• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I cried, wife cried, and grey grey let out a sound i never heard before

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
My wife and I were sitting in front of the large 65 in tv where our computer is linked to. Watching videos we recorded of poppers singing and talking.
In flies grey grey, lands on floor in front of tv screen...
Looking up at poppers with wings shuddering, and let out a long long howl....I never heard this sound before.
He watched the screen for like 3 minutes, moaning and howling at poppers on the screen.
My wife looked at me with hand over her mouth, years coming from eyes as she watched grey grey... I practically did same thing.
My wife turns to me and says... He knows!!! He hasn't forgotten, and he's crying for her!!.....
It was heart breaking, and had to turn video off and pick him up... It was like he was saying noooooooo, when I picked him up.
Poppers was his best friend....8 years..!!
So at that moment we knew the Amazon that Chelsea has
That is being fostered is meant for us. And grey grey would love another buddy. I know, slow and gradual interduction.
Point is...birds don't forget. They don't.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
:sadhug2: Omg. This brought tears to my eyes! Poor Grey Grey :heart:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Awwwwwwwww Grey Grey. Missing his Poppers.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Oh they know...They know alot more than we even know they know...They can watch TV & listen to radio. They have feelings, miss & mourn...Poor Grey Grey...8 years is a long time to lose a friend especially a bird..

Gosh I still have no emoticons???

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh they know...They know alot more than we even know they know...They can watch TV & listen to radio. They have feelings, miss & mourn...Poor Grey Grey...8 years is a long time to lose a friend especially a bird..

Gosh I still have no emoticons???
68721243-32A2-4C0E-AABF-B19E0ECCCF40.png
No little smilie face in the top menu bar?

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is so heartbreaking :( Poor little guy. When one of my in-laws' elderly cats died, the other cat would wander room from room doing a really low, unusual yowl, looking around for him. It was really tough to watch. I look forward to seeing more from Pierre, I hope he can help you all to feel a bit better :)

@camelotshadow does it look like this? If so, just press the orange cog button and they should come back.

Screenshot_20200203_114750.jpg

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
My OWA lost her BFA mate. She was very sad and lost a lot of weight, I had to have her tube-fed a few times to keep her alive.
I'm glad you said about the howl. That was what she did a few times. It was an unearthly noise I'd never heard before but having lost my own husband to cancer I understood it, and I also missed my BFA very much. She would make me pick her up and walk around the house often, looking for him. She insisted he was somewhere although she was with him when he died.
She looked so hard.
When looking for another amazon to keep her company. she would rush any BFA she saw, a lot of times it would scare them as it looked like she was attacking she moved so fast. But it was because she thought it was her mate and she was so happy to see them.
I just wanted to let you know about that so GreyGrey doesn't get off on the wrong foot with Pierre.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Pierre has been an only bird for 10 years, but promptly greeted Chipper with a loud 'hello!' yesterday morning when I brought Chip into the room. They both were unbothered by each other.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
My OWA lost her BFA mate. She was very sad and lost a lot of weight, I had to have her tube-fed a few times to keep her alive.
I'm glad you said about the howl. That was what she did a few times. It was an unearthly noise I'd never heard before but having lost my own husband to cancer I understood it, and I also missed my BFA very much. She would make me pick her up and walk around the house often, looking for him. She insisted he was somewhere although she was with him when he died.
She looked so hard.
When looking for another amazon to keep her company. she would rush any BFA she saw, a lot of times it would scare them as it looked like she was attacking she moved so fast. But it was because she thought it was her mate and she was so happy to see them.
I just wanted to let you know about that so GreyGrey doesn't get off on the wrong foot with Pierre.
Grey grey was allowed to see poppers after she died.
I think it's good for them to understand. And they do to a point...
Don't worry, introducing him to Pierre will be gradual
And not rushed, with close monitoring.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I've watched Jasper grieve a couple of times and it hurt me bad too. Once was when she missed her original family so much. Especially her mom. And second time when we lost Hank 8 years ago. They had been friends and lovers for 12 years. I still can't play any of Hank's videos when she is around - Jasper becomes frantic and very upset. Videos of other birds don't bother her, just those of Hank.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
That made me cry. Yes, they know... :sadhug2:I'm glad all of you are getting a chance to love another bird. No one could ever replace Poppers but I hope it does Grey Grey good to have a buddy again.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:sadhug2:

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
Grey grey was allowed to see poppers after she died.
I think it's good for them to understand. And they do to a point...
Don't worry, introducing him to Pierre will be gradual
And not rushed, with close monitoring.
We had Annie with us when we had to have Princeton put to sleep. She cried, she was a chow malamute. He was a white husky shepherd. I misz them both. Great now I am crying.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
So sad and heartbreaking, but also a special moment where the three of you could share your grieve.
So happy to hear that you should get him a new friend. ❤❤❤

I have a poster with pics and feathers of Eloy over Akelas cage. Sometimes she just sit their, very closed to one of his pics, and with tears in my eyes I'm always telling her that I also miss him.
She knows it's Eloy, I am 100% sure of that.