• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I’ve decided: Burt is going back home.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
As much as it pains me to do so, I can’t get myself past the thought of what I would hope someone would do if I were in Burt’s original owners shoes.

Per her, her health has been stable/getting steadily better, and she feels fully capable of taking him back. We’ve also set the understanding that if at any point she can’t handle it, she’ll call me and I’ll come get him - No questions asked.

Regarding Pudge, we’re going to see how the two do once separated. I’m going to give it at least 4 weeks, but it’s all playing by ear. If either of them do poorly without the other, we’ll see whether Burt comes back or Pudge goes there. I’ve also stated that if she tells me Burt’s doing poorly, I want proof so I can be assured she’s not just blowing smoke up my rear.

It sucks a lot, but I do think this will be good in the long run. If I were ever in her position, I would hope whomever had my animals would return them if I asked.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think that's a very kind and generous thing to do. Having experienced this myself letting a dog go back to his previous owner after a short time and seeing the joy that they both had at being reunited I knew it was absolutely the right thing to do.

I hope that things will go well and that she will be able to take care of Burt and that they don't pine for each other too badly.

When will he be going back to her?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I think you have made the hardest decision ever and have looked at the situation through more than just your own eyes and heart. Takes a very big kind hearted person to be in your position :heart:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending you hugs for what I know has been a tough decision, but I think a very kind and generous move on your part. I hope everything works out well for all involved!

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
I applaud your resolve to make the best decision. As a person who has seen the other end when another person first refused to give back the animal, the anguish is great. In the long run your friend will be far more likely to trust you to care for him if she gets in a bind again rather than hold on when she is in over her head. In my friends case it was a horse and when my friend ran into troubles again (through no fault of her own) she refused all help for the horse and ended up keeping the horse in less than ideal situations instead of trusting that she could keep the horse with me and come get him anytime she was ready. It broke my heart that her trust was lost because of this other person and the horse suffered more.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Wishing all parties involved happy love filled outcomes.

Silver linings Burt snd Pudge got to learn socialization with another parrot.

:hug8:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Undoubtedly a tough decision on your part but you really did do the right thing. And as @Shannan said, your friend will likely trust you to help in the future (or even help you if you need a bird sitter) and that is invaluable.

:bighug:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Undoubtedly a tough decision on your part but you really did do the right thing. And as @Shannan said, your friend will likely trust you to help in the future (or even help you if you need a bird sitter) and that is invaluable.

:bighug:
I was thinking the same thing! Might turn out to be a pet sitter resource !!! Truly that can be a gift!!

I only have one trusted friend pet sitter. Because what is the deal with so many people being afraid if birds anyway???? Especially as I can have mine step up to tgrm abd take a treat sweet?!

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
Sadly I think it is lack of experience and those big intimidating beaks. Thankfully I had a best friend who was willing to learn. Without her I don't know what I would have done besides take Walter EVERYWHERE! After all he and I did have some wild adventures that were probably not Ideal situations for him. What a trooper he was.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
It’s a very kind of you I hope it works out for you all especially burt and pudge I hope they cope without each other
Pudge will probably need some extra cuddles