• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I am thrilled beyond thrilled!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I love Maggie, what a beautiful RLA. Welcome aboard here!

I was checking out your videos. When was Maggie pinioned? I was watching your videos, and the "Big Maggie day one" video, the wing looked freshly wounded? Perhaps Im just seeing it wrong? Were both wings pinioned, or just her right wing?

Cannuck

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Danielle
I love Maggie, what a beautiful RLA. Welcome aboard here!

I was checking out your videos. When was Maggie pinioned? I was watching your videos, and the "Big Maggie day one" video, the wing looked freshly wounded? Perhaps Im just seeing it wrong? Were both wings pinioned, or just her right wing?
It was just the one thing that was pinioned. When Maggie first came to us his wing was freshly bleeding. Our first thought was that it was freshly done or injured or he was chewing it. After careful observation we ruled out his chewing it.

There are two causes to the wound on the wing. First of all the feathers do not grow right in that area, frequently breaking though not as much now as before. Broken blood feathers are nasty and frightening and for quite a while there was discussion of removing the feather follicle. I really didn't want to do that but if one more had to be pulled it would have been the last option.
Once I had Maggies full trust I was actually able to help preen here and remove the sheaths. It really made a difference and helped him along. To date we have been approximately six months and more feathers have come in there!:dance5:

The other reason is his desire to fly is still very strong. Every so often he will begin to flap his wings and jump. If we are not quick to catch him and he doesn't land on any of the pillows or cusions he will bang it. Causing bruising and sometimes bleeding. It breaks my heart evertime. He will wait a few months before he tries again, but he will try again!

If there was a surgery or procedure or a magic genie I would do anything to give him his flight back!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Hello and welcome to the Avenue!

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to The Avenue.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
So was it Maggie's bend of the wing, the joint that was taken out? With the pinioned wing, can he still open his wings all the way and flap it?

Cannuck

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Danielle
So was it Maggie's bend of the wing, the joint that was taken out? With the pinioned wing, can he still open his wings all the way and flap it?
Yes it was the joint on the one wing. He can still lift that wing and flap it, the other wing is fully in tact and can open up. It really throws him off balance. I used to have a picture showing the difference but have had a major computer uh-oh and am now trying to recover all of my files from the old hard drive:eek:

I will attempt to get another picture of his wingspan to show a really good example.

Holli

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Holli
Well Maggie - it sounds like ol' girl - you found yourself a forever home! :dance4:

Congrats Danielle on your many successes with Maggie.

Status
Not open for further replies.