• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I am WINNING this pellet battle

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Raiju is for sure eating pellets now! And has been for about a week!! I have his bowl of seeds and a bowl of just pellets right next to each other, and I have repeatedly watched him eating the pellets out of it! He also goes around on my desk eating them with Phoenix :heart:
Right now the top layer of his seed dish is just pellets, and every time I change the food (which is once a day) that layer of pellets is gone, so I assume he's eating them! He has also started finishing his entire serving of chop every time I give him some (I give him about a spoonful each time and usually twice a day, I have no clue how big the spoons are :roflmao:)

Do you think it's safe to remove the seeds completely from the cage now? For around half the day? I don't want to accidentally lose progress by inadvertently starving him, but I would love for them to only get seeds at nighttime

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thats what i done with Mojo removed seed completely for 4-5 hours monitored her to check she was eating the pellets after a few days of this i decided to remove the seed altogether.
I also continually weighed her whilst transitioning to ensure no weight was being lost.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Do you think it's safe to remove the seeds completely from the cage now? For around half the day? I don't want to accidentally lose progress by inadvertently starving him, but I would love for them to only get seeds at nighttime
It depends on the pellets. Most pellets are fortified and contain calcium, so with your budgie's being so active I recommend no more than 35% of their diet being pellets. If you can get them to eat Top's this can be increased, or you can increase the chop.
Mine get their seed for an hour before lights-out now while a few of them lose a few grams. Once they're all in the good weight range I'll increase this time until they get stable.
It's not about time, it's about watching the changes - only you can do that. Weight constantly changes and so should the diet.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Have you tried offering soaked/sprouted seed yet? They love them and usually healthier than dry seeds. With budgies I do not cut out dry seed completely tho.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Have you tried offering soaked/sprouted seed yet? They love them and usually healthier than dry seeds. With budgies I do not cut out dry seed completely tho.
Yes, Phoenix loves them, but Raijū is almost scared of them?? :roflmao: I put them in their chop often, or give it to them by themselves, but they get some almost every other day... Raijū will pick around the chop and avoid even touching the sprouted seed

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Funny birdy. Haahaa.