• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I am out of my element here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntrymeadow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rebecca
I am honestly out of my element here.

Background:
We have a 4 yr old, male U2
Hes been with us for almost a month.
He knows to get on your hand when you put it out but does not know what Step Up means on command.

He is very wary of hubs (due to his previous owners)
He loves me and bonded with me immediately.

This is the first BIG bird we have had (we also have finch) and Ive been very brave with Lemon in handling him and trying to read his body language.
Up to tonight all has been well.

Prev. owner let him get on her shoulder which Im trying to break.
At times he will flap his wings and shriek while sitting on my shoulder.
This ususally lasts for just a few seconds then he calms down.
While he is doing this I have my hand up over my ear and my head turned away. His shriek hurts my ear and Im afraid he will bite me.

Tonight while my hand was covering my ear he bit my finger. Luckily my ring took the brunt of his bite so he didnt break the skin. As soon as I could I pushed up against his cage and made him get up on the top.
After letting him play his normal playtime I put him away without any other incident.

My confidence as been weakened.
Yesturday I ordered two of Barbara's H.(?) dvd's. How to train your parrot #1 (or something like that) and How to read body language.
Tonight I also bought a clicker.

I need help on where to start.
Im not sure if Barbaras video is clicker training or just basic stuff.
What I would really really like is for someone local here help me get started on clicker training. I am signed up on the Yahoo group and am reading all posts.
Also does anyone have links to good clicker training videos?

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I am honestly out of my element here.

Background:
We have a 4 yr old, male U2
Hes been with us for almost a month.
He knows to get on your hand when you put it out but does not know what Step Up means on command.

He is very wary of hubs (due to his previous owners)
He loves me and bonded with me immediately.

This is the first BIG bird we have had (we also have finch) and Ive been very brave with Lemon in handling him and trying to read his body language.
Up to tonight all has been well.

Prev. owner let him get on her shoulder which Im trying to break.
At times he will flap his wings and shriek while sitting on my shoulder.
This ususally lasts for just a few seconds then he calms down.
While he is doing this I have my hand up over my ear and my head turned away. His shriek hurts my ear and Im afraid he will bite me.

Tonight while my hand was covering my ear he bit my finger. Luckily my ring took the brunt of his bite so he didnt break the skin. As soon as I could I pushed up against his cage and made him get up on the top.
After letting him play his normal playtime I put him away without any other incident.

My confidence as been weakened.
Yesturday I ordered two of Barbara's H.(?) dvd's. How to train your parrot #1 (or something like that) and How to read body language.
Tonight I also bought a clicker.

I need help on where to start.
Im not sure if Barbaras video is clicker training or just basic stuff.
What I would really really like is for someone local here help me get started on clicker training. I am signed up on the Yahoo group and am reading all posts.
I'm sorry that happened. I am not a cockatoo owner, but I am a clicker trainer. Joining BirdClick was a really good idea. Lots of current info on there. Good Bird Inc has great stuff too. Others will cockatoo experience will chime in, but I will say that I think you have to figure out a way to absolute keep him off of your shoulder, at least for now.:hug8:

southerninak

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
There are quite a few too owners here and I know they will give you great advice. I have a Sulfur crested that I have had for 5 months now. They are a joy. I don't want to risk misinforming you so all I will say is to take it slowly. and I have the 1st DVD you mentioned .I love it. I chose not to use a clicker but the word GOOD when he does the prefered action.because I was not sure I would have enough hands.lol
Please know that everyone is here to help you and stay calm. I know that the first few weeks I was a nervous wreck. I was afraid he would bite,scream,not be happy...I learned every thing I could and I kept our first interactions short...It does get easier....with work.lol good luck

cntrymeadow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rebecca
LOL....thanks!
I just now searched for clicker/target training videos and found a few good ones.

Lemon did not appear to be food orientated so I thought I would try cheerios as a clicker reward.
He loves them!
So this will be his reward.
I did try to associate the clicker with cheerio.
I know this is going to take time and patience.
First thing I need to do is get a small diameter dowel for the target stick and a bigger stick for the perch (instead of my hand).

Im just going to have to remember to take it slow and easy and to breathe!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Your body language is very important. You always need to be calm yet confident. They can smell fear so you must get over being fearful. I know easier said than done but it's necessary.

Here is my take on body language. The more you act like another TOO would act the better response you will get.

http://forums.avianavenue.com/train...unicating-your-highly-intelligent-parrot.html

Right now you are coming close to the end of the "honeymoon" period if he has been with you a month. It lasts anywhere from 1 to 3 months. When the honeymoon is over that's when you will start to see the real bird.

http://forums.avianavenue.com/training-court/821-honeymoon-break-period.html

I would recommend a T stick instead of a regular stick. Avoiding bites at all costs is imperative and a T stick will allow you to handle him better and protect yourself from biting. They can still shimmy along a regular stick and lay a bite on your hand/arm.

The stick allows you to handle him confidently without fear and have much more control over him. Observe him intensely and learn to read him as quickly as you can. Learning to read body language and presenting yourself with the proper body language will be your greatest tools.

