• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I can't believe it

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have been told that amazons are quite possessive about their human, they do not usually tolerate smaller birds. But Inca always tries to befriend the budgies (though the budgie boys do not bother about him and start toe patrolling the moment Inca lands on their cage).
Inca is showing similar tendency to Rio... He flock calls for him.... He flies to Rio's cage. Naturally they have different outing time, but Inca becomes very excited to see Rio on my hand.
Today evening, we were sitting at living room. Inca was outside. He flew to Rio's cage top. After some time suddenly Inca started feeding Rio!! We were amazed, it was so unexpected and it was so very cute, probably the cutest thing Inca has ever done!
@Fuzzy , @Greylady1966 , you also have mixed flock with Amazon. Please tell me is it normal thing for a zon. @Fuzzy , I know your Ollie (RIP) was a friend of Kobe. Have you seen such behavior?

Attachments

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
That’s so cute! Ollie (Orange wing) adored Kobe (Pionus) as you know. They used to preen each other a lot. Ollie was also fascinated by my Mum’s budgie (he used to like sitting on top of the budgie’s cage) and he was the only one I trusted to be kind and gentle when “playing” with the blind Chico. It probably depends on the individual bird. Although JoeJoe (another Orange wing) is gentle to humans, he’s not so gentle with the other birds. I would consider letting them out together. Kobe is much faster than the Amazons at taking off and flying, so I’m not worried about having them all out together despite size difference.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Oh my gosh! How absolutely adorable!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
While it may seem cute I personally wouldn’t allow it. There are strange pairings with birds of different species and sizes. But…. Inca can EAsily remove Rio’s beak.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
Billy loves Howard, he sings to him, talks to him and is always checking to see where he's at when Howard is in another room. Koko loves Billy and will try her hardest to climb up his house to see him. I've held Koko by Billy's house when he's in it and I haven't seen any anger in either one of them but I'm not comfortable letting them out together. Koko lived with a cockatoo before us, so she might be used to having a parrot up close. Than there's Howard who doesn't think he's a parrot. Howard will turn around so he doesn't have to look at them.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I would be very careful with them interacting through a cage. Toes are exposed and can get seriously harmed. Outside of the cage in a large flight birds have much more control over how they interact and can fly away. I have known of a moustache parrot who lost his leg to the knee from a cage interaction gone wrong.

My parrotlets (parrotlet to parrotlet) have also seriously nipped each other via the cage. When they free flight my parrotlets may squabble but it is never as bad as cage interactions.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, I am also very careful about the interaction... I won't allow outside interaction, ever. But whenever Inca is outside he'll go to Rio definitely. So i just keep a close watch all-time.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would be very careful with them interacting through a cage. Toes are exposed and can get seriously harmed. Outside of the cage in a large flight birds have much more control over how they interact and can fly away. I have known of a moustache parrot who lost his leg to the knee from a cage interaction gone wrong.

My parrotlets (parrotlet to parrotlet) have also seriously nipped each other via the cage. When they free flight my parrotlets may squabble but it is never as bad as cage interactions.
So, would you suggest some outside interaction also? Rio is much faster than Inca.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
So, would you suggest some outside interaction also? Rio is much faster than Inca.
I wouldn't say I suggest it. You must be responsible to gauge the situation and know your birds.

I am of the opinion that mutual interaction is only safe in a large free flight setting for species of such a size difference. However there is also risk of serious injury because of beak size variation. So you must make that choice on your own.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wouldn't say I suggest it. You must be responsible to gauge the situation and know your birds.

I am of the opinion that mutual interaction is only safe in a large free flight setting for species of such a size difference. However there is also risk of serious injury because of beak size variation. So you must make that choice on your own.
I understand. Thank you :heart:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I love Howard......