• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I’m sorry my angel

Priya12

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Priya
Layla my African grey has a seizure and she was completely normal after but we failed to recognize that was a seizure, we though she just misplaced her foot later on she started lifting her one foot and wouldn’t put it down we took her to a emergency vet they said it’s probly broken And she’s also congested And then she started coughing they gave anitbiotics and pain med she coughed some during the night we had to hold her like a baby in the morning we took her to a vet blood was drawn but results would come two days later but she didn’t seem like she would make it 2 days , we couldn’t find another emergency vet and had to wait till our appointments two three hours later she was worsening with seizures she was just chirping the whole time but she couldn’t perch we finally got to the last doctor and he said take to a vet 1 and half our away she’s not going to make it but you can try he also said the whole time she was in his office she was seizuring and her left eye is blind , we finally get to the hospital they said she stable now and when discussing the treatment plan they were concerned it was vascular and her chances aren’t good and there maybe might not be a cure , we didnt do the the mri I wish we did ,we said our good byes Incase she passed , but then 6 hours later we get a call that now she’s suffering she’s not responding to the seizure medication and she’s just been having seizures since we left and it’s happening more consistently and frequently, I asked to put her thru the mri he said unfortunately her chances of coming out the mri are 0 and I asked to keep her 1 more hour but he said it’s to hard for them to watch her seizures cause it’s her whole body and now we are just prolonging death , her blood work was fine except for her being anemic and we have not metal access and she doesn’t chew on her cage and she does chew on things but nothing recently was done differently after a long days of suffering and seizures we decided to end her pain , I feel so guilty like after coming to this site there were things I wish I did different I’m sorry Layla I love you , fly high my angel

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m very sorry for your loss :sadhug:

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
I’m so sorry for your loss of dear Layla :sadhug2:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm terribly sorry about your loss of Layla.

Ask the vet if her death was caused by atherosclerosis. It is quite common in African Greys.

"Atherosclerosis is a common disease in parrots. The disease is found in all common parrot species, but especially in African Grey parrots and Amazons. It is a disease of older birds that is seen in both males and females. "

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( :sadhug2:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry for your loss.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I am so sorry for your loss, it sounds like you did everything you could for your sweet friend, so don’t beat yourself up. I’m sure she knew how much you loved her and it’s good she is at peace now.
:sadhug2:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2::sorrow:

Priya12

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Priya
We had to put her down she didn’t go on her own after we had her cremated as we do in our culture

Ask the vet if her death was caused by atherosclerosis. It is quite common in African Greys.

"Atherosclerosis is a common disease in parrots. The disease is found in all common parrot species, but especially in African Grey parrots and Amazons. It is a disease of older birds that is seen in both males and females. "

AzKhaleesi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Heather
I am so very sorry for your loss. Losing our babies is never easy. I too have lost two in the last year. My first B&G Boo Boo, she passed of a heart attack literally three days after I rescued her. My fiance tried giving her mouth to mouth (beak?) and chest compressions all the way to the emergency vet. I had her wrapped in a warm blanket (she didn't have many feathers from her previous home) and when we got to the stop light right before the office she died in my arms staring at me. I lost it. I was not very nice to the women in the vet office (I apologized later) we have her ashes in our living room. They told me most likely Boo was a heart attack because she had been raised on a primarily seed / nut diet. Then a few months ago our very first feather baby Sprite passed away. She was a warrior though. She lived through more than she probably ever should have and she was older. But it never gets easier. She's right next to Boo now. You did everything you could. Please don't feel bad and know that your baby is right next to you always.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
So sorry, you did all you could for her to give her a good life. The vet knew that she was very ill & dying giving you his expert advise. You did what you had to do to give her peace from the pain her body was in.

~Wings high Fly free Layla~

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It so difficult to lose a bird. May your grief be brief.

Priya12

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Priya
When reading the medical report the doctors put status epileptics ,I can’t imagine what she must have been going thru but what bothers me is that she was put down with pentobarbital isn’t that also a seizure medication.all I can do now is trust the doctor that they knew the right thing for her
So sorry, you did all you could for her to give her a good life. The vet knew that she was very ill & dying giving you his expert advise. You did what you had to do to give her peace from the pain her body was in.

I did check the medical records after her death and he had put status

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
We can only do the best we can but when they are suffering we have to decide whats best for them even though our hearts ache.

I guess it means seizures but they did not know what was causing them.
If they never stopped then something was seriously wrong so no time to try to figure it out.
They may have tried to give drugs to stop it IDK.
All I know is your options were given by a vet & hopefully they were knowledgeable & tried the best they could & gave you there honest opinion.

We can 2nd guess now but at the time Layla was suffering & dying.

mentions phenobarbitol for seizures as it can relax & lessen seizures but I'm sure different doses can have different affects & probably the vet gave her a large dose so she would go to sleep the easiest softest way to go.

Would be nice to know what cause it but the cause of seizures can be varied & many times its unknown why.

Last edited:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:sadhug2:I'm so sorry,,she knew you did everything you could for her..

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry

Love Birds

Meeting neighbors
Layla my African grey has a seizure and she was completely normal after but we failed to recognize that was a seizure, we though she just misplaced her foot later on she started lifting her one foot and wouldn’t put it down we took her to a emergency vet they said it’s probly broken And she’s also congested And then she started coughing they gave anitbiotics and pain med she coughed some during the night we had to hold her like a baby in the morning we took her to a vet blood was drawn but results would come two days later but she didn’t seem like she would make it 2 days , we couldn’t find another emergency vet and had to wait till our appointments two three hours later she was worsening with seizures she was just chirping the whole time but she couldn’t perch we finally got to the last doctor and he said take to a vet 1 and half our away she’s not going to make it but you can try he also said the whole time she was in his office she was seizuring and her left eye is blind , we finally get to the hospital they said she stable now and when discussing the treatment plan they were concerned it was vascular and her chances aren’t good and there maybe might not be a cure , we didnt do the the mri I wish we did ,we said our good byes Incase she passed , but then 6 hours later we get a call that now she’s suffering she’s not responding to the seizure medication and she’s just been having seizures since we left and it’s happening more consistently and frequently, I asked to put her thru the mri he said unfortunately her chances of coming out the mri are 0 and I asked to keep her 1 more hour but he said it’s to hard for them to watch her seizures cause it’s her whole body and now we are just prolonging death , her blood work was fine except for her being anemic and we have not metal access and she doesn’t chew on her cage and she does chew on things but nothing recently was done differently after a long days of suffering and seizures we decided to end her pain , I feel so guilty like after coming to this site there were things I wish I did different I’m sorry Layla I love you , fly high my angel
I am sorry for your loss of Layla. I lost one of my birds two days ago. We always think of things we could have done differently, but we do the best we can at the time.