• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I can't tell whether my bird is an Alexandrine or an IRN, help??

ravenousss

Moving in
My bird is 9 months old and I've presumed he is an Alexandrine Parakeet since that's what I was told when I got him, however, now that I look at more Alexandrine Parakeet images he doesn't seem to have that red spot on his wings like in the images I've seen.
Sure, I understand not having the black ring, since I heard they only start developing the ring at around 2 years if I remember correctly, but almost all images of Alexandrine Parakeets I've seen always have the red spot on their wings, but mine doesn't.
Is it a color mutation? I don't really know, though it won't bother me if he's a different species, I'll still love him the same, but I'm just confused?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do you have a any photos?

Alexandrines are larger

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Could you post some pictures?

Alexandrines are quite a bit bigger than Ringnecks, and have a proportionally larger head and beak.

Here's a pic of two side-by-side:

1577561412743.png

ravenousss

Moving in
Do you have a any photos?

Alexandrines are larger
Could you post some pictures?

Alexandrines are quite a bit bigger than Ringnecks, and have a proportionally larger head and beak.

Here's a pic of two side-by-side:

View attachment 324272
I would have posted pictures too, but mine is untamed and I can't take him out of the cage and take pictures, so I guess I'll have to wait a little more, though I'm also unsure how the taming process is going (It's been 3 days since I got him), since I talk with him a lot and don't get too close to him except for when changing his food and water.

ravenousss

Moving in
We should be able to tell if you take pictures of him inside the cage. If you're worried about spooking him, though, no worries!

The taming process can be long and arduous. Three days is nothing :)
Here he is, I tried zooming in a little through the bars and cropped a little so they wouldn't be seen. (Sorry in advance about the quality!)
I don't know if age has an influence on this since he's only 9 months old, but now that I look at it he honestly looks more like an IRN, though I'm no expert at this, which is why I asked in the first place, haha!
And, are there any thread with tips about taming? I would like to look at it and improve, I really only want the best for my birdy!

Attachments

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Most def an IRN! Alex do have the wing patch like you observed. Also Alex have a different shaped beak and a rather flat appearance to the top of their head.

Kiwi is surely a cute little bird :D :)

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
I agree with everyone else definitely an irn, the Alex’s have bigger heads and body’s in general plus as mentioned the red wing patches.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Here's some information on training! :)

Any place that mentions that they bluff and to ignore bluffing, please just disregard the advice and move on! (it's bad advice!)

WindGlider

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Barbara McQuirns
I have had an Alexandrine and currently have a ringneck. The Alexandrine is bigger and has burgundy shoulders and a much larger beak than an IRN.

WindGlider

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Barbara McQuirns
Here he is, I tried zooming in a little through the bars and cropped a little so they wouldn't be seen. (Sorry in advance about the quality!)
I don't know if age has an influence on this since he's only 9 months old, but now that I look at it he honestly looks more like an IRN, though I'm no expert at this, which is why I asked in the first place, haha!
And, are there any thread with tips about taming? I would like to look at it and improve, I really only want the best for my birdy!
He looks very sweet. IRNs are not known to be huge snugglers, but can be receptive to human affection with time and patience