• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I cannot give him this chelation med anymore, it's going to kill him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I think that's an excellent idea. I don't want to bother Gary, but I would feel a whole lot better if BF or Bonnie saw this thread.

Ginger

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Deb, is he still breathing hard?

vancha

Sprinting down the street
This is really scary... Respiratory symptoms are some of the scariest ones to watch your bird suffer with. Personally, I believe if he hasn't calmed down he probably requires oxygen. The medication could be doing all sorts of things with him. I'm not trying to scare you, but an allergic reaction can be incredibly dangerous, as we know from human allergies. An inflammation of the trachea or something akin to that is not good. He could have something akin to anaphylactic shock. Yet again, I'm not trying to scare you... I am holding in there for you and Buddy, and best wishes your way. I wish there were something we all could do. I find it completely unforgivable that these vets are not here for you at all times. Considering a career in avian medicine myself, I know I'd never leave a patient hanging like this. It is like a human doctor doing so. Like I said... Unforgivable.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Is there any sound coming from his mouth/beak or only heavy breathing? Is it possible you got liquid down his windpipe? If you do hear any noises from the mouth, I would suggest not placing any more liquids of any kind into his mouth. Can he drink on his own?

I too agree that stopping the meds is probably wise at this time. I would also complain to your A.V. when you get ahold of him that the back up vet is not answering/responding to calls/messages. Also give the emergency vet himself a piece of your mind, as there is no excuse for not responding to messages, asap, IMO.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Oh Deb I am so sorry. I agree I would stop the meds immediately. Just do the peanut butter and metamucil therapy, keep him warm, handfeeding. I am so sorry you are having such a hard time. I wish your vet was more available to you.:hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Deb your thread has been moved to 911. Hang in there we will get as many experienced people on here for you as we can. :hug8:

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
Oh my goodness, I just read this and my heart is going out to poor Buddy and you Deb! I never saw this reaction when Chewie was on this med for his elevated zinc level. I'll be thinking of you both and hope you get a call from the vet soon! hang in there!
:hug8:

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Sweetheart, I don't know where you are but Dr. B always answers questions and he is in Raleigh NC. You can call him and he will call you back.

Here is the link

Ask the Board Certified <BR>Avian Veterinarian

Ginger
Thank you Ginger, I called and left a msg.

Does anyone have ideas on what would help for the panting?
Maybe this should be moved to the 911, I am on my phone, I can't.
THank you

I think that's an excellent idea. I don't want to bother Gary, but I would feel a whole lot better if BF or Bonnie saw this thread.

Ginger
hugs

Deb, is he still breathing hard?
It has calmed down, his beak is closed now but he still has his wings out a little

This is really scary... Respiratory symptoms are some of the scariest ones to watch your bird suffer with. Personally, I believe if he hasn't calmed down he probably requires oxygen. The medication could be doing all sorts of things with him. I'm not trying to scare you, but an allergic reaction can be incredibly dangerous, as we know from human allergies. An inflammation of the trachea or something akin to that is not good. He could have something akin to anaphylactic shock. Yet again, I'm not trying to scare you... I am holding in there for you and Buddy, and best wishes your way. I wish there were something we all could do. I find it completely unforgivable that these vets are not here for you at all times. Considering a career in avian medicine myself, I know I'd never leave a patient hanging like this. It is like a human doctor doing so. Like I said... Unforgivable.
I'm going to watch him since it's calming down some. I dont have anywhere to take him. I even called a vet an hour in the opposite direction and he isnt' in today!!!!! My gosh, what is it with the vets around here and not having back up? I agree, totally unforgiveable. 4-5 hours north of here there is a great 3 story clinic with avian vets on call 24/7 365. here only hole in the wall vets that forget their patients after 5 , weekends, and holidays.
So frustrating, makes me so mad!!!!!!!!

Is there any sound coming from his mouth/beak or only heavy breathing? Is it possible you got liquid down his windpipe? If you do hear any noises from the mouth, I would suggest not placing any more liquids of any kind into his mouth. Can he drink on his own?

I too agree that stopping the meds is probably wise at this time. I would also complain to your A.V. when you get ahold of him that the back up vet is not answering/responding to calls/messages. Also give the emergency vet himself a piece of your mind, as there is no excuse for not responding to messages, asap, IMO.
No, no noises at all. No more open beak breathing. Yes, I think I will give him a piece of my mind if I don't calm down. I want to be civil but I have cussed them all today here at home, if they only knew.

Oh Deb I am so sorry. I agree I would stop the meds immediately. Just do the peanut butter and metamucil therapy, keep him warm, handfeeding. I am so sorry you are having such a hard time. I wish your vet was more available to you.:hug8:
Thank you, no more med. I'm afraid of all of the chelation meds now. I want to find something natural that will work. I wish I had the money to pay Dr. David McCluggage. Maybe I'll see how much he charges for a phone consult.

Deb your thread has been moved to 911. Hang in there we will get as many experienced people on here for you as we can. :hug8:
Thank you so much.

Sorry for any sentences that don't make sense, I didn't proof read and I'm typing fast. I'm so nervous.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Deb, take a deep breath....let it out slowly....now take another one and let it out slowly....it is so VERY important that you have a calm mind and body to help Buddy...he will pick up your stress and this is not good for him...you have some great help in ML and taking things one step at a time right now is best...
Is Buddy in the carrier or back in his cage? He needs warmth now and calmness...Glad the ginger water is helping him:hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Deb what about the recipe I listed? Lets see if Dr B can help you, I sure hope so. I feel so bad for what you are going through. These vets sure put their personal time before their profession that is for sure. :(

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
"............He was acting so much better this morning before the med. He was playing and eating on his own. He was talking and doing the kissies. I give him the med and he gets nauseated and does the heavy breathing.

