• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I’d Like To Get a Macaw Someday...

BananaBird

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
I would really like to get a macaw someday (probably when I have my own house and can give him/her lots of space) and everyone says they are for very advanced parrot owners, so how do I get advanced enough for a macaw? Do they mean tons of research? Experience with other parrot types?
I would most likely want to get either a military or green wing macaw.
I would appreciate if everyone kept in mind that I’m new to being a parront, and am just trying to learn.
Thank you.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Research, research, research.

If possible, see if you can volunteer at a parrot rescue to get some experience with a variety of birds, large and small. Talk to macaw owners. Meet some macaws in the real world. Read everything you can.

You don't have to have prior bird experience. Owning smaller parrots won't really prepare you for a macaw, other than giving you some insight into parrot behaviors and some experience with reading body language. Also, if you do get a smaller parrot, they would need to be kept separate from the larger bird, which can get complicated. Because parrots live so long and require so much time and attention, it is best to get the bird you really want, rather than starting with a "beginner" bird and working up to your dream bird. The most important thing is that you will want to arm yourself with as much information as you can, so you will be ready to handle the unique challenges of macaw ownership.

Waiting until you have your own house and space for a large bird is a very good idea. Macaws are expensive pets, especially when you factor in routine vet bills, emergency vet bills, food expenses, and the cost of toys, cages, bird stands, and other supplies. It helps a lot if you wait until you are financially stable and have a good living situation.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My first parrot was a 19 year old wild caught Greenwing male macaw. This bird had been physically abused for 10 years before I got him. He was a beast. After three years of great highs and big heartbreak. Lots of patience and compromise on both us us we became best buddies for life. But I was an adult with lots of life experience too.

I say that you should get the bird you really want - even if it is a macaw. They are just a parrot and in my opinion much easier to live with than some little birds. Yes, they can bite and their bites can cause a lot of damage. They are louder than many other birds, but far less loud/noisy than smaller birds. They take up a lot of room because of their size and activity level. They are expensive because they are larger. Be sure you are financially prepared.

Of course a lot depends on your own personality and the bird can't do anything about that.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I don't believe in starter birds, and as @Destiny said, they won't really prepare you for a macaw. If a macaw is what you really want, then learn all you can about them. Everybody here say volunteer at a parrot rescue. That's great if there's one near you. Visit pet stores and handle macaws. If there's a local bird club, you might join it and see how many people have macaws. Bird clubs are very political, usually, and reminiscent of middle school drama, but you might be able to be around macaws that way.

Rick Jordan has a book, and Rosemary Low put out one a while ago. Joanne Abramson's book is out of print and not really for a beginner, plus it's expensive.

Macaws are expensive, more than ever now. I don't know how people can afford them with price tags from 4-6k for most. You'll need as large a cage as you can fit in your home. Notice I said home: a macaw is NOT an apartment bird. You'll need to be able to afford lots of toys, an avian vet, human-grade nuts, pellets, fresh fruits and vegetables daily, etc.

If you have a macaw, you will be bitten at some point. Your bird will scream loudly at some point, whether it's noisy or not. Macaws make macaw-sized messes daily, if not more frequently. If you go the baby route, your sweet baby will mature and change. Some birds become hands-off, hormonal at times, etc. Adopting an older bird means that what you see is what you get.

You have a lot to learn, and depending on your job, you'll need to save up around 10k for bird, cage, toys, food, etc.

BananaBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks everyone , that was very helpful. I really wish I could volunteer at bird shelters and visit people who have them, but I don’t know of any near me, and no one I know has a parrot. Anyone know of a parrot rescue in Alberta Canada? I won’t give exact location though.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I established a good relationship with a bird store near my home, and visited the macaws they had in for boarding and also when they were in to be rehomed.

They welcomed the additional socialization that I, and others like me, were able to offer.

Not a rescue, but Pine Valley Aviary is a well respected breeder that might be near you.

