• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I Also Have Cockatoos and Don't Post Enough Photos

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It reminds me of my love Peanut. She also climbed in her bowls.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So...please kindly, when you have a moment, explain anting in cockatoos. I've seen birds "anting" on a literal ant hill so that they are sort of bathing in acid from the ants. I've never seen a bird 'ant' in the way you are showing your sweet bowlgita doing it.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
So...please kindly, when you have a moment, explain anting in cockatoos. I've seen birds "anting" on a literal ant hill so that they are sort of bathing in acid from the ants. I've never seen a bird 'ant' in the way you are showing your sweet bowlgita doing it.
I don't think it is firmly understood why some birds practice anting. One hypothesis is that it may help with parasite removal, and the birds are allowing the ants to climb under their feathers for help rid them of pest.

I don't believe little Bug is really practicing anting, she is likely presenting a combo of playful and nesting behaviours. Goffin commonly play on their backs :) The native corellas in my area even wrestle!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Goffin commonly play on their backs :) The native corellas in my area even wrestle!
I have seen videos of 'Toos playing like that! Wrestling birds...who knew?! It always seems to me that Caiques also never get anything accomplished because they spend most of their time play wrestling with one another, lol!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Not sure whether what she's doing (or thinks she's doing) is truly anting. I just don't have a better word to describe it. And it's shorter than "she shoves so much crap in her feathers that if it actually stayed she'd weigh 100lbs!" :D

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
They call it "anting" because it looks exactly like a bird anting in the wild. They are just using wood chips, pellets etc in place of the ants.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
When my Goffin stuck things in her wing I always assumed it was nesting behaviour, sorta like lovebirds. Now I am searching for more info on observations of Goffins in the wild. I haven't yet found more on feather stuffing, but I will keep searching.

I did find some mention of Goffins carrying around and treasuring tools they make. Which makes me wonder if it is Bug celebrating her craftsmanship! Or possibly de-craftsmanship since she is ripping them into tiny bits :hehepink:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
So apparently today is the day for bathing! Both girls are taking turns in the water bowls. showersmile.gif singing-in-shower.gif

Here's a closeup of Luv Bug after round 1 and a couple of shots of her routine. Yes, routine. She dangles like this after nearly every dunking. :rolleyes:
Resized_20220723_125143.jpeg VideoCapture_20220723-133239.jpg VideoCapture_20220723-133332.jpg VideoCapture_20220723-133654.jpg

And a couple grainy stills of Puffina's post bath vulture-strut across one of their day cages, and of course a closeup of my soggy, beautiful girl. :xflove:
VideoCapture_20220723-131143.jpg VideoCapture_20220723-131032.jpg VideoCapture_20220723-131044.jpg 20220723_131256.jpg

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
We have so many cute pictures of our sweet goffins girls but aren't sure where to share them, so I decided to make their own thread. :pinksmile:

It didn't seem right to post pics of Luv Bug on the Puffin's Progress thread, so now @Xulta and I can post here. There will probably be a few repeats from other threads but now our favorites & new pics can all be in one place. :)

For starters, here are a few of my favorite shots of the girls together. :xflove: All so sweet you'd never suspect any tail pulling unless you know them. :rolleyes:

View attachment 394468
View attachment 394466 View attachment 394467

For anyone not familiar with the girls, Luv Bug is the fully feathered one and Puffin is the partially nekky floof! :embarassed:
Double trouble! For sure!! :holdontight::horse2::hehepink:

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
They are so sweet and floofy!
such beautiful gentle eyes

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Here's a shot of Luv Bug anting the sofa, or just another piece of it. Give her enough time & we'll be sitting on the floor! :meh: 20221103_204637.jpg

And either she doesn't like to be bothered or she's planning to ant my phone case next!
20221103_204631.jpg