• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I’m afraid we made a mistake

Meredith4

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Debbie
So we got another cockatiel so that Our boy Luka would have a friend and not be the only bird. We wanted another male because we are not interested in breeding and hoped eventually they might cage together. Well we ended up with a female and fast forward a couple months and it Does not seem to be working out as I’d hoped. Because She is either trying to attack him or he is trying to mate with her we have to keep them separated it means both of them are getting less time out of the cage then I would like and because he was here first I feel lime she is getting the short end of the stick. I am feeling like I should rehome her while she is still young. anyone else ever found themselves in this situation and what did you do?

Cloud

Strolling the yard
I had to buy another cage because my male cockatiel, Cloud, keeps bothering her. My cockatiels are okay when they are out of their cages as long as they are not next to each other very close. Sometimes Cloud will drive my female cockatiel,
Sky, away from my shoulder because he got jealous and he wants me to pay attention to him at that moment. He also flirts with her, then he bothers her when he changes his mind.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They may calm down once their hormones get a bit under control. How much sleep do they get? It is hormonal time for a lot of birds right now. But they may always have to be in separate cages. I have 2 tiels and they have no interest in sharing a cage together. If they had a large enough play area they should be able to spend out of cage time together eventually I would think. Tiels usually aren't aggressive.

Avio77

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Minh Tran
Seems like a territorial thing.