• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I can hardly believe it I'm so Pleased

Status
Not open for further replies.

onthewingsofmacaws

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Patricia
Chatot let me touch him all over today for the first time usually he will allow head, neck, and beaky rubs but today I got to give him scritches under is wings and down his back and he even allow me to lift and pet his wings I can't hardly believe it its not only a new start of the new year but also the start of what looks to be a wonderful journey with my new Green wing. I'm just so delighted with the progress we have made in such a short time. He's only been with me 7 weeks. He is just the most awesome bird. And to think I wasn't sure how I felt about him when I first got him but he has really made me change my mind I just love him so much now:heart::heart::heart::hug8:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's wonderful! :) I think it takes a little while for some to settle in.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
As wonderful as it was, scritches under the wings is foreplay to a bird and could lead to other behavior problems. Head and neck scritches don't get them all riled up.

Ginger

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awwww, what a great way to say, "Happy New Year, Mom, I love you!"

M

M.C Bird Rescue

AWWW that is so great! I am happy for you and your progress with Chatot. I know how you have been longing for that love and trust. Congrats and I am sooo happy for you.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
As wonderful as it was, scritches under the wings is foreplay to a bird and could lead to other behavior problems. Head and neck scritches don't get them all riled up.

Ginger
That's wonderful that he is letting you touch him all over but as Ginger said the stroking down the back and under the wings is a "turn on" for birds. Be very mindful of that kind of behavior. It can lead to nasty things. He may also be letting you do that now if he is starting to get hormonal. That kind of behavior can be a trigger for that and even get the hormones flowing.

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Amazing break through! :swoon: Let the bonding & snuggles continue!!! :heart:

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Okay, I thought petting down the back & under wings is only hormonal triggers for hens as that is where the male beaks her & touches her in mating.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Okay, I thought petting down the back & under wings is only hormonal triggers for hens as that is where the male beaks her & touches her in mating.
Its very sexually stimulating for both sexes.

onthewingsofmacaws

Real Name
Patricia
Its very sexually stimulating for both sexes.
I know all about sexual triggers but Chatot is not even close to being sexually mature if he was then there is no way he would be getting any touching below the neck but because he is only 17 months old and GW don't become sexually mature until they are 5 or 6 years old. I don't see the harm. I want to try to harness train him before the summer and the only way I'm going to be able to do that is to be able to touch him all over you can't put a harness on a bird if they don't trust you enough to do that

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I am very happy for you both, I didn't know he was still a baby.

Ginger

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
I know all about sexual triggers but Chatot is not even close to being sexually mature if he was then there is no way he would be getting any touching below the neck but because he is only 17 months old and GW don't become sexually mature until they are 5 or 6 years old. I don't see the harm. I want to try to harness train him before the summer and the only way I'm going to be able to do that is to be able to touch him all over you can't put a harness on a bird if they don't trust you enough to do that
That's the way to do it! No worries, you know what you are doing & you're doing well! :highfive:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
very nice dear...keep it in mind for his not so nice days...k??

onthewingsofmacaws

Real Name
Patricia
very nice dear...keep it in mind for his not so nice days...k??
Don't worry right now I'm following his lead up until yesterday it was head and neck scritches then yesterday he rolled over on one side and lifted his wing to show and grabbed my hand with his foot to show me it was ok to scritch under his wings and give him a tummy tickle He's just a baby but he's a big baby I'll just contunue the way we are going and let him decide whats ok and whats not. the progress is just great considering I'm his 3rd home poor baby has been passed around way to much for his young age. People really need to do there research before they get a bird and breeders need to make sure that they have before selling them a bird especially the big guys they don't do well when they are pushed from home to home.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Im not 100% against touching of the wings and back even for adults. As it can help rescue birds to come around and to gain trust in hands. It can help a bird try new things like a harness and be more adventorous and willing. My comment about it being very sexually stimulating was in regards that its true for both sexes. And it can make a young bird prematurelly hit sexual hormones a couple of years too early. However doing it all the time in both the young and the older can lead to issues later. So there are both pros and cons to it.

onthewingsofmacaws

Real Name
Patricia
Im not 100% against touching of the wings and back even for adults. As it can help rescue birds to come around and to gain trust in hands. It can help a bird try new things like a harness and be more adventorous and willing. My comment about it being very sexually stimulating was in regards that its true for both sexes. And it can make a young bird prematurelly hit sexual hormones a couple of years too early. However doing it all the time in both the young and the older can lead to issues later. So there are both pros and cons to it.
I agree you have to watch their hormonal cycles and after years of haveing your birds you just know the time of the year that its best not to do any kind of body touching. I have an Amazon and a Macaw that are fairly hormonal right now so I stick to head and neck scritches no soft foods and 14 hours of sleep time. in a couple months when they have settled down then an occational pet down the back or lifting their wings for a touch or a tummy tickle just keeps the bond strong. You definatly have to watch their hormonal cycles as they Mature you don't want a sexually frustrated bird it can lead to so many other issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.