Easy to make. My stick has a 16 inch top with a 22 inch handle. You can see it's well used. :)

That should get you started in the right direction. Ask a million questions. Lots of great help here. :hug8:

Last edited:

cntrymeadow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rebecca
Thanks John,
A t stick it will be!
Yes after the fact Im certain he could feel my nervousness...
not exactly fear but I was a bit shaken up.
I left him on his playtop to play for the rest of the evening.
Will check out those links!
Again, many thanks.

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
First thing I'd say is please don't let him on your shoulder. We tried adopting a U2 and just in the first 4 days she put a hole clear through my top lip and my daughter's cheek.

Hormone season is getting going too. I have very limited experience. Hopefully Mercedez will come along and help you out :)

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Hi Rebecca welcome! We have many Too owners here that should be able to help you! :)

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Welcome and I am sure that you are going to be getting a lot of help from the experienced Too owners on here. Good luck.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
the other thing to point out he may have been going for the ring my G2 Little General goes after rings I know it hurt but as John said keep it slow and steady rings are a favorite for bites and since you lost confedence a tee perch is a must the reading body language is a very good video I have it and reffer to it on occassion

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Gosh I am sorry about the bite....they affect our minds and our bodies.
I still use a T stand with one of my Toos. Once off the cage I can use my arm for him to step up on but I must use a T stand at first.

the other thing to point out he may have been going for the ring
Great point Cynthia!!

I personally never wear rings around the Toos ~ EVER. They go for them like they are made of ...err GOLD! lol

I always remind myself they are wild animals and to try and not take it personally. Hang in there and go slow. :hug8:

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I don't have a 'too but I work with over 20 at the rescue I volunteer at. My advice is to watch when they are getting excited. A majority of my bites have happened when the bird is getting over stimulated. Don't let him on your shoulder to avoid face bites, and put him away to calm down or on a playstand, etc. when he starts the screaming/wing flapping. Wait until he's calm again before picking him up.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
LOL....thanks!
I just now searched for clicker/target training videos and found a few good ones.

Lemon did not appear to be food orientated so I thought I would try cheerios as a clicker reward.
He loves them!
So this will be his reward.
I did try to associate the clicker with cheerio.
I know this is going to take time and patience.
First thing I need to do is get a small diameter dowel for the target stick and a bigger stick for the perch (instead of my hand).

Im just going to have to remember to take it slow and easy and to breathe!
Absolutely, go slow and take your time. Have short training sessions and take breaks often to stop and think about what you want to do next. If he loves cheerios I think that they are a good choice. :rolleyes:

cntrymeadow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rebecca
Thanks everyone.
I did cross my mind that he may have in fact targeted the ring.
In the past he likes to try to pry at them but I dont let him and with my fat fingers I cant get any of them off!

He was most definately excited.
I know to NOT let him on my shoulder but Im afraid if Im too forceful he may bite. So I let him climb up, then he USUALLY climbs down onto my chest and snuggles under my chin.

Note to self: NO MORE!

Starting tonight no more shoulder....ever.
I cant take what he did last night again.
It shook my confidence too much.

I think using a t stick and target training him will help a lot!

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Don't be scared to stop him. I would take a bite one the hand or arm over a face bite any day.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I recommend not to allow him on your shoulder. When he is flapping his wings and screaming, that is a typical male cockatoo "mating" show off type dance. If he had room to strut, no doubt he would have. And depending on how well he knows you, trust you,etc, he can act aggressive or compassionate when doing this dance.

I 100% trust and allow Bokka to be on my shoulder (I actually trust all my 'toos, except my mom's duck, Beeba(m2). Bokka will flap his wings (not scream though) when he is on my shoulder. Then he'll look at me in my eye, and put his head under my chin:heart: Bokka is always on my shoulder when Im handling him, or in my lap:heart: But is a compassionate show off.

Opa is still a baby, he has been testy to some people lately, but not with me. One of these days he'll test me.. but he is still OK on my shoulder.

Reo, he is ok on my shoulder UNLESS he is in a macho man show-off mood. However, when Bokka is on me when Reo is, Reo definetly minds his manners. I however do not know how he'd do on my shoulder when in a macho mood. Bokka is always there, and Reo knows not to show off right next to Bokka(Bokka doesnt fight anybody, but he definetly lets everyone know who's "mate" I am...lol). However when Reo gets into his show off moods. And I ask him to step up, he has bitten me a couple times. Ofcourse hard cockatoo bites dont phase me anymore (I have worked with a ton of birds, and devlope calluses on my hands.. lol), so he just step up but give me this "look" that he meant trouble:heart::hehe: He came to me known to bite lips.

Louie has never been on my shoulder, he is a bit skittish, but loves to be pressed under my neck and armpit,etc.

