• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I cannot decipher this one.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
All right, Burt is a bit of a conundrum with this for me.

He does not want anyone touching him. He doesn’t want Tteok or Pudge anywhere near him. He will fight anything. Dude wakes up and chooses violence.

But he will raise holy hell if I leave the room. He seems to panic if Tteok flies around the corner out of sight. He doesn’t seem to care too much about Pudge. Probably because Pudge is a jerk :roflmao:

Would I be correct in my thinking that Burt looks at us as his “flock” in that we’re around and are relatively safe, but not safe enough to allow direct contact? He’ll land on my head of his own accord, but I can’t try to touch him or he’ll bite me or take off again. Or both.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
A few new pics of dude from this morning. This is the first time I’ve seen him do the Quaker fatty puff.

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes you are part of the flock.

You can be part of a group and not want to be touched by everyone in that group ;) think of coworkers, as an example. Yes, you are all "in it together", and there is familiarity and comraderie, but that doesn't mean you want to hug all of them.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
If you need him off your head, lean down towards a perch, so that he can step down. Or, hold a perch, and lean your head down towards that. If he doesn’t like hands, you don’t have to sacrifice them each time.

Be sure to praise and treat for the ‘step down’. ;) I like to tap the perch just before presenting it to them. If he’s not keen on leaving just yet, back up and wait another minute, and give it another try after.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yup definitely flock behavior. Bosco doesn't let me touch him yet but if I leave the room he will softly flock call for a few mins. You're a constant in Burt's life and he looks to you as a familiar presence so when you leave its understandable that he's bothered by that.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Yup definitely flock behavior. Bosco doesn't let me touch him yet but if I leave the room he will softly flock call for a few mins. You're a constant in Burt's life and he looks to you as a familiar presence so when you leave its understandable that he's bothered by that.
Rupert still doesn’t grasp it when I tell him, “I’m just going to get the __food/bathing dish/my sanity__, I’m coming right back.”

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Rupert still doesn’t grasp it when I tell him, “I’m just going to get the __food/bathing dish/my sanity__, I’m coming right back.”
We know that Tobias sure didn't lol but Zazu eventually glommed on that id be coming back and we did our flock call whistle and all was well.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Yes you are part of the flock.

You can be part of a group and not want to be touched by everyone in that group ;) think of coworkers, as an example. Yes, you are all "in it together", and there is familiarity and comraderie, but that doesn't mean you want to hug all of them.
That makes sense, that’s a good analogy. Heck even some of my family I’m like “Yes we’re related. No touchy touchy.” :roflmao:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
If you need him off your head, lean down towards a perch, so that he can step down. Or, hold a perch, and lean your head down towards that. If he doesn’t like hands, you don’t have to sacrifice them each time.

Be sure to praise and treat for the ‘step down’. ;) I like to tap the perch just before presenting it to them. If he’s not keen on leaving just yet, back up and wait another minute, and give it another try after.
He’s a bit of a weird one - I can’t even get him to step to a perch. I’ve tried offering: hand, bare arm, sleeved arm, t-stand, regular perch, branch, toy type stand/perch, short perch, long perch, bribed perch (it’s a Y shape and I stuck millet in the split). All were a no. But he’s willing to land on my head, and miiiiiiight work his way to my shoulder if Pudge The Tail Yanker isn’t on me.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Gives me a little warm fuzzy, that does.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
That’s Tteok all over. He’ll even fly into another room, and then starts screaming because now he’s alone despite the fact that he put himself there :mad2:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
That’s Tteok all over. He’ll even fly into another room, and then starts screaming because now he’s alone despite the fact that he put himself there :mad2:
God help me… that’s gonna be Rupert, when he finally realizes the flappy things on his back can be deployed at will.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
think of coworkers, as an example. Yes, you are all "in it together", and there is familiarity and comraderie, but that doesn't mean you want to hug all of them.
:rnfrt:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
God help me… that’s gonna be Rupert, when he finally realizes the flappy things on his back can be deployed at will.
He makes me crazy. We’ll all be in one room, everyone chill, and he’ll shoot into the kitchen and just suddenly “AHHHHHH WHERE’D EVERYONE GO AHHHH”