• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I decided to let my birds out. Now Gee is flying around the room hitting things. What should I do?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
I decided that my bird needed to be let out because they were getting a little cage aggression, so I left the cage open with their play stand right next to it. Well little Gee decided that he didn't want to play on the play stand, so he decided to try to fly over to my bed which is on the other side of the room and since his wings are clipped he missed. Now he is hiding under my dresser, but earlier he was trying hard to fly and kept hitting things. Example he hit his little head on the bottom of my dresser while trying to fly under there. What should I do?! Please help! I don't want to chase him and scare him half to death. I tried to offer him some millet but he ran away as fast as he can. Will he finally make his way back into his cage on his own or should I catch him. Please help....I'm just so scared that he is going to hurt his little self. :( Also the cage door is open and Popeye is still in the cage...Should I close the cage door so this doesn't happen with both of them?!

Last edited:

J*M*L

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Julie
Re: I decided to let my birds out. Now Gee is flying around the room hitting things. What should I d

I think he'll be ok. I have 2 clumsy birds and they're still fine! I'm sure someone will chime in with some actual advice here, shortly. :hug8:

Andee

Walking the driveway
Re: I decided to let my birds out. Now Gee is flying around the room hitting things. What should I d

Give him a few minutes to calm down, keeping an eye on him. Then gently scoop him up (if he doesn't step up or is too scared), using a small cloth or blanket if you need to. Flying around and hitting things could knock him out or worse kill him :( What type of bird is he by the way??

Last edited:

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons

Give him a few minutes to calm down, keeping an eye on him. Then gently scoop him up (if he doesn't step up or is too scared), using a small cloth or blanket if you need to. Flying around and hitting things could knock him out or worse kill him :( What type of bird is her by the way??
He's a budgie

Andee

Walking the driveway

Poor little darling! One of my budgies does this too and I always get nervous when I let her out! I hope you can catch him soon :) If you have other tame budgies who will sit on your finger you could try and use them to coax him? I find this works well most of the time.

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons

Unfortunately neither one of them are tame and they are absolutely terrified of me. I'm just sitting here waiting for him to walk out from under the dresser so i can scoop him up...lol he has just been sitting under there preening himself for like 10 minutes now...Sorry I am just so nervous about them....I need to be able to let them out but everytime i do they almost hurt themselves.

Last edited:

SDavies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran

it's common for budgies and almost allways happens
they need to time to learn to navigate and find a safe place to land
i never help any of my birds that hit a wall, i let them do it all themselves and pick themselves up
the most important thing to do is stay calm and give him time
saying that, your birds wings are clipped so i have no idea how he'd get back to his cage, maybe place it on the floor?

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons

It's okay everyone! He got sick of hiding under the dresser and walked over to where I was sitting and chirped at me lol like "Can you put me back?" lol so I took a flat sheet and scooped him up in it and put him back....I think because I didn't chase him this time he decided to trust me lol Thank You so much everyone! I just get so nervous when he is flying around bumping into things lol:hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

Glad that all is well:)

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea

This is very common for little budgies :) I'm glad everything is ok, and maybe he'll trust you more now that you waited patiently for him and put him back where he wanted to be.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG

glad you were able to put him back safely

:hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Whew how scary! Glad all is ok.:hug8: maybe this is a step in the right direction if he came to you. You might want to try to train them to a stick or t-stand. Offer millet to entice them to the stick. Then as they step on & touch the millet give a cue or you can use a clicker. It takes patience.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Perhaps once they are both flighted, it'll be a lot easier for you and them :)

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons

Perhaps once they are both flighted, it'll be a lot easier for you and them :)
Yeah maybe I should no longer clip their wings. You see when I first got them home and I was putting them in their cage...Little Gee, my little escape artist, escaped and was flying into everything. I mean, he was on the ceiling fan, trying to fly into the window, even though I had the curtain closed. This was probably because he was in a new environment, but I was told that clipping their wings would be the best option. ...Now that he is no longer as scared maybe I should not have his wings clipped, so that he can fly around rather than hopping around on the ground lol I mean he can still kind of fly, but not even half as high and he still has many crash landings even though I had the vet clip his wings lol....the funny thing is that my other bird Popeye had his wings clipped and for some reason he can still fly just as high as before....

Last edited:

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons

Thanks Everyone!!!! :hug8::hug8::dance4:

Status
Not open for further replies.