But the bottom line is, I would never allow a macho-man show off male hormonal cockatoo onto my shoulder. Besides Bokka wouldnt ever allow it:rolleyes:

I can make a good video (on how to get started), with one of my 'toos. But other than that I recommend going on YOUTUBE and searching there "clicker training parrots" etc.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Your body language is very important. You always need to be calm yet confident. They can smell fear so you must get over being fearful. I know easier said than done but it's necessary.

Totally agree.

And when working with a cockatoo, you must be all of these at once: meek, submissive, understanding, compassionate and assertive.

Meek: Cockatoos dont like people who like to show off, be over excited,etc

Submissive: cockatoos dont do well with dominant people. They dont understand it.

Understanding: Understand that your cockatoo is a bir dnot a person, they dont do things intentionally to harm you,etc. They try to be as forthcoming about what they are trying to tell you, all the time. You must understand their body language, understand their needs, etc.

Compassionate: I dont see how having a cold angry heart will help getting closer to a very emotionally needy bird...

Assertive: there is a difference between being assertive and aggressive. Aggressive is allowing no room for change, its a "my way or high way" attitude. Assertive is the LEADER, is the one that knows the way to the water hole, is the one who has the wisdom, the knowledge, and the ways to be safe(but do mind, that birds are not flock animals, they live in family groups, and if they dont like how one family member is acting(acting hormonal or aggressive, territorial,etc), they will leave their family groups to make their own and get their own mate and family. Birds in captivity cannot escape us. So you cannot at all, be aggressive ot them or you will lose their confidence and trust.). Being assertive is the teaching, being firm, but kind and gentle. Like sticking through the trainings you do but stoping at the sign of stress and trying again later,etc. Keep coming back and handling a biting bird. That is being assertive.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Totally agree.

Assertive: there is a difference between being assertive and aggressive. Aggressive is allowing no room for change, its a "my way or high way" attitude. Assertive is the LEADER, is the one that knows the way to the water hole, is the one who has the wisdom, the knowledge, and the ways to be safe(but do mind, that birds are not flock animals, they live in family groups, and if they dont like how one family member is acting(acting hormonal or aggressive, territorial,etc), they will leave their family groups to make their own and get their own mate and family. Birds in captivity cannot escape us. So you cannot at all, be aggressive ot them or you will lose their confidence and trust.). Being assertive is the teaching, being firm, but kind and gentle. Like sticking through the trainings you do but stoping at the sign of stress and trying again later,etc. Keep coming back and handling a biting bird. That is being assertive.
Mercedes,

I am a professional dog trainer and behavior consultant, and I work with all sorts of behavioral issues with dogs. This is a really nicely written statement about assertive vs. aggressive. Many people think that being confident or assertive is about being tougher, stronger, and winning when it's really more about guidance and compassion. I really like this.

cntrymeadow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rebecca
Thank you Mercedez..
I was hoping you would chime in here!!!!

Im still trying to learn to read his body language and I was uncertain from the beginning what that flapping/shreik meant.
Since he never ever tried to bite before I just assumed it was part of the too behaviour.

Um....now I can see it is his maleness dance and I wont allow it while on me.

If he does it while on his cage top or tree stand what should I do?
Ignore it?
Turn away and ignore it?

I assume this is not something I want to encourage.

Also...he is wary of my husband and we assume its because the prev. owners father was scared of the bird and who knows what he might have done to him.
My husband is a large (6', 250 lbs) macho/he-man however he is very gentle with all things.
Even if hubs displays gentleness can a bird sense his macho-ness/dominance underneath and will this make it harder for hubs to work with him?

cntrymeadow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rebecca
Tonights update:

We have two English Bull Terriers (look em up, everything you read about them is true) hence my faithful watching of the Dog Whisperer. I remembered how he said to be with dogs: calm and assertive and to not do anything with them until they are relaxed.

Tonight was Lemons first clicker/target training and it went...
Smashingly!

I was calm and assertive!

Started out with the clicker/cheerio.
Added the target stick/clicker/cheerio.

Took him out of his cage and immediately put him on his 5' tree perch (we just got it and its only his second time on it. The first time he was not impressed).

While he was on the tree perch we practiced the target stick/clicker/cheerio.
Then I let him play with his toys.

2 Questions:

#1 Our 25 yr old daughter lives with us. While he was on his tree perch she needed to leave to go somewhere. I told her to come out slowly so he was not startled.

Once he saw her he did the male open wing/crest raised/shreik thing. Im assuming he was warning her away from me? He kept doing it as she went all the way to the door. He looked like he was going to fly onto me so I back way away and told him no.

After she left he calmed down and was fine.

Will he be this way with everyone?
How can I teach him to not do this?

#2 While on his tree perch he had an imagined threat and this was the first time I have actually seen/heard him hiss. Mouth open and tongue out. I stayed back until he determined there really was no threat and he stopped, then we resumed training/playing.

Im assuming this was the thing to do?

Oh...
I sang twinkle twinkle and jingle bells and he opened up his wings and started bouncing! We was singing and dancing. My only hope is that he doesnt want me to sing to him when hubs is home.
I really cant sing!

Status
Not open for further replies.