• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I better start a thread, about Holly

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Great advice everyone. Many prayers for you and Holly Carole, I hope you get everything resolved soon. :hug8: We are all here to support you through this.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I had rounded them off as much as possible...I was taught by my CAV how to extract stuff from the crop and flush it...but you really have to be careful...

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hi, wow..lots of great info, thank you all so much, and for the thoughts and prayers as well. I have her with me here,her crop feels better, I would say 95% empty now. Of course she is being fussy now, like she wants to be fed, but I will wait until the morning. Is there something safe I should be using other than mild dish soap to wash the containers and syringe I use for her feedings? PTB and Susanne asked what type and how much I have been feeding~
Holly will be 7 mo dec. 20th, her hatch date was 5/20/09. getting her to wean has been nearly impossible, partially perhaps because they hacked her wings so bad. In the last few days to a week, I have been trying to back off on the amount given. If given as much as she wants, she will take a full 60CC syringe, and a bit more. I feed Zupreem Embrace plus.I tried cutting off the morning feeding altogether, hoping it would encourage her to eat when the others do. Instead she just got deeper into what I call her 'baby mode'...crying, complaining, flicking her wings, and hiding under her toys. Today I went back to the morning feeding, she wanted a lot, so I gave her probably about 80CC or a bit more. Then I noticed that even though she had gotten her feeding, she was still acting funny, and her stools were very loose. Like a big splash of clear fluid, with a swash of light brown, and a small amount of white. I felt her crop and realized there was still quite a bit in it this afternoon, that's when I started really thinking something is wrong. After talking to BF, I gave her 1/2 tspn of ACV, in 30 CC water at 105F. She balked when she realized it wasn't formula, and a lot came back up. That's when she started choking, and all around her eyes turned red{she does this when stressed/upset} Right now she is acting playful, trying to get my ring, play with my jacket, and pooped on my leg...:o: I would say she is acting much better than earlier today, though still every few minutes making a light scream, not exactly begging to be fed like usual, but I think that's what she wants. I will call and get her in as soon as possible in the a.m.

Last edited:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm so sorry.. :sad1: prayers and thoughts plus lots of positive energy coming your way! :hug8::hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thank you:hug8:
Is there any reason I should think to keep her warm, or make a hospital tank or cage?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
OK...do you have her down to 2 feedings a day? If 3, start to reduce the middle feeding by a couple cc a day, and then stop it. Next start to reduce the morning feeding the same way. Hopefully if she will nibble on foods during the day so that all you would have to do is give a night feeding, which you will gradually reduce the amount over time.

If your still seeing alot of urine in the droppings you might want to use Pedialyte as the water for mixing the formula.

(((HUGS)))

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Yes...heat would be fine, especially after she has a full crop. If she likes to rest her crop down where she sits, you might fill a water bottle with warm water and place it where she rests her crop. This will keep the crop contents warm, and hopefully help if she still is slow on empying her crop.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks again Susanne, for everything. I went ahead and turned off the A/C, the air purifier in their room, covered her, and shut the door. She settled right down once covered.
Let me clarify the 'Christmas party', in case anyone would think I was 'out partying' when I should be home with my possibly sick baby. No not at all like that. As you see I was only gone a couple hours. The 'party' was really just a dinner, given by the man who owns the business where we park our vehicle/truck-that is our business, a mobile large truck repair business. I would have to go get Troy to pick him up about that time anyway, we just have my car and his truck. So we just stayed for dinner, then came home. It was good, but I was stressed and worried the whole time I was there.:( Glad to be home and know she seems to be a bit better. I will decide tomorrow if the crop is completely empty, if I should just go with the additions to her formula, or take her in to see the CAV anyway just to be safe. Susanne Holly is now on two feedings, it was the morning one I had just cut out in the last few days. A friend who raises RFM's told me to start to back off every two days on the amount of the night feeding. And had suggested I cut out the a.m.. It just seems to send her into this terrible place that she won't snap out of. She gets worse as time goes on{I tried this before} she starts to become angry, and tries to bite..normally she is pretty sweet, so this is not normal. I don't want her to see me as the one who starved her...she might begin to hate me.:(

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Carole, great to see an update and really happy to hear her crop has emptied! Its possible too that her trouble weaning could be partly due to a bacterial/fungal/yeast infection of some sort. Some babies just take a long time to wean. Sounds like you are on the right track, she just may need a little extra encouragement and help through. Im so glad you are able to do everything you can for her. It is tough, you want to do whats best but sometimes they dont make that easy for us :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Reading this thread again I believe I will take her in to to the CAV to be safe.;) Thanks Jill.:)

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Carole I am glad things seem a bit better. Will continue to keep you in my prayers. You have some great helpers here, as did I when Tequila was sick. :hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thank you so much Pat!:hug8:
Susanne, I would say her weight is about normal, but she is on the small side. She is 428 gm. Around her keel feels flat, not inward, but not real plump either.

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Carole, so sorry to hear about sweet Holly, I know you are stressed. My healing thoughts and prayers for you both that Holly is better in the morning. :hug8::hug8::hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks so much JR. I am stressed..I am going to go try to lay down and rest. Talk to you all tomorrow.:gn:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, First of all try and relax!

I have been out all day and just saw the thread. Here is what I would do with one of my birds. There is a lot of good advice in this thread but you can't do all of them at once. First of all as others noted I would not try to empty the crop yourself unless you have been shown by an avian vet or experienced bird person, just to risky. If the crop is partially full you can mix some warm water with ACV (Tsp/pint), with a few drops of red palm oil, or a pinch of digestive enzymes. If you massage the crop it has to be done gently and slowly, yes you can aspirate your bird if you are not careful . The next feeding I would add 6-10 drops of ACV or a pinch of digestive enzymes to the hand feeding formula. We keep Harrison's digestive enzymes here, a pinch of a quality product from a health food store would not hurt. Keep in mind some hand feeding formulas turn to cement if they are not mixed with enough water, should be stirred and stirred. Here we mix formula in a small blender. You can also add a pinch of probiotics to the feeding formula, Avitech makes a good product.

Again there is lots of good advice in this thread, digest what everyone is saying, ask questions and above all, use common sense.

I feel feeding formula 50-60cc 2X is plenty as the bird should be eating some on his own.

gary

Last edited:

ciesana

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Meagan
I'm sorry that Holly is having trouble! Glad her crop emptied, and yes, I agree that taking her to CAV is the way to go. Sending thoughts and prayers! :hug8:

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I pray that Holly will be completely recovered .

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks Gary, Meagan, and Pat. :hug8:
When I wake up here shortly, I will go check on her. Thanks for all the great advice and good thoughts everyone!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Her crop is completely empty. Where do I get probiotics or digestive enzymes?

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I'm sorry I'm no help here. Just wanted you to know that I'm up and holding good thoughts for you and Holly. Wish i could answer those questions for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.