• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I cannot give him this chelation med anymore, it's going to kill him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Dr. B called me back himself!!!! I have an appointment with him at 10:30 in the morning!!!!!!! :bounce5:
Thank you Ginger!!!!!!:hug8:

It's 3 hours from here but he said he would not wait until Monday to start Buddy on something else for chelation.

He said the compounding pharmacy he uses won't be open until Monday but that he does have some CaEDTA that is just now going out of date and that it would be better than doing nothing and it would most likely still work. He said it usually goes out of date after about 6 weeks and that's about how long he's had it, almost 6 weeks.

He also said that the med Buddy was on (pennicillimine) was good for lead but not so much for zinc. And since the blood work isn't back yet we don't know which it is. CaEDTA is good for both. He said he would rather not do the DMSA because sometimes the horrible odor will cause a bird to regurgitate it back up.

Also, he said if Buddy was going to react to the CaEDTA he would do it with the injection and it wouldn't be delayed like doing the other one by mouth, that it would happen right away and we will be RIGHT THERE if Buddy has problems with it.

I called the vet that is an hour and 1/2 from here and the number they have on their answering machine for avian emergencies, when I called, they have no avian vet there and referred me back to the vet I called to start with that referred me to them :huh::mad:. Isn't that crazy?!

Dr. B sounds very knowledgeable. And very personable.

Oh! and he also said he has seen improvement after just one injection! :dancing::dancing::dancing:

Buddy and I will have a long trip, but well worth it. Now just wish us luck on not getting lost. :rolleyes:
:dance4::dance4::dance5::dance5::dancing::dancing::hug8:
I am so excited that you are going to him!!!!!
Map out your travel ahead of time and take a look at it BEFORE you go....
Please let us know when you get home and drive careful....allow enough time in case you do get lost!:hug8:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Jackson my qp had a 5 shot course of caEDTA many years ago. No reaction but increased urination so the doc stopped at 4. Wishing you the best for lil Buddy :hug8:

liltweets

Jogging around the block

:dance4::dance4::dance5::dance5::dancing::dancing::hug8:
I am so excited that you are going to him!!!!!
Map out your travel ahead of time and take a look at it BEFORE you go....
Please let us know when you get home and drive careful....allow enough time in case you do get lost!:hug8:
I'm excited too! I just printed out directions to and from there. I'll leave an hour early just in case I get lost.

He sounded awesome on the phone. He said there are maybe 10 days a year he isn't on call. I've ordered from the Birdie Boutique before. It gets here overnight with standard shipping because I'm close.

Jackson my qp had a 5 shot course of caEDTA many years ago. No reaction but increased urination so the doc stopped at 4. Wishing you the best for lil Buddy :hug8:
That's good to know. At least he'll be in the right place if he does react. I think he'll be fine on it though.

Whew, what a relief to have finally found a vet to see him!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I am sorry Buddy has been not feeling well and reacting badly to the meds. I think it is a good idea you are stopping the meds because obviously something in it is not agreeing with him. Good luck and please let us know how he is doing today.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Wonderful news, Deb. You must feel so much better now that you know you are going to see a vet that is good and that cares.
ML

liltweets

Jogging around the block
I am sorry Buddy has been not feeling well and reacting badly to the meds. I think it is a good idea you are stopping the meds because obviously something in it is not agreeing with him. Good luck and please let us know how he is doing today.
Thank you Miriam. He's not feeling too good most of the time today but we have an appt. with Dr. B tomorrow! :)

Wonderful news, Deb. You must feel so much better now that you know you are going to see a vet that is good and that cares.
ML
Oh Mary Lynn, I feel so much better. I'm so relieved I cannot tell you. :hug8:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Don't forget to write all of your questions down and take them with you. Don't leave your list on the kitchen table like I do.
ML

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw, well you tell Buddy that he needs to fight to get better because his mommy is doing such a good job to try to help him. I hope he gets better soon! Good luck at the vets :)

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Deb is meeting Dr. B today. Buddy is going down hill. He said for her to call him when she's 45 minutes away. Please keep them both in your prayers as she makes this trip.

Ginger

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Will do Ginger. I hope Dr. B is able to help.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts. I hope Dr. B can get him feeling much better :hug8:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Keeping both of them in my prayers!
Thank you for the update!:hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Huge prayers going out to Deb and Buddy..hang in there sweetheart..:heart:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Deb is meeting Dr. B today. Buddy is going down hill. He said for her to call him when she's 45 minutes away. Please keep them both in your prayers as she makes this trip.

Ginger
Is this SINCE her last update? Do you mean he is going downhill in the car?

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Danita, I think she had an appointment in the morning...so something happened since her posting of that....if she is on her way now...things have really gone downhill for Buddy today:hug8:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award