• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

i’m starting to think that arthur’s home wasn’t what i thought it was

analliecat

Walking the driveway
Real Name
allie
just a quick story: i got arthur from a woman who is very ill and who’s husband took care of him while he was ill. i knew the woman was loving because arthur says very nice phrases in her voice (“who’s a handsome boy”, “such a pretty boy”, “i love you”, “please sit with me”) but i also hear her husband (“why don’t you shut up”, “shut up arthur”, “heck off arthur”, “goddamn it step up”, and even worse) and it just upsets me because she’s so sweet and sad to see arthur go and isn’t healthy enough to care for her birds and she still has some. it just breaks my heart arthur had to hear this. it explains his aggression towards men. i let him know all the time he can talk as much as he’d like, no one hear will yell at him. i just feel sad

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I didn't think his fear was unwarranted... his fear of the sprayer and men makes sense. He could have been abused with the sprayer and verbally.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is Arthur a Grey? If he is I would not jump the gun on what kind of owner he had in the male. Tanya (@MysticsMom) has Zena (CAG) who puts sentences together with words she knows, but not necessarily how she heard them. One of my favorite was when I was on the phone with Tanya and Zena asked in a worried voice "Tanya, did you pay for that purse?":rofl: She will also curse out random animals including herself. She's a also a totally loved and NOT cursed out little Princess :heart:
She used to recite Dick's (Tanya's hubby) credit card number :laugh:

Last edited:

analliecat

Walking the driveway
Real Name
allie
Is Arthur a Grey? If he is I would not jump the gun on what kind of owner he had in the male. Tanya (@MysticsMom) has Zena (CAG) who puts sentences together with words she knows, but not necessarily how she heard them. One of my favorite was when I was on the phone with Tanya and Zena asked in a worried voice "Tanya, did you pay for that purse?":rofl: She will also curse out random animals including herself. She's a also a totally loved and NOT cursed out little Princess :heart:
She used to recite Dick's (Tanya's hubby) credit card number :laugh:
i’ve had conversations with the man, he hates his wife’s birds. his first words to me was that he was glad to get that “goddamn thing” out of his house. i just never thought he was verbally abusive at the time.

i know arthur is a bright boy. he’s been piecing together sentences like “i need money babe” and asking me all sorts of questions that don’t make sense . i know his actual owner loved him. but he was unloved in his first home and cage bound for the last year so i know he’s got some issues. my aunt has a grey and she has a filthy mouth and says things my aunt would never say but she doesn’t have the same fear arthur has.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Poor Aurther, and poor woman. Why do the nice ones always seem to get sick? I’m so glad Aurther has you now!

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
i’ve had conversations with the man, he hates his wife’s birds. his first words to me was that he was glad to get that “goddamn thing” out of his house. i just never thought he was verbally abusive at the time.

i know arthur is a bright boy. he’s been piecing together sentences like “i need money babe” and asking me all sorts of questions that don’t make sense . i know his actual owner loved him. but he was unloved in his first home and cage bound for the last year so i know he’s got some issues. my aunt has a grey and she has a filthy mouth and says things my aunt would never say but she doesn’t have the same fear arthur has.

Time and love will take care of it :heart:

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
My U2 is the sweetest girl ever until it comes to middle aged men. She will joyfully slash their face up to 2” given half a chance while pretending to be nice until she gets near them. Now of course she is never allowed near any middle aged men. Her hatred became apparent early on when she would rant “SHUT THE F UP F ING BIRD OR IMMA GONNA KILL U” and it was over and over in a deep mans voice. Sometimes late at night she will go into her rant and it’s been 17 years now. And it took forever for her not to fall to the floor of her cage upon seeing a broom.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My U2 is the sweetest girl ever until it comes to middle aged men. She will joyfully slash their face up to 2” given half a chance while pretending to be nice until she gets near them. Now of course she is never allowed near any middle aged men. Her hatred became apparent early on when she would rant “SHUT THE F UP F ING BIRD OR IMMA GONNA KILL U” and it was over and over in a deep mans voice. Sometimes late at night she will go into her rant and it’s been 17 years now. And it took forever for her not to fall to the floor of her cage upon seeing a broom.
:sad4:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Bebe cusses in deep male voice, 'shut the he double hockey sticks up, da*n bird, f off, and baby crying'. He scared to death of men, and will beak snap if they are around. Lots of love helps some of it.

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
If I woke up to that in the middle of the night, I think my blood would freeze.

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Oh it’s something hearing her do that and 99% of the time she says “I love you “ “good girl” etc etc in a sweet ladies voice.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I also have an adopted Grey who does not like men or children. I'm not sure if she's had bad experiences or just isn't used to them. Her previous owner was an elderly woman from Bosnia. In fact as soon as the lady who ran the rescue told me this I just said, "I'll take that one," since I'm long divorced, not interested in another relationship and do not have any children or grandchildren.

And she does sometimes create her own phrases. One evening she decided (I think) to put together "peek a boo" and her name "Oobie" and yelled out "Peek a booby!" Of course I laughed and she has continued saying it. I'm quite certain I never taught her to say "booby" :laugh: She also says F you, so she got that somewhere as she arrived to me with that phrase in her vocab. And she used to say something racist as well. I have ignored those last 2 hoping she would give them up. She hasn't said the racist thing for like 3 years now, but unfortunately still says F you. So I think when you hear the things that are upsetting either try to ignore them, or maybe say something back that rhymes but is nice. I have been trying to say "How are you?" when Oobie says F you since she does also say, "how are you." It hasn't worked yet, but it's worth a shot. I have another bird who says the F word as well so that one I might not be able to eradicate, but I try :)

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
My B&G Scallywags(she is 65) belonged to my grandmother originally and her favorite response to people who ask “Is that a real bird” is
“heck*, MotherF*****” followed by a ruffling of feathers. This is a guaranteed response.
If she asks for a grape (she will also ask for nuts,crackers, bananas,apples and cookies) and you give her something besides what she asked for, she will give you 3 attempts before she cusses you out. With a typical response of “Dammit/heck*, I want GRAPE”