• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I cannot give him this chelation med anymore, it's going to kill him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Ohhh Deb, I'm saying prayers that Buddy continues to improve while you're waiting for the vet. You are being such a good parront. I am proud of your efforts to reassure Buddy and keep him calm. And I want to give him scritches for trying to calm you too. :hug5:

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
BTW, this recipe shows up on lots of bird sites. But I never see how much to give. I would say 1/8 tsp probably.

I might leave out the garlic too.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I will keep him in my prayers! You are doing a great job with him!

cavinriddle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cavin
Deb I know how you feel. My B&G was really bad last week at this time and we was going crazy not being able to get him to a vet b/c we couldn't find one that was open. Today hes in there chattering away like nothing was wrong today. So keep positive thoughts and keep you faith. They give us a scare just like our kids. Keeping you in our thoughts. I don't know where your at b/c I am new here so I don't know everyone yet.. But if your close to Nashville let me know and I will give you the # to a great vet.. Better yet email me at cavinriddle@gmail.com and I will get the message faster that way if you really need it..

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Deb if you want to wait until things settle a bit but I would give this Chelation Pesto a try. Ask you vet or Dr B about it when you speak to him.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
BTW, this recipe shows up on lots of bird sites. But I never see how much to give. I would say 1/8 tsp probably.

I might leave out the garlic too.
Thank you, I'm going to check that recipe out. I'm going to do a lot of research. I'm hoping there is a natural way to do this. Or if another med, one that won't darn near kill my poor baby.

Deb I know how you feel. My B&G was really bad last week at this time and we was going crazy not being able to get him to a vet b/c we couldn't find one that was open. Today hes in there chattering away like nothing was wrong today. So keep positive thoughts and keep you faith. They give us a scare just like our kids. Keeping you in our thoughts. I don't know where your at b/c I am new here so I don't know everyone yet.. But if your close to Nashville let me know and I will give you the # to a great vet.. Better yet email me at cavinriddle@gmail.com and I will get the message faster that way if you really need it..
I remember your thread. It is very scary when you can't get in touch with a vet. I'm so glad your B&G is ok! Thanks for the email addy, I'm a few states away from ya. :)

ohmygod sending positive thoughts and prayers his:hug8:way
Thank you Anne!

Deb what about the recipe I listed? Lets see if Dr B can help you, I sure hope so. I feel so bad for what you are going through. These vets sure put their personal time before their profession that is for sure. :(
I'm going to research it and other things. I didn't hear back from Dr. B either. I know he's very busy. Yeah, they sure do put their personal time before their profession. (Not saying that about Dr. B, I don't know him, just heard of him). They need more vets around here to be on call for different holidays AND weekends.

Aww Deb what a little sweetheart Buddy is..trying to give you a kiss. We are here for you Deb, hoping some of the information you get here can pull you through until you can pin this darn vet down or Dr. B can help you. Have a good cry and get it out of your system. I wish I we were there with you, all we can do is offer our cyber support and hugs to you. :hug8: If you need some handfeeding forumula or Formula One Deb please let me know, I would be happy to send some to you.
Isn't he just too sweet? To throw me kisses when he felt so bad. I know he felt my worry, he had to. I just found your PM, I don't know how I missed it. My head is screwed on backwards at this point I think. Thank you, that would be great. I'll PM you my address.

I have seen this recipe many times for natural cheleation.

This is from the quaker parrot forum

Cilantro Chelation Pesto

Heavy metal poisoning is rampant. It is a major cause of hormonal imbalances, cancer, thyroid problems, neurological disturbances, learning problems, depression, food allergies, parasites, etc. etc. This is a great recipe that is not only easy to make but also really yummy, and it tells you how to remove heavy metals from the body!

Cilantro is truly a healing food. One friend suffering from high blood pressure due to mercury poisoning had her blood pressure return to normal after eating two teaspoons of this pesto daily for only a week. So whether you need to detoxify heavy metals from your body or just wish to use it as a preventative measure, 2 teaspoons a day is all you need to take. This pesto has now become a regular in my diet. Enjoy!

Cilantro Chelation Pesto

4 cloves of garlic
1/3 cup of Brazil nuts (selenium)
1/3 cup sunflower seeds (cysteine)
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (zinc, magnesium)
2 cups packed fresh cilantro (coriander, Chinese parsley) (vitamin A)
2/3 cup flaxseed oil
4 tablespoons lemon juice (vitamin C)
2 tsp dulse powder
Sea salt to taste (no salt necessary for birds)

Process the cilantro and flaxseed oil in a blender until the coriander is chopped. Add the garlic, nuts and seeds, dulse and lemon juice and mix until the mixture is finely blended into a paste. Add a pinch to sea salt to taste and blend again. Store in dark glass jars if possible. It freezes well, so purchase cilantro in season and fill enough jars to last through the year.

Cilantro has been proven to chelate toxic metals from our bodies in a relatively short period of time. Combined with the benefits of the other ingredients, this recipe is a powerful tissue cleanser.

Two teaspoons of this pesto daily for three weeks is purportedly enough to increase the urinary excretion of mercury, lead, and aluminum, thus effectively removing these toxic metals from our bodies. We can consider doing this cleanse for three weeks at least once a year. The pesto is delicious on toast, baked potatoes, and pasta.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wonder how long it would take to see an improvement on something like this. His symptoms of metal toxicity are pretty pronounced at this point. I would love to talk to someone that has used it.

Still praying for your little one...glad he is doing a little better.
Thank you!

Ohhh Deb, I'm saying prayers that Buddy continues to improve while you're waiting for the vet. You are being such a good parront. I am proud of your efforts to reassure Buddy and keep him calm. And I want to give him scritches for trying to calm you too. :hug5:
Thank you! I'll give him some scritches and kisses from you.

I will keep him in my prayers! You are doing a great job with him!
Thank you!

Deb if you want to wait until things settle a bit but I would give this Chelation Pesto a try. Ask you vet or Dr B about it when you speak to him.
I don't think my vet would think much of it. He isn't much on natural things. I'm open to anything that will help my baby and not do more harm than good. My vet doesn't have to approve :D

I hope I didn't miss anyone, I read back through the posts, if I did I'm sorry, I read each and every one of them. I think I answered them all. You all don't know how much it meant today to have you "here" with me. I thank you and Buddy thanks you.
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
STOP THE MEDS. IT CAN KILL HIM!! I know this from personal experience. Go to www.holisticbird.org. At the top of the page is a search box to key in info. I have old posting there that explains what to do when a bird has a reaction. Right now i can not remember what I did, but the search box will bring up a Google type page with links to various old postings. it should even have some suggested alternative safe tyreatments. If I remember correctly I had to use Epinephrine (also called Stop Shock) diluted with 10 parts latctated rings and given IM. Phone around sometimes larger feed stors may have it. In addition do you know of anyone that can give Sub-Q fluids? The holistic site will give the most details. In the interim if you can't find the Sop Shock, phone every local vet to see if they have it and if they can give an injection from the info above (dilution)

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
WOW!!! The above recipe posted by Deb is awesome. In addition hydration (preferrably initial Sub-Q) is a must because the kidneys can be damaged and shut down.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Susanne the recipe is from holisticbird.org. I posted the same one as well.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
"By srtiels -STOP THE MEDS. IT CAN KILL By HIM!! I know this from personal experience"

Deb did stop the meds and Buddy has stabilized. She is not able to contact a vet in her area (she has tried very hard) and she will be giving Buddy supportive care until she can reach her vet on Mon. She knows to keep him well hydrated and is doing so.
ML

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Susanne the recipe is from holisticbird.org. I posted the same one as well.
--------------------------------

Good...much of the ingredients also act as added support to the immune system. Right now with his body stressing from a bad reaction to the meds, his system needs all the help we can give. In this state he is very vulnerable to secondary yeast and/or bacterial problems.

Also...when the vet drew the blood do you remeber what color top (metal ring around the stopper of the vial) was. If green, the metal in the top also contains zinc, and can give a positive for zinc whether the bird has it or not.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Hi Susanne, I don't know anyone that can do subq and I cannot find a vet anywhere. Even the home emergency vet is not answering his page according to the girl that was answering the phone for him today. I called another one an hour in the other direction and he wasn't in the office today. I even called Dr. B in NC. I haven't heard from anyone.

I remember reading on holistic bird about the green stopper. I told my vet about it. When the tech came into the room with the blood it was just in a plastic type container, not a vial. I hope that's ok.

Oh, you can bet he will never get this med again, nor the CaEdta that I've read horrible things about. I saw your name on holistic bird, I wondered if that was you.

I'm going to go the natural route I do believe. Unless the DMSO is safer? This is so very scary.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
I think it's DMSA, not DMSO, I would have to go back and read.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, it's a common mistake. DMSO is a commercial solvent that is sometimes used to reduce swelling. I use it on Jasper's foot that has severe arthritis. My vet recommended it.

As far as the sub-q hydration is concerned - does he need it? I wouldn't worry unless you see evidence that he is becoming dehydrated. On my macaws I can tell if they are dehydrated by looking at their toes. If they are well hydrated their toes are nice and fat. When dehydrated the sides of the toes are sunken in.

Is Buddy still stable?
ML

Last edited:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
DMSA is a lead chelator. And DMSO can be used to rub on skin to make meds more effecient, which in this case I would avoid.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Just reading through this Deb. I have no advice to offer but wanted to send you a cyber hug :hug8:

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Yes, it's a common mistake. DMSO is a commercial solvent that is sometimes used to reduce swelling. I use it on Jasper's foot that has severe arthritis. My vet recommended it.

As far as the sub-q hydration is concerned - does he need it? I wouldn't worry unless you see evidence that he is becoming dehydrated. On my macaws I can tell if they are dehydrated by looking at their toes. If they are well hydrated their toes are nice and fat. When dehydrated the sides of the toes are sunken in.

Is Buddy still stable?
ML
His breathing is back to normal but of course he still has the symptoms of metal toxicity. I'll watch for dehydration. :hug8:

DMSA is a lead chelator. And DMSO can be used to rub on skin to make meds more effecient, which in this case I would avoid.
I meant DMSA :) :hug8:

Just reading through this Deb. I have no advice to offer but wanted to send you a cyber hug :hug8:
Thank you! :hug8:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Aloe Detox is another good thing to have around. It's also all natural.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Oh Deb, I'm so glad to hear his breathing is back to normal, I hope he continues to stay strong and is better soon.:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.