My vet won't be back until Monday so the med can't be changed until then and no other vet will help me because they haven't seen Buddy. Plus, we are bordering on broke, I want to take him to see another vet since mine is out of town, but after spending out on my bird fund and $400 on top of it, I can't.

What do I do? Do I take him off of it until Monday? Is he breathing hard because he's nauseated? Is it a bad reaction? like an allergy? I wish I knew but either way I cannot watch him breathe hard like that with his wings open a little. I know that is not good at all................."
If he is/was truly eating on his own like you said above, then he should also be able to drink on his own. I really would NOT be giving him anything at all that he does not eat or drink or take in on his own, from a free standing vessel at the bottom of the cage/enclosure. Just try and let him relax and try not to stress him any further by handling him. Keep him comfy temp. wise and wait out this current bout of labored breathing - unless you can get him to an experienced A.V. asap.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I am relieved to hear he is a little better

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
ohmygod sending positive thoughts and prayers his:hug8:way

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Deb, take a deep breath....let it out slowly....now take another one and let it out slowly....it is so VERY important that you have a calm mind and body to help Buddy...he will pick up your stress and this is not good for him...you have some great help in ML and taking things one step at a time right now is best...
Is Buddy in the carrier or back in his cage? He needs warmth now and calmness...Glad the ginger water is helping him:hug8:
Thank BF, he knew I was upset. He did a couple kissy sounds even when he was breathing so hard. I think he was trying to make ME feel better. Poor baby. I'm breathing. Trying. He's in the carrier. :hug8:

Deb what about the recipe I listed? Lets see if Dr B can help you, I sure hope so. I feel so bad for what you are going through. These vets sure put their personal time before their profession that is for sure. :(
I think someone said it was for natural zinc? I'll have to re read it. I think I'll join and ask on the Yahoo group for holistic bird. :hug8:

If he is/was truly eating on his own like you said above, then he should also be able to drink on his own. I really would NOT be giving him anything at all that he does not eat or drink or take in on his own, from a free standing vessel at the bottom of the cage/enclosure. Just try and let him relax and try not to stress him any further by handling him. Keep him comfy temp. wise and wait out this current bout of labored breathing - unless you can get him to an experienced A.V. asap.
Sometimes he eats and drinks on his own, sometimes not. I have to feed him when he doesn't eat because some days he'll go all day long and some times he'll eat what's in his cage. But for right now, until he is breathing normally again, I'm leaving him where he is. I'm hoping Dr. B is in today and will call me back.

I am relieved to hear he is a little better
Me too, still breathing a little harder and faster than usual, but better. whew! Now mom needs her own little glass of med. :hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Aww Deb what a little sweetheart Buddy is..trying to give you a kiss. We are here for you Deb, hoping some of the information you get here can pull you through until you can pin this darn vet down or Dr. B can help you. Have a good cry and get it out of your system. I wish I we were there with you, all we can do is offer our cyber support and hugs to you. :hug8: If you need some handfeeding forumula or Formula One Deb please let me know, I would be happy to send some to you.

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I have seen this recipe many times for natural cheleation.

This is from the quaker parrot forum

Cilantro Chelation Pesto

Heavy metal poisoning is rampant. It is a major cause of hormonal imbalances, cancer, thyroid problems, neurological disturbances, learning problems, depression, food allergies, parasites, etc. etc. This is a great recipe that is not only easy to make but also really yummy, and it tells you how to remove heavy metals from the body!

Cilantro is truly a healing food. One friend suffering from high blood pressure due to mercury poisoning had her blood pressure return to normal after eating two teaspoons of this pesto daily for only a week. So whether you need to detoxify heavy metals from your body or just wish to use it as a preventative measure, 2 teaspoons a day is all you need to take. This pesto has now become a regular in my diet. Enjoy!

Cilantro Chelation Pesto

4 cloves of garlic
1/3 cup of Brazil nuts (selenium)
1/3 cup sunflower seeds (cysteine)
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (zinc, magnesium)
2 cups packed fresh cilantro (coriander, Chinese parsley) (vitamin A)
2/3 cup flaxseed oil
4 tablespoons lemon juice (vitamin C)
2 tsp dulse powder
Sea salt to taste (no salt necessary for birds)

Process the cilantro and flaxseed oil in a blender until the coriander is chopped. Add the garlic, nuts and seeds, dulse and lemon juice and mix until the mixture is finely blended into a paste. Add a pinch to sea salt to taste and blend again. Store in dark glass jars if possible. It freezes well, so purchase cilantro in season and fill enough jars to last through the year.

Cilantro has been proven to chelate toxic metals from our bodies in a relatively short period of time. Combined with the benefits of the other ingredients, this recipe is a powerful tissue cleanser.

Two teaspoons of this pesto daily for three weeks is purportedly enough to increase the urinary excretion of mercury, lead, and aluminum, thus effectively removing these toxic metals from our bodies. We can consider doing this cleanse for three weeks at least once a year. The pesto is delicious on toast, baked potatoes, and pasta.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Still praying for your little one...glad he is doing a little better.

Status
Not open for further replies.