• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I better start a thread, about Holly

Status
Not open for further replies.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Thanks for the update. Thankfully just yeast, and no major bacteria. And the Diflucan is a systemic antifungal and you should see an improvement within a day or so.

>>>my scale is way off! I need a better one, he recommended one like his>>>
--------------

As to a scales. If you have an Office Max close by they have a nice scales that weighs in grams or ounces, and has a capacity up to 5lbs. What is nice is it has an auto shut-off (a real Must have) if you forget to turn it off, so that it doesn't drain the batteries (9V) The maker is Pelouze, and they run about $32-35. It's the one I used to weigh Gryphon. Also, it has a 'tare mode'...which means you can get the weight of the container first, and it deducts this from the total weight when you have a wiggly bird to weigh.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
It sounds like your vet did a good job explaining things. I hope she feels better soon.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks again everyone!:hug8: Things I missed~
he said the yogurt would be ok, but not to use the ACV. He said her ...., what are they called..hmm..the little hairs in the throat on the triangle..papillae? Anyway..she did not have many. If she were an older bird he would be concerned about that, but since she's young, he wasn't as concerned. I asked him what that could be from? He said insufficient diet. He told me to spread all kinds of foods out on the bottom of her cage, or somewhere flat, and let her learn to forage. He said if you see mostly clear..urates, but no solids in the feces, that can indicate dehydration. He did not feel she was in any extreme state, and that she would be fine. He said the little sneezy thing she is doing today, could have come from the water/ACV backing up on her yesterday. He said if he gave me antibiotics that would just cause more yeast. He was going to go with Nystatin, but changed at the end and went with the flucano-whatever you call that stuff..:)
Have to put away groceries, I am so far behind today, and totally exhausted from the stress....
I'll be back..

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Carole,I'm So glad that The Vet thinks He is going to Be OK:hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hi Miss Bonnie, thank you so much!:hug8:
Susanne, this is the Sterling scale my CAV has. It is awesome because it comes with a big basket for the little guys, and this handy dandy perch for the big guys. Keeps them from squirming around on a silvery plate, and giving inaccurate measure~ It also tares, and all that good stuff..
ParrotChronicles.com
this is an old article, and it appears the Sterling has been remodeled, but you can still get it with the T-stand, and a bowl. His has a metal basket and T-stand
http://sterlinghomeproducts.com/

here is another similar
http://www.myweigh.com/scales/medium-scales/i5000-birdscale
http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-3001p-avian-edition.aspx

Last edited:

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
*PFEW* Just read through all of this. Thank goodness Holly will be okay :hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thank you Missi!:)

southernbirds

Just saw this thread. You must be exhausted. I am, just reading through all this. Glad that Holly is going to be fine. How old is she and how long do you have her? You are a great bird mom and by Sunday, she will be back to herself. Glad you took her to the CAV. I know it's such a relief to have the peace of mind.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I am so glad to hear that Holly is going to be ok. Haven't been posting but I have been keeping up with the thread. :hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Just saw this thread. You must be exhausted. I am, just reading through all this. Glad that Holly is going to be fine. How old is she and how long do you have her? You are a great bird mom and by Sunday, she will be back to herself. Glad you took her to the CAV. I know it's such a relief to have the peace of mind.
Thank you Cherry.:hug8: Holly's hatchdate is 5/20/09. I have had her since the beginning of August. I was exhausted, and just woke up with a huge headache.This too shall pass...

I am so glad to hear that Holly is going to be ok. Haven't been posting but I have been keeping up with the thread. :hug8:
Thank you Chris!:hug8:

SaveOnScales.com - MyWeigh iBalance Digital Parts-Counting/Shipping/Kitchen/Hobby Scale Series - i2500 | i5000 | i5000H
Carole here is a really good price. I may order a new scale, I use a kitchen scale but this would be great! Glad Holly is going to be fine. Get some rest. :hug8:
Thanks Pat:hug8:, I will take a look when I wake up here in a bit. I had no idea my scale was so way off!:o:

I'm very relieved to see Holly should be doing better. :hug8:
Thanks Titanis!:hug8:It is so important to take these ques from them. If they seem not right, take them to the vet!! If money is an issue, put aside some in a fund just in case. I was talking to a friend on the phone last evening and she told me several stories of birds that died because their owner did not want to take them to the vet, complaining about the cost, or did not completely heed good advice.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
You are so right about that Carole. First sign that something isnt right, they need to be seen. The sooner we address what is going on, the better chance they will get better. My vet said the same thing, usually when they see birds they are on the bottom of the cage, too late. :(

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Yes, it was one of the things my CAV and his asst. agreed! I was so surprised. When they told me overall she looked good, I asked what condition other birds are when they see them, that are very sick? They said dehydrated, wings hanging down, hiding in a corner...often too late.:sad1:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Definitely their best chance is is sooner than later getting seen by a vet. Tests are difficult to run if they get critically ill, so running them while they are sick but not too sick increases the chances of successful treatment. They are so good at masking their illness, any little sign has to be taken so seriously. My vet comments, well - I trust your judgement because you know your bird but they look really good :) Almost every time there is something that is slightly off. They dont act the same at the vets office as they do at home - they really put on the show there because they are not in a familiar environment. Thats also why he prefers to send them home for care any time it is possible. You really do have to trust your instincts - sometimes they still look okay but there is that slight "look" they give and that is our cue to get them help.

Carole Im so glad that you took her in, you have been doing a great job :hug8: How does she seem today, as far as her appetite and behaviors?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Much better!!!:dance4: She took her meds, and I put her off on feeding until now. She is wailing to eat, so I had better go do it.:) Thanks Jill:hug8:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a good girl :D Im so glad to hear she is doing better :) Its sure nice when they take their medications without too much fuss. Cash still goes nuts when he sees the syringe, I hope to keep it that way. Makes giving medication so much easier :hehe:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
So, what would be anyone's thoughts on how all this happened, and how do I prevent it from happening again?:confused:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It can be a real mystery Carole. Sometimes no matter how clean you are, how fresh the food is, they can still pick up a bug of some sort. The best prevention is keeping things clean but if they pick something up that does not mean the environment is dirty.

If she was being fed more than she should have gotten, that is a possibility since the food sits in the crop longer than it should (again, not a guarantee).

Stress can make them susceptible too where normally they would just clear an infection on their own. Doesnt mean anything is being done wrong - growing up is a tough job for a bird.

A few things that come to mind (not saying this is the case but good for everyone to know that might not). Handfeeding forumula shouldnt be saved if its already mixed up (so dont refrigerate and reheat). Clean all handfeeding equipment with hot water and soap (rinse thoroughly). If any rags or sponges are used, make sure they are changed frequently as they will grow and harbor bacteria, etc.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Carole, just as Jill said - stuff happens.
ML

Status
Not open for further replies.