Reactions: tka

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't recommend that you get a baby as your first macaw. That makes it two beginners who don't know nothing trying to learn from someone who doesn't know anything. Try adopting a mature bird - you get what you see and don't have to wait for five years to see what you got.

redindiaink

Avenue Veteran
Thanks everyone , that was very helpful. I really wish I could volunteer at bird shelters and visit people who have them, but I don’t know of any near me, and no one I know has a parrot. Anyone know of a parrot rescue in Alberta Canada? I won’t give exact location though.
Birdline in Calgary and IIRC there is a bird club there too? @JLcribber might have a few ideas.

Meikas Bird House is in Sherwood Park. Otherwise I'd try asking the parrot resource centre on facebook, or try asking parrottrends.ca she's based in Alberta and might have a few ideas too.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Meika’s Safe House is the only real rescue around in the northern Alberta area. Janine and Ian are fabulous people to deal with.

Both Edmonton and Calgary have parrot associations. You can find out more about all of them on their FB pages.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Highly recommend Meika's Safehouse.

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Joanne Abramson's book is out of print and not really for a beginner, plus it's expensive.

Macaws are expensive, more than ever now. I don't know how people can afford them with price tags from 4-6k for most. You'll need as large a cage as you can fit in your home. Notice I said home: a macaw is NOT an apartment bird. You'll need to be able to afford lots of toys, an avian vet, human-grade nuts, pellets, fresh fruits and vegetables daily, etc.

If you have a macaw, you will be bitten at some point. Your bird will scream loudly at some point, whether it's noisy or not. Macaws make macaw-sized messes daily, if not more frequently. If you go the baby route, your sweet baby will mature and change. Some birds become hands-off, hormonal at times, etc. Adopting an older bird means that what you see is what you get.

You have a lot to learn, and depending on your job, you'll need to save up around 10k for bird, cage, toys, food, etc.
Would just like to build on these comments:

See if you can find Abramson's book at a library. Even if yours does not stock it (rather likely), they may be able to do an inter-library loan and get it for you. Plan on spending HOURS reading through it. I ended up buying a used copy, paid $300, and it was worth every penny, even though it was published in 1995.

Blue and Golds (the high-energy clowns of the family) are the most common, and the most common ones available at rescue centers. Green Wings (larger, but more-or-less calmer) are probably the 2nd most common from my research. Militaries and several other are CITES schedule 1 listed - meaning they can not be sold across US State boundaries. Adoption fees for Blue and Golds typically run about $500-$550, but acquisition price should be the least of your concerns - you will easily spend thousands, more likely tens of thousands, in cages, food, toys, and vet bills over its lifetime. Really nice Expanded Habitat stainless steel cages (kind of the ultimate cage) can easily set you back $5K or more depending on the size. Dropping another $500 on their toys, perches, swings, etc. for that cage is also really easy to do - and that is just to provide a place to call home.

All macaws are messy eaters. Give it a nice bowl of pellets and watch it throw away 95% because its looking for the special yellow one...

Highly recommend removing all jewelry, especially gold rings, because a macaw can crush those as easily as you and I can blink. With Seymour coming (a ruby), my wife and I are replacing our gold rings with titanium ones. Those SHOULD be macaw safe. At least the online jeweler is claiming if they ever bend one, they will replace it for free - and likely hang the damaged one up in their office! You can get really nice titanium rings online for a few hundred dollars - we are considering it a safety investment. Having had one crushed by my daughters Green Wing, I'd really prefer not to experience that a 2nd time.

Can't second the notion of adopting a 10+ year old bird more strongly. Please avoid the whole breeder pushed "if you raise it from a baby it will be yours forever!" bulldookey. If you do go the breeder route, only get the bird after it is fully weaned and ideally fledged. If they are willing to care for it until then, they may be OK. If they push you to take it before its weaned, run away.

Once you acquire a bird, realