• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I am so undecided and hope for replies

scoobie57

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mark
Hello,
Well, this is my first post here. And we are so glad to have found this forum.

We are finally retired and have time to do what we want. We are home often and currently have and have had for years our 2 budgies. They are not social and are spoiled. We realize as they are older to just let them enjoy their huge cage and take great care of them. They don't want to come out BUT are very happy, they sing, play, eat, sleep & have a great life. We recently saw a cockatiel, and it was a hand-fed baby we love how nice it seemed. Then we saw this little lovebird a yellow peach faced baby. It too was friendly nice and hand-fed. We would, of course, have a separate cage for whatever we get.

Below are a few things we do/ and don't like about each species and are having trouble deciding.

Cockatiel pros>>> love to sit on your shoulder, very mild-mannered personality easy-going love attention & They are hardy and very attractive. They are easy-going and loyal they also can sit on a play gym and stay there & even fall asleep. The pet store had many out in the open on play gyms just snacking, playing and some napping.

We were told they are not very noisy. A bit quieter than a love bird?

cons>>> the dust (lots of it) they can be so needy I would feel terrible if I had to go away for a few hours and he was in a cage. This is the big concern although we are home quite often and would spend hours with him IF we want to go visit friends, go to dinner, shop or be away for a few hours I would feel bad even though he would have toys and be spoiled. I would feel bad. And getting 2 of them is out of the question. I would not want the cockatiel to cry, screech and become upset IF it is not out all the time. I hear they can become so needy that IF you spend a lot of time with them they become upset because they want more and more attention.

Love Birds Pros>> small birds, quirky, fun to watch colourful & like to be in your shoulder and they sing a little. NO dust, no smell and do not need as much attention as a cockatiel. I could leave a lovebird for a time and not feel guilty because they are not as needy as a cockatiel. They are a bit smaller too.

Love bird Cons>> they are not as even-tempered as cockatiels, They won't sit still as much as a cockatiel and forget them hanging on a play gym for a long time like a cockatiel.<<that is a concern because it would be nice not to have a bird so high energy. They can be nippier and when they bite I was told IT HURTS!!! and they are loud (screech a lot) more than a cockatiel (so we were told) I cannot think of any other cons.

I DID have a few hours with a cockatiel at the pet store it was on my shoulder the whole time clicking its beak and just loved being there. The love bird for sure was much more hyper as it ran around until it hopped on my finger up my arm to my shoulder. The love bird also flew off my shoulder 3 times in the 20 minutes we were with him the cockatiel stayed with me the whole time never flying away.

The cockatiel. was much different, He stayed on my finger hopped on and was easy going not flighty. The love bird was friendly took food from us and was a joy to watch.

We wanted any advice to see what you think of the love bird & cockatiel.

Whichever one we get will be a hand fed baby.

Just a few things we don't smoke, the kids are grown on their own, The only other pets are the 2 budgies. We are older, retired and would give the new addition a great home.

which to choose........ ugh......

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It seems to me that you are very attracted to that cockatiel you met, so I think that might be the bird for you. If you vacuum and clean the cage every day the dust isn’t bad at all, even with three! Just make sure you are not allergic. I don’t think a cockatiel necessarily needs more attention than a lovebird, but I’ll let lovebird people answer that one. Whatever bird you get, a loose routine will help with any neediness.

scoobie57

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mark
I like them both almost just as much I am just not sure which is the right one for us

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Gosh! I wish someone would have told my cockatiel that is was meant to fill all the pros on your list :lol: ......mine was the most opposite of what you describe and darn loud to boot!
My cousins love bird was more like the cockatiel you describe and my cockatiel was more like the lovebird in your description!

I hope which ever bird you decide to bring home gives you as much joy as you will give it ......you sound like beautiful birdie companions :heart:

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
In my opinion, go for the cockatiel. They won't be too needy, they are very chill. It helps to try not to over-spoil the first few weeks so they know what to expect attention-wise.

I hope you will consider rescuing a bird:) Adopt don't shop!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Is there a way to care for both birds?

I think all birds have a degree of feather dust, some more than others. I recently re homed my two english budgies because of years of lungs being effected by bird dust. Yes, from budgies.

scoobie57

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mark
Thank You!! Yes, we consider ourselves pretty good bird owners. We wish our budgies were "friendly" they are older and at their age (5) I am not going to stress them to make them want to come out and socialize. They sing a lot especially at night ( they're doing it now) We love them and will just feed them and handle them like we do which is limited because they are so skittish. So, now we want to find a fun, sociable hand-fed baby bird. We really liked the cockatiel and the Lovebird too!! I am reading as much as I can and not rushing. I also will let the bird pick me. If the feeling is mutual, and it is right. then I will get it. I just am so undecided.

scoobie57

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mark
In my opinion, go for the cockatiel. They won't be too needy, they are very chill. It helps to try not to over-spoil the first few weeks so they know what to expect attention-wise.

I hope you will consider rescuing a bird:) Adopt don't shop!
A rescue would be fine BUT it is hard finding a baby (hand fed) at a rescue BUT we are looking in to it. We also will take it right to our avian vet to be sure its healthy and establish a baseline ;)

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
A rescue would be fine BUT it is hard finding a baby (hand fed) at a rescue BUT we are looking in to it. We also will take it right to our avian vet to be sure its healthy and establish a baseline ;)
That's wonderful! (You could even check listing sites like Craigslist if you preferred.)

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
We have and found nothing mostly dogs and cats on craigslist.

