• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I am fostering birds

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
Hi, and thanks for the forum! I have owned birds (mostly budgies, a cockatiel, and a perfect lory) for about 40 years, but I live in a part of the country without great avian medicine (found this out with the lory, many years ago, and haven't owned any "advanced" birds since). I just brought home a couple of birds from our local shelter who need fostering, one who has a few medical/behavioral problems. They were not doing well at the shelter, but because they were confiscated I can't post pictures or take them out of state for additional help at the moment. Plan to look through forum posts and try to give them the most comfortable home and most TLC possible while they are here.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Julie! 1.welcome signs.gif

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
:welcomeavenue:Welcome! Can you at least tell us the names or breeds of these birds? I hope that you will find everything you need here!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! That's for helping these birds! I foster too. My first foster came to me also because he wasn't doing well at the shelter. I think it can be too stressful for a lot of birds, especially if there's a lot of dog barking, etc.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welcome2:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I used to foster so I can appreciate what you're doing. My flock are foster fails (adopted).

:welave:

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
:welcomeavenue:

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
What does confiscating have to do with posting pictures? Why not?

I’m also assuming the birds came from the same home, or didn’t they?

Really need more information on your location, species, any background history.

It’s really rare to see a bird confiscated from someone.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What does confiscating have to do with posting pictures? Why not?

I’m also assuming the birds came from the same home, or didn’t they?

Really need more information on your location, species, any background history.

It’s really rare to see a bird confiscated from someone.
They do in hoarding cases, in which they absolutely can tell them not to share information, including photos, pending a court hearing.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Completely agree with Mizzely. If they post pictures or include details, it would jeopardize the investigation & possibly let whomever let them live in squalor off the hook. This would do no good to anyone - the recidivism rate of animal hoarders (regardless of species) is almost 100% without intensive treatment, according to what I've read. I imagine the OP will be doing a fair bit of behind-the-scenes reading on the Avenue. :)

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
Completely agree with Mizzely. If they post pictures or include details, it would jeopardize the investigation & possibly let whomever let them live in squalor off the hook. This would do no good to anyone - the recidivism rate of animal hoarders (regardless of species) is almost 100% without intensive treatment, according to what I've read. I imagine the OP will be doing a fair bit of behind-the-scenes reading on the Avenue. :)
You are correct! I have fostered dogs pending court cases as well; it is for the safety of the animal, the foster family, and for the case: sometimes previous owners have an argument that the animals were not kept on premises of the shelter -- even though they only go to foster in extreme situations and when it is in the best interest of the animal.

I posted a question/story in the health thread just a few minutes ago, with as much info as I can share at the moment. I currently have a sun conure that the shelter named Sunshine, and his cage mate is a Senegal that I named Moonbeam. Sunshine has some very specific health issues that I am having trouble finding any information on -- leading to my post today. Thank you all for your kindness!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You should know that you can also private message adult members. I'm sorry I can't help with your issues, but maybe some of the more experienced, adult members could volunteer themselves to communicate by PM.