• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I better start a thread, about Holly

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks! I use a plastic bowl, with another under it, the syringe, and a new spoon each time. I must admit I just wipe the steel of the thermometer..maybe it needs to be washed thoroughly too, as well as the plastic sleeve. I never save formula. I do believe I was feeding way too much, and possibly a degree or two under perfect temp. BF told me 105-107F. That is a small window when you are trying to make it from the sink and position a fidgity baby macaw. I wash the bowls and syringe after, with hot water, soap, rinse, then turn them up onto paper towels to dry.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I always fed between 100-104, just to be on the safe side (I tried for 104). What I found helped is to have a mug of hot water to keep the filled syringes in to keep the formula hot enough. If you feed say 20cc then you could have 2 syringes filled to 10cc a piece (so if there is fussing, there isnt as much sitting there cooling). It can be a balancing act for sure ;) I never did spoon feed, I was too messy that way :hehe: But Im sure you could probably do the same and just fill the spoon from the syringe that is being kept hot.

Sounds like you are doing just fine. Try not to fret over it too much. Cashew had a bacterial infection when I first brought him home. It just happens, especially with babies :hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I always fed between 100-104, just to be on the safe side (I tried for 104). What I found helped is to have a mug of hot water to keep the filled syringes in to keep the formula hot enough. If you feed say 20cc then you could have 2 syringes filled to 10cc a piece (so if there is fussing, there isnt as much sitting there cooling). It can be a balancing act for sure ;) I never did spoon feed, I was too messy that way :hehe: But Im sure you could probably do the same and just fill the spoon from the syringe that is being kept hot.
Ok so it couldn't have been temp, it never went under 102. I like the mug idea...smart! Thanks again.:hug8:

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
So glad to hear she's doing better.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thank you so much Kristen.:hug8: I do need to take the time this morning and read this whole thread again. Thanks for sharing your story. I keep getting prodded by someone who tells me she should be weaned. She will when she is ready, right? I really think the bad wing cut plays a big part of it.
So glad to hear she's doing better.
Thanks so much Susan!:hug8:

Last edited:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Carole, I'm so glad Holly is doing better :hug8:

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Im happy she is feeling better. Good job with her. Baby birds are a ton of work heck, all birds are a ton of work :)

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Carole, so glad that Holly is doing much better, you are such a good mommy. :hug8:

Our "macaw" babies all needed comfort feeding when they joined our flock. They didn't wean until 8 - 12 months so although Holly has frightened you, I recommend her weaning on her own time trying the various ways to encourage her.

southernbirds

Birds are like children. When they have a medically issue they can go downhill fast. Sometimes the best medicine is to go to the doctor. Glad that Holly is going to have a good Christmas and is feeling better. When our animals are doing great...so R we!.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Macaws wean very late. IMO one should just keep feeding them as long as they show any interest. My 32 yo Hank still loves a hand feeding now and then.
ML

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Just checking in to see how the feedings are going with Holly...:hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hi everyone. Sorry..light was on, but we were putting up our tree.:) Thanks everyone for the words of wisdom and encouragement!:hug8: Holly is doing much better. We had a good day. The birds had fun watching us put together and trim the tree. I found this little quail in the boxes, and put it on the bird stand and Troy was petting it. You should have seen Cochise. I wish I had a video..it was hilarious. He thought it was real.:p I had to take it off. I did get some pics. I will check to see if any came out. Holly is down to the proper amount, 40 CC twice a day. Taking her meds good. I have been adding a bit of yogurt once a day. Do you think it's ok to add the ACV, even though the dr. said not to?

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
At this point in time, I would follow the vets advice personally....
Now where is the picture of your tree????
:hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Okie dokie..will do.
I did not take one, guess I can now.We had to eat after, so got involved with that. Do we have a thread going?

southernbirds

Carole, from a medical point of view, I would not change the medication equation. If there are any issues, at least the AV knows what he prescribed. If she is doing well, why would you want to add anything? Just wait a few more days. You can always call on Wednesday and ask him. I would continue the regimen and note her progress. That is my thoughts. You and Holly are doing great on the doctor's advice. I always found that when it comes to tweaking something, a good doctor will listen and not be concerned if what you want to try is a good idea. Hope this answer helps.

southernbirds

Just wondering how little Holly is doing today. Being Christmas, Holly came to mind:)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hi, thanks for thinking of Holly, Cherry! She is doing much better.Two more days on the meds and she is done. She loved the toys Logan our SS sent, and was playing with them last evening. I am keeping a close eye on her. The only thing I have not done, but will with my next check on the first is order a better scale. Hi & thanks Kristen too.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks Marlene. Here is one from yesterday.. Will try to take some new ones.:D

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Carole, I'm so glad Holly is doing better now. I love the pic of her playing. :D:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.