• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I’m leaving for 20 days will my cockatiel be okay?

Will she be ok

• Yes calm down

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Maybe not :/

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Birdilove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Fatemeh
i have a cockatiel and 4 budgies they’re all good with each other for the most part. We live on the top floor of my in laws so someone will be able to check up on them everyday. The weather gets really hot as well so they will also be turning on the AC during the afternoon. My concern is will my cockatiel be ok alone with just the budgies. My sister in-law said she will try to spend time with her when ever she can but for the most part she’ll be alone with the other birds. They are all hand tamed and they will be let out on most days. I’m scared that I won’t be able to enjoy my trip because I will constantly be thinking about my cockatiel and if she’ll be okay. I though about taking her with me but it’s going to be difficult and the hot weather and new places is going to stress her. I keep having nightmares about her being alone and screaming with no one to be there for her, which sounds crazy but it’s only because I love her so much.

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
Bump

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
As long as your family visits every day and the birds get fresh food and water, you can call and check in too. Your tiel might be a little miffed or not, you can also talk on the phone to them and have your family send you pics from the phones.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It’s good they will be let out most days. That, and being given clean water and fresh food every day, are important. I also think having the papers on the bottom of the cage changed every few days would be good. Your bird will forgive you and everything will go back to normal a few days after you get back. I know it’s tough, I hate leaving my birds, but it should be okay.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Good idea that @Birdbabe shared!

Getting pictures always eases my mind. My pet sitter sends photo updates daily, it makes a massive difference.

@Birdilove Your cockatiel may be a little mad at you, but forgiveness will come in time. It sounds like you have an optimal situation. They are staying in their environment and the people caring for the birds are people they have probably seen before and heard.

I had to interview many pet sitters before I found one that didn't startle the birds. Some people don't get birds. When I found that person who knew how to be calm move carefully and be relaxed I knew I found the sitter for me. My birds didn't hide from her or yell at her...good sign :p

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the forum Fatimeh :fairy2:

Maybe you could videocall so you can interact a little with your bird?
Or set up a camera so you can watch her whenever you want :)