• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I cannot give him this chelation med anymore, it's going to kill him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
How has the evening gone Deb? Is he resting? Did he eat this evening?

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Hi Pat, he ate a little seed and I fed him some pellet mash. He's sleeping now. I'm hoping the few doses he has had will be enough to have pulled some of the metal out of his blood stream to hold until Monday. I hope he'll be perky in the morning like he was this morning before I gave him the med. I'm also going to call the home emergency avian vet again tomorrow and over the weekend if I can't get him tomorrow.

I think Buddy is doing better than I am right now. I am totally worn out mentally and crying from watching him fight the med today. I feel so bad for him.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I totally understand Deb. Do you have any Cammomile Tea? Maybe make yourself some and just sit quietly. I know how stressed I was too, it is quite an ordeal when you have never dealt with anything like this. I will send him some healing energy and good prayers tonight. I am sure the peanut butter and metamucil will help and hopefully with none of that medication tomorrow he will feel better. Little stinker, he sure is lucky to have you. :hug8: Try to get some rest and when you drift off just picture him happy and healing.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
I totally understand Deb. Do you have any Cammomile Tea? Maybe make yourself some and just sit quietly. I know how stressed I was too, it is quite an ordeal when you have never dealt with anything like this. I will send him some healing energy and good prayers tonight. I am sure the peanut butter and metamucil will help and hopefully with none of that medication tomorrow he will feel better. Little stinker, he sure is lucky to have you. :hug8: Try to get some rest and when you drift off just picture him happy and healing.
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Kept you both in my prayers.

Ginger

Quest

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Judy
Deb,
Been thinking of you and Buddy.
I'm saying a prayer for you both. Let us know
how it's going.
Judy

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I hope you and Buddy both had a restful night. How is he doing now? :hug5:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Deb said some prayers for you and Buddy last night and this morning. I hope you are both feeling rested this morning. :hug8:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Looking forward in hearing how things are going this AM!:hug8:

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Kept you both in my prayers.

Ginger

Deb,
Been thinking of you and Buddy.
I'm saying a prayer for you both. Let us know
how it's going.
Judy

I hope you and Buddy both had a restful night. How is he doing now? :hug5:
Deb said some prayers for you and Buddy last night and this morning. I hope you are both feeling rested this morning. :hug8:
Looking forward in hearing how things are going this AM!:hug8:
Thank you all for your prayers and good thoughts. :hug8:

He ate on his own this morning. I can tell he's still tired. I'm sure the battle he had with the med yesterday along with the metal toxicity itself has worn him out. I'm getting ready to call the emergency exotic home vet. If he is (big if) on call should I start him on another chelation med today or give him a break until Monday?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Ok, how long after the meds did he show the bad reactions?

If you phone the home vet you can explain the problem, and if he gives the med, he should also see the reaction and have the meds to pull him out of it.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Ok, how long after the meds did he show the bad reactions?

If you phone the home vet you can explain the problem, and if he gives the med, he should also see the reaction and have the meds to pull him out of it.
It was within an hour, it wasn't immediately.
The home vet isn't answering. He may be my best option, just in case Buddy does have a reaction. Hopefully he'll be back by at least Monday.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
My gut instinct is telling me no more chelation meds for at least today, except maybe peanut butter if he likes it.

His little system and spirits need a break.

Ginger

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
I'm only just seeing this. Sorry I can't help but I'm sending Buddy many healing vibes and hope he'll get better very soon, poor little thing! :(

liltweets

Jogging around the block
My gut instinct is telling me no more chelation meds for at least today, except maybe peanut butter if he likes it.

His little system and spirits need a break.
Ginger
That's what I'm thinking too, he needs a break. He loves the peanut butter and metamucil.

I wouldn't give him anymore until you have reassurance from a Doctor AND quick access in case something goes wrong
I'm thinking of sitting in the vet's office when I give him the next med he prescribes. That was so scary. I thought I was losing him.

I'm only just seeing this. Sorry I can't help but I'm sending Buddy many healing vibes and hope he'll get better very soon, poor little thing! :(
Thank you!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Deb personally I would take a break and just do the PB & metamucil, that in itself will help. Just relax with him today, keep him warm and do your supportive care. I am sending out my care package to you tomorrow priority mail. :hug8:

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Deb personally I would take a break and just do the PB & metamucil, that in itself will help. Just relax with him today, keep him warm and do your supportive care. I am sending out my care package to you tomorrow priority mail. :hug8:
That's what I'll do. He needs a break and so do I. I think we're both just worn out. I know he is. Thank you for sending the package.:hug8:

Someone from Dr. B's office called me just now. She asked questions and I told her everything that has been going on with him, including the reaction. She's going to talk to Dr. B and call me back in a little while. Wow, Dr. B didn't leave the planet today like the ones around here? :rolleyes:

Buddy is giving his favorite toy kisses and talking. He's feeling better for now.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
You're welcome Deb. Oh good, I hope you hear from Dr B..I have heard some very good things about him. Please let us know.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Dr. B called me back himself!!!! I have an appointment with him at 10:30 in the morning!!!!!!! :bounce5:
Thank you Ginger!!!!!!:hug8:

It's 3 hours from here but he said he would not wait until Monday to start Buddy on something else for chelation.

He said the compounding pharmacy he uses won't be open until Monday but that he does have some CaEDTA that is just now going out of date and that it would be better than doing nothing and it would most likely still work. He said it usually goes out of date after about 6 weeks and that's about how long he's had it, almost 6 weeks.

He also said that the med Buddy was on (pennicillimine) was good for lead but not so much for zinc. And since the blood work isn't back yet we don't know which it is. CaEDTA is good for both. He said he would rather not do the DMSA because sometimes the horrible odor will cause a bird to regurgitate it back up.

Also, he said if Buddy was going to react to the CaEDTA he would do it with the injection and it wouldn't be delayed like doing the other one by mouth, that it would happen right away and we will be RIGHT THERE if Buddy has problems with it.

I called the vet that is an hour and 1/2 from here and the number they have on their answering machine for avian emergencies, when I called, they have no avian vet there and referred me back to the vet I called to start with that referred me to them :huh::mad:. Isn't that crazy?!

Dr. B sounds very knowledgeable. And very personable.

Oh! and he also said he has seen improvement after just one injection! :dancing::dancing::dancing:

Buddy and I will have a long trip, but well worth it. Now just wish us luck on not getting lost. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.