• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I cannot give him this chelation med anymore, it's going to kill him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
I'm just catching up with this thread! OMG I do hope there'll be good news soon!

Please Fight, little Buddy! Your mommy's doing all she can to help you and we're all sending you healing vibes :hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Fight l :hug8:ittle Buddy fight!!!!!!!!!!!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
praying for little Buddy to make it through this

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I just called and left a message for Sarah at Dr. B's to see if I can get an update.

Ginger

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
anxiously awaiting an update here too. Still sending good thoughts and prayers for both of them :hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Pacing here hoping all is well with precious Buddy this morning.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Just checking in again and still praying for Buddy.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Deb just posted this on another thread, "I'll do an update on how he is in my other thread in the 911 section. "

We need to be patient just a little longer and give rher a chance to get settled or what ever.
ML

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Hi everyone! Sorry it took so long to update. We got home very late last night. We got sort of :rolleyes: lost a couple of times, Mapquest and Bing gave some terrible directions. I gave Buddy his med this morning and went back to sleep for a while.

Dr. B gave Buddy and injection of CaEDTA and a dose by mouth while we were there. He didn't have any kind of bad reaction. Thank goodness. I knew he was in good hands with Dr. B. He also did an exam. He said there may be some improvement by today. He said he droppings weren't great but they weren't real bad. He only had about 6 droppings in the 3 hours it took to get there. He is having more today. Dr. B didn't mention doing IV fluids or keeping him there at the clinic.

He is still tired but he does seem to be feeling a little better. He isn't sitting all hunched over with his eyes closed all the time like he was doing yesterday afternoon! I knew he felt really bad and with his droppings slowing down yesterday I was so afraid to wait until today. Dr. B said the slight tail bobbing at times (not the kind of tail bobbing like he had when he had a reaction to the pennicillimine) could be from pain from the metal in his gizzard. There are no respiratory issues. He has been checked twice for that and Dr. B didn't find any either.

He ate on his when we got back last night (We took food and water with us but he wouldn't eat it on the trip) and didn't regurgitate and didn't regurgitate when he ate this morning. He was very perky earlier, now he has his eyes closed. I'm hoping it's just a nap. I'm going to watch him closely. He told me to make sure he stayed well hydrated. He said I could give him 5-7 cc of water on top of what he drinks on his own. He wants him very well hydrated too because of the CaEDTA.

The CaEDTA will be given 5 days on, 5 off, 5 on and 5 off and then another blood draw for the lead/zinc level. The other blood test that my vet did last week will be back on Monday so we'll know what the lead levels were at first.

He told me to only give the metamucil once per day and to leave out the peanut butter and just use the metamucil mixed in water.

It was very nice meeting Dr. B. He didn't care that it was New Year's Day when my baby needed help! We are so grateful for him.

I know I thanked Buddy's Angels in my "may need help" thread to help him go to see Dr. B last night, but I wanted to thank you all again. We thank all of you for all of your thoughts and prayers also. It means so much. Thank you all for being here for me and Buddy. We love you all!

:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Deb what a wonderful update. I am hoping things stay uphill from here on out. Dr B is a credit to his profession, I am so glad you were able to see him last night. :hug8:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh Im so glad to be reading this update!! That sounds like a great plan and I hope Buddy will improve quickly with his new treatment plan. You are such a great Parront, Deb :hug8: I cant imagine how exhausting your day was so I hope you rest up today. Thank you for updating us :hug8:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
OH what great news!!! sounds like Buddy is in good hands...I am sooo relieved.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'll be a nag here. Keep Buddy well hydrated. The Metamucil will actually pull some fluids out of the body. That's one of the ways it works as a stool softener, is to draw more liquid into the stools (in people) so they pass easier.

Get some rest - both of you.
ML

M-Nature

Walking the driveway
Real Name
M-Nature
Glad to hear Buddy is doing better. I have my parrotlet on DMSA from Central Compounding under Dr. B's care. She has zinc issues that began with her first cage. It's been very difficult to bring down the zinc levels. After we clear the zinc from the blood stream, the organs release more into the blood. There is also a chance for re-exposure. (Lilly likes to chew on white paint, which has varying amounts of zinc in it, so I have to watch her carefully.)

It can be a long haul getting lead or zinc out of a bird's system. Hang in there! My love to Buddy. :hug8:

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
:hug8: Thanks for the update. Hope he continues to get better and is able to get the metal out of his system.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
What a relief! I am so glad Buddy is rallying. I hope the both of you get lots of rest and relaxation today. Prayers continuing. :hug8:

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
I'm glad Buddy is doing better, I had to go through a similar thing when my Cockatoo had zinc poisoning.. it led to a super-duper addiction to peanut butter for her but she made it through fine!

- Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.