• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I cannot give him this chelation med anymore, it's going to kill him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Buddy is holding his wings out again after this morning's dose and is breathing hard. He did that yesterday with it. The med is going to kill him quicker than the metal toxicity!

He was acting so much better this morning before the med. He was playing and eating on his own. He was talking and doing the kissies. I give him the med and he gets nauseated and does the heavy breathing.

My vet won't be back until Monday so the med can't be changed until then and no other vet will help me because they haven't seen Buddy. Plus, we are bordering on broke, I want to take him to see another vet since mine is out of town, but after spending out on my bird fund and $400 on top of it, I can't.

What do I do? Do I take him off of it until Monday? Is he breathing hard because he's nauseated? Is it a bad reaction? like an allergy? I wish I knew but either way I cannot watch him breathe hard like that with his wings open a little. I know that is not good at all.

Poor poor Buddy. I'm sitting here crying and I don't know what to do. Yesterday after the med he went to the bottom of the cage after doing what he's doing now. That stuff is going to kill him!

I wanted to help him when I rescued him, now I feel like I'm failing him.

I hope that crap wears off soon. :(

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It won't kill him to stop the meds for a few days until he can see the vet.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Definately, take him off of it. He is reacting to something in the medication. Continue to give him the peanut butter and the metamucil. Watch him closely so he doesn't get dehydrated. Until you are able to see a vet again, give him supportive care & lots of fluids.

You aren't failing him. He would have died for sure if you hadn't taken him in and you are doing everything you have been told by the vet and everything in your power.

ML

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
When Jasper ate a whiffle ball and got impacted, it took 5 weeks of peanut butter and metamucil to get it all out. Have you been inspecting his poop to see if there are metal schards coming out. Pick poop up on white paper and spread around to see if there are any solids in it. I bacame and expert poop inspector with Jasper.
ML

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Oh poor Buddy...I agree with what everyone said. If I thought the meds were causing this, i would definitely stop until I spoke to the vet...:hug8:

liltweets

Jogging around the block
It won't kill him to stop the meds for a few days until he can see the vet.
That's good to know. Thank you!

Definately, take him off of it. He is reacting to something in the medication. Continue to give him the peanut butter and the metamucil. Watch him closely so he doesn't get dehydrated. Until you are able to see a vet again, give him supportive care & lots of fluids.

You aren't failing him. He would have died for sure if you hadn't taken him in and you are doing everything you have been told by the vet and everything in your power.

I think he's allergic to it. Yes, I am doing everything I possibly can, including praying so hard. Thank you for the encouragement.

ML
When Jasper ate a whiffle ball and got impacted, it took 5 weeks of peanut butter and metamucil to get it all out. Have you been inspecting his poop to see if there are metal schards coming out. Pick poop up on white paper and spread around to see if there are any solids in it. I bacame and expert poop inspector with Jasper.
ML
Oh wow, he ate a whiffle ball? I'm so glad he is ok. No, I haven't been looking through the poop but I'll start. I have a big magnet, would it pick up any pieces from the droppings?

If you don't feel right about it, stop.

Sometimes we don't listen to our gut, and there is no turning back if you are right.
Exactly. And my gut says no more of that. My poor baby.

I know all birds can react differently to different things but is there a chelation med that works well that is known for the least amount of side effects?

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.
:hug8::hug8:

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I'm so sorry you're going through this...but no med should hurt more than it helps. You're not failing this little guy, he's lucky to have you :hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Oh Sweetheart, I am just so upset for you. Maybe the dosage is wrong. Maybe your giving him too much? I would stop for sure. Can you get any fluids into him to maybe help him get rid of it?

I can't imagine how stressed you are right now.

Big Time prayers coming.

Ginger

liltweets

Jogging around the block
I'm so sorry you're going through this...but no med should hurt more than it helps. You're not failing this little guy, he's lucky to have you :hug8:
Thank you, he is such a sweet little boy. I love him so much. I wish I hadn't given him the med today. Yesterday when he was holding his wings out he wasn't breathing real hard like he's doing now. The reaction is worse today.

Oh Sweetheart, I am just so upset for you. Maybe the dosage is wrong. Maybe your giving him too much? I would stop for sure. Can you get any fluids into him to maybe help him get rid of it?

I can't imagine how stressed you are right now.

Big Time prayers coming.

Ginger
Thank you for the prayers Ginger, I'm praying so hard. I wonder if a little milk thistle would get it out of him?
I'm afraid to give him anything by mouth until his breathing slows down.

I have a call into the home vet that I've used before, the receptionist said he hasn't called back yet.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I don't want to be negative at a time like this, but gosh darn those vets. It seems that they just aren't there for you when you need them. Maybe it's just because it's the holidays?

Ginger

liltweets

Jogging around the block
I don't want to be negative at a time like this, but gosh darn those vets. It seems that they just aren't there for you when you need them. Maybe it's just because it's the holidays?

Ginger
It doesn't sound negative, it's frustrating me to death. My vet is out of town and the on call emergency vet isn't answering his cell phone for the receptionist. Yeah, it's the holidays but animals have emergencies then too. :(

ML, did your birdy have any reaction to the DMSA? Does it work on all metals?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
waiting here with you for the effects to wear off. :hug8: for Buddy.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Oh I am so sorry to hear his breathing is still rough....I hope that vet calls you back soon. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.