• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I am confused

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Frankie has changed since we moved house.
He likes hubby now (to an extent), which is great, but he doesn't like ANY of his toys anymore.
After being here 3 months now, he is finally pkaying in the kitchen, but only with me.
He plays peekaboo and he will sit on my shoulder and preen, but when I try to get him interested with his toys, he either walks right by them, or tosses them.
He has 1 ball he will play toss with, but even his favorite toy that was always by his side or he would scream the place down for; he has absolutely no interest in.
He comes through in the living room with hubby while I make dinner, but after a couple of minutes he starts yelling "mum' and won't stop till I come through. So he ends up on the kitchen table or chair while I make dinner.
It's the opposite side away from the stove or he wouldn't be in there.
I can't even go upstairs at night. He comes up the stairs behind me calling for me the whole time.
I can't figure out why he is like this now.
Anyone with macaws in a similar situation?
And how can I get him to play indepedently again?
I am trying to engage him with his toys constantly but he shows no interest. I even bought him new toys but nothing is working.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's macaw breeding season. It usually starts in October & can run into February. During this time period they can change their likes & non-likes, be it people, toys, food, etc.. I avoided hands on contact with JaJaBinks (previous B&G) as much as possible because it triggered her to be more hormonal.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Yes Frankie is all about me. But he has been like this since we moved house.
The main major change is he steps up for hubby and they play now.
For the past two years in our other house all Frankie did was chase hubby out the kitchen or sneak up on him to bite his toes.
Got him a couple of times. Only one broke skin a tiny spot.
Was comical really. Hubby would come in the kitchen and jump up on the counter so Frankie couldn't get him.
But now, he's just been acting really strange.
His last check up a couple of months ago showed him to be very healthy, and one of the vets assistants was all happy when she told me Frankie stepped up for her on her first request. He doesn't normally go to strangers lol