couldn't sleep. I'm finally getting over my cold/sore throat/whatever that was and finally being able to interact a lot with Khepri again. She and I spent the day together while I Skyped with my friends (she LOVES when I get on Skype because I just talk and talk and talk). It's good though, because my fiance was able to spend more time with her too! I want to get more pictures taken and some videos too so I can continue to share her with you guys here. I don't currently have any plans for another bird just yet, but if I do open my house to another bird, it will definitely not be a breeder baby. I will look for a bird in need again (and even bend over backwards to do all the quarantine stuff) if it means giving a great bird a chance to actually live.

I love you all! :heart:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Thank you for that. Very touching story and anyone not getting a bit teary eyed doesn't have any empathy for living beings. I have had Lurch, a used parrot, for about 5 years and we're still coming to terms with each other but he's now fond of us on his own terms. I had Nerd another Maxi like Lurch for 31 years, we grew up together. I hope the two of you have a long happy life together :hug8:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I'm thinking the "I didn't want . . . . . .

and

"She didn't want . . . . .

should be turned into some sort of graphic poster . . . . . and the proceeds could be donated to a place that would benefit rescued parrots . . . .

Just a thought. . . . .

I want to share the tears I shed with as many people as possible.

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
I sat, car idling at a long stop light, the last one before I got home, kicking myself for being so gullible and for buying a neglected bird for full price:
I didn't want a rescue.
I didn't want a bird that I had to "fix"
I didn't want a bird that other people had neglected
I didn't want to pay full price to fix other people's problems
I didn't want to deal with the anger, the bites, and the screeching
I wanted a bird to love
I wanted a bird to keep from ever experiencing harm
I wanted a bird to bond with.

You know what you want/dont want - but Khepri knew what she wanted and guess who won!

But then I realized, as my new friend started picking her little bits of bird-dust delicately off of my arm, her little feet nice and toasty on my arm...
She didn't want to become a rescue.
She didn't want to be broken
She didn't want to be neglected
She didn't want to bounce from home to home
She didn't want to be angry, bite people, or scream in terror.
She wanted a person to love
She wanted to live a life free of harm
She wanted a person to bond with.

Oh my goodness! Absolutely beautiful. Unlike you, I am terrible with words, so I will just say, I just wish I could give you the biggest hug. What a fantastic intro to AA. A mighty big welcome to you and thank you for joining.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Unlike Gladewing I wanted a used bird - even after volunteering at a sanctuary (a real sanctuary where once a parrot is admitted they never leave) where the worst of the worst end up. There was never a doubt in my mind that I would get a bird who needed a chance at living (many birds are alive, but they aren't living). I never regretted getting a used bird, but there were times, many times, that I didn't know if I could give this bird what he needed, but I couldn't give up. As it ended, we had 15 wonderful years together.

Even today I cannot feel good and congratulate those who buy a baby bird - I fear for their (the bird's) future. Sorry folks I've seen the end game too many times.

I salute you for your final choice and I certainly wish you many happy years together.