• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I bought Azalea wood perches & i’m unsure if i should give them to my lovebird or not.. Please help!!

sunrisebir

Moving in
Real Name
sunrisebirb
I bought Azalea wood perches online & at first i didn’t know that they were made out of azalea. I’ve searched online and it says that azalea wood is poisonous to birds, however, when i contacted the shop about this, they told me that it was safe and there’s no way that they would sell something poisonous to birds. The perches also have a very weird unnatural, shiny gloss to them. Please help me!! :(

Attachments

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Azalea (Rhododendron canadenis) is on my unsafe list. Also that sheen is not natural. I wonder who's making these?
You bought these online, can you leave a review?

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I’ve found dozens of sites that say azalea wood is not safe for birds of any kind. It contains cardiac glycosides which can cause poisoning. I would not trust the sales people at all on this one when they say it’s safe. Can you return them?

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with trying to return them. They're new & unused. They should stand behind their products. I'm sorry this happened to you. Some of our vendors make safe perches. You should check them out. My budgies love their platform perch from JLCribber.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Here's the link to JLCribber's store: Unique handcrafted parrot stuff by ParrotParaphernalia on Etsy

And here's the link to Oliver's Garden. My budgies like their custom made rope swings: Welcome to Oliver's Garden Bird Toys -

Both these vendors are in Canada. So if you, like many members, happen to be in the States, you can benefit from the conversion rate too.
All the 3 stores are experienced parrot parents and use safe materials plus they also look out for parrot safety in their products. Also they are tried and trusted by longtime members here.

sunrisebir

Moving in
Real Name
sunrisebirb
Azalea (Rhododendron canadenis) is on my unsafe list. Also that sheen is not natural. I wonder who's making these?
You bought these online, can you leave a review?
Hello thanks so much for the reply :) I will definitely not give this to my bird and will be returning it to the shop, this was bought from a chinese website online called taobao. I will also let them know that this is unsafe for birds so hopefully they would stop selling it!

sunrisebir

Moving in
Real Name
sunrisebirb
I’ve found dozens of sites that say azalea wood is not safe for birds of any kind. It contains cardiac glycosides which can cause poisoning. I would not trust the sales people at all on this one when they say it’s safe. Can you return them?
Thanks so much for the reply :) I will definitely not give this to my bird & i’ll return this to the shop! I’ll also let them know that this is unsafe for birds so hopefully they would stop selling these!

sunrisebir

Moving in
Real Name
sunrisebirb
I agree with trying to return them. They're new & unused. They should stand behind their products. I'm sorry this happened to you. Some of our vendors make safe perches. You should check them out. My budgies love their platform perch from JLCribber.
Thank u for the reply! I’ll definitely return this & i’ll check them out :)

sunrisebir

Moving in
Real Name
sunrisebirb
Here's the link to JLCribber's store: Unique handcrafted parrot stuff by ParrotParaphernalia on Etsy

And here's the link to Oliver's Garden. My budgies like their custom made rope swings: Welcome to Oliver's Garden Bird Toys -

Both these vendors are in Canada. So if you, like many members, happen to be in the States, you can benefit from the conversion rate too.
Sadly, i live in Singapore so there aren’t many bird shops where i can buy food and natural perches from :( but i’ll definitely check them out! Thanks so much!! :)

clarousel

Hi! I'm very late to the party because I've not been on here in a long time.

There are a few shops you can look for perches but I find them to be a bit pricey. My perches are from Shoppee - althought they're from China they have good reviews from other bird owners here :) no complaints from me either. I can send you the links if you wish.

I'm not too sure what trees are bird safe here, I know others pick branches to use but the only tree I know is safe are mango trees!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award