I am so torn. 1 minute its Lovebird! then the next a cockatiel.
;)I understand, I too heavily debated what bird to get. I think a lot of people recommend cockatiel. They are generally what most consider as close to perfect as a bird can get. Even more so if you're just considering a cockatiel or lovebird.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sort of sounds like the tiel picked you...That's a great start.

Just don't spoil them.
Keep some time to yourself & go out. Live your life & expect same of them. Tiel will be OK. They play & take naps..Just be careful not to spoil them...Its hard for a single bird to be without its flock & that you would be. Still a radio & toys & leave the a little at a time. Let them know you will be back & if they yell tell them its ok you'll be back or around & thats it...Don;t do any more or you could end up with them screaming for you as you answer...Just assure them once & thats it. Give them a toy but not just after they scream or they will scream for toys...Its the bird mentality & you have to try to think like them so that you can live with them & they feel safe & secure...

Lots of info here...Good Luck

scoobie57

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mark
Thanks for the advice!! we always leave a radio on when we go away for the budgies. Also, I read a lot about night frights with cockatiels. We are going to look at a few more love birds too. think it will happen when the time is right. I just do not want a screaming lonely bird that is lonely after hours of attention. I am reading, researching and taking my time.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I have 6 cockatiels, 2 budgies and a lovebird. My budgies are not very social. One of them was found where I work. I then got another to be his friend. They are in a cage next to the lovebird. They chirp to each other quite a bit. My cockatiels are much more social with me. Cockatiels are flock birds and do like the company of another tiel. At one time, I only had one cockatiel (male - named Buddy) after my others died. At that time, that tiel chirped and flock called quite a bit after he was left alone. I think he was missing his last friend. That was over 10 years ago. I quickly brought home 2 more tiels and one of those is very bonded to him. I find he is less noisy with the company of the other tiels. having 6 tiels - can be noisy at times and loud. But it is not constant.

I find the pitch or tone of my love bird's vocal sounds to be the hardest for me to tolerate. I have a female and she can be very nippy. yes...her bite hurts...my tiels will bite sometimes and let go quickly but the lovebird does not. Just a very different personality from the cockatiels.

2 cockatiels may be less needy than one. Provide lots of shreddable toys. I am not retired and mine are home alone in their cages when I am at work or away. They do fine. Good luck!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Mark! :starshower1:

I see a lot of members suggesting cockatiels, so I will add some weight for the lovebird ;)

Cockatiel pros>>> love to sit on your shoulder, very mild-mannered personality easy-going love attention & They are hardy and very attractive. They are easy-going and loyal they also can sit on a play gym and stay there & even fall asleep. The pet store had many out in the open on play gyms just snacking, playing and some napping.
This description sounds exactly like my first lovebird Sydney. He won´t hang around one place for extended periods of time, He does like to visit more spots, but he´s not super nuts or hyper. So take this with a grain of salt as some of these descriptions are more for individual birds, like Shezbug said :)

do not need as much attention as a cockatiel. I could leave a lovebird for a time and not feel guilty because they are not as needy as a cockatiel.
I don´t believe this to be true. Yes a lovebird can entertain themselves while you are away if you have allowed them to learn how to be independent, but I wouldn´t say one needs more or less attention than the other. All single birds needs lots of attention. At least you have your budgies that can call over and keep them somewhat company :)

they are not as even-tempered as cockatiels, They won't sit still as much as a cockatiel and forget them hanging on a play gym for a long time like a cockatiel.
They might not sit still as much as a Tiel, but they are not skittish like some budgies can be. Lovebirds (from my own experiences) really enjoy flight but are not zooming around all day non stop.

and they are loud (screech a lot) more than a cockatiel
My first bird was pretty quiet. He still is even though I have more birds now. This really is measured by each bird.

They can be nippier and when they bite I was told IT HURTS!!!
Try opting for a male. They don´t go through the same nippy stages while reaching maturity like hens do. That is just what I found, there could be males that do. But a male also takes away egg issues, and they tend to be more laid back than females. Some females can be wonderful and not go through those heavy hormonal bouts, but having a male reduces the chances of that happening.
Don´t base your descision on how much a bite hurts, the aim is to never be bit, and you may get bit once or twice, but you will instantly learn why you got bit and change what you are doing to avoid that in the future.
Bringing home a baby bird (not from a chain pet store), or an older (than 18months/2years) rescue bird will give you the best start as with the baby bird, you will learn as it grows what they like or dislike, and with an older bird, they are now set in their ways and the person can tell you what things to avoid.

I think a lovebird is a wonderful family companion. Just remember, go with the bird that you connect with.

Good luck with your descision :)

Thanks for tagging me Kelly @Monaco :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I think the key with getting any new bird, especially a baby, is not to spoil it when you get him or her. Any bird needs to learn some independence. So if a bird is showered with nonstop attention when he first comes home and then has to spend all day in a cage, yes, he's going to scream. So, teaching the bird some independence is important. And I also think it's important to spend time with your bird in his cage. I will sit and read by birds while they're in their cages. I think this helps because as soon as they see me they don't start screaming to be let out and also they don't associate going into their cage with me necessarily going away.

As for which type, I think either bird can do okay as an "only" bird and he wouldn't actually be an only bird because you have budgies. All of my birds have separate cages but the cages are near each other during the day. So they still do "flock" things. Eat at the same time, preen at the same time, etc.

I think from what you wrote, I would go with a cockatiel. They really are pretty mellow birds. Although not all of them are cuddly. My tiel right now is pretty hands off but he wants to be in the same room as me and he's such an easy going bird.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I still am struggling with deciding
There is no rush :)
Post any thoughts or questions you have, and I´m sure people who live with those species of bird will tell you what their experiences are