• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I am getting a Cockatiel very soon and I need help

Bri_:3

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Briana
I am getting a cockatiel in like 4 weeks. I have no idea where to get one except Petsmart. Is it ok to get a cockatiel from here. I have no idea if it will be hand raised and will scared of me. I live in Indiana, is there anyway I could adopt from somewhere else. I have looked at numerous websites but I absolutely can't find like any bird breeders. What would I do if I get a cockatiel from Petsmart???

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hi Briana, welcome to the forum :)

I hear in the USA that rescue centres usually house plenty of Tiels. Have you checked the centres in your area?The plus side of rescuing is you are giving a home to a bird in need but also, you will be able to spend time with the bird prior to taking him or her home so you will know that the bird isn´t scared of you.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Have you checked to see if there are any rescues near you? Often they're listed on Petfinder.com. There are so many cockatiels out there in need of good homes. I wish you were closer as our rescue has 2 cuties up for adoption now. If Petsmart is the only option, it's not a terrible option. The problem is that chain pet stores will often get their birds from bird mills, like puppy mills, and the birds aren't always treated the best etc. But sometimes they come from local breeders too. It just depends. A lot of times you can find cockatiels listed on craig's list too. You just have to be a little careful about who you're dealing with there. I always encourage adopting a bird if possible. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please check the availability of avian vets in your area before bringing a bird into your home. You would be shocked at the number of people that join us and write "There are no vets near us"

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! So glad you're here!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Please check the availability of avian vets in your area before bringing a bird into your home. You would be shocked at the number of people that join us and write "There are no vets near us"
Yes, please check for an AV first. It should be your first priority, before you even think about getting a bird.

If you tell us your area, we can help you look for a rescue. Also check Craigslist, etc because a lot of people will put birds on there. Ask avian vets, they will either have birds available for adopting or have knowledge of where you can adopt birds.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I got my cockatiel from Petland when he was only a young baby, and the trauma he experienced in those formative months was enough to make him a phobic, fear aggressive, anxious bird for his entire life. He's eleven now, and still has trouble handling new things and any object that he perceives as dangerous, including hands. There's a chance that bringing home a 'tiel from a pet store would work out fine for you, but I think the odds are out of your favour in that regard.

Have you checked out your local humane society? Mine has birds coming in all the time.

I found this list of bird breeders in Indiana, and several breed cockatiels. Have you checked them out?

And, :welave:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Welcome! If you can’t find one anywhere else, and the bird you are looking at is not looking sick (nor are any of his cage mates) give it a try. It won’t be as friendly, at first, as a hand fed bird but they are fairly easy to tame. And we’re all here to help you.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Briana
My mom has helped me to find a pet store only 30 minutes away from us, and we are contacting them today. I am very happy, and there is an Avian clinic only 20 minutes away from us. But, I have spent numerous hours and cannot seem to find any cockatiels available to me in the area I live in. I live in Boone County, Indiana. Please help me! I am hopefully getting a bird in 4 weeks whether it be a budgie or a cockatiel.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad you found the avian vet :)

Please help me! I am hopefully getting a bird in 4 weeks whether it be a budgie or a cockatiel.
Why is there a date set for bringing home the bird?
Also, if you really want a cockatiel and do not find one, please don´t bring home a budgie. Just wait ´til you find the bird you really want.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Briana
Glad you found the avian vet :)

Why is there a date set for bringing home the bird?
Also, if you really want a cockatiel and do not find one, please don´t bring home a budgie. Just wait ´til you find the bird you really want.
Well, my mom is getting me one at the end of the school year and I want a cockatiel OR a budgie, I don't care, I have done research on both, and my mom found a bird store and they have cockatiels there I believe

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ah ok.

Have you looked at cages, toys all that sorta stuff, you know what you´re gonna get?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I'm familiar with Indiana but not that far south, so unfortunately I won't be of much help. I'm glad you found an avian vet though.

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Yes, please check for an AV first. It should be your first priority, before you even think about getting a bird.

If you tell us your area, we can help you look for a rescue. Also check Craigslist, etc because a lot of people will put birds on there. Ask avian vets, they will either have birds available for adopting or have knowledge of where you can adopt birds.
Yes, I second checking Craigslist can be a great place to adopt a parrot from. I got my cockatiel from someone who had to rehome her on Craigslist and she is a wonderful bird.:)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Something to think about really carefully is what will happen to your bird in the future. Cockatiels can live for over twenty years! You're in school and living with your family now, but won't be forever. I don't know how old you are (and please don't share your age on a public forum if you're under 18) but this tiel could still be alive when you're in your thirties. I don't know what your plans are once you leave school, but please be aware that you may not be in a position to take your bird with you if you decide to go to university. Is your mum happy to take over the bird's care if you're unable to look after her or him?

Last edited:

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Briana
Yes, she has had a bird before and she has had guidance by my passed grandmother. I know my plan for after I get out of school and I will still have time to take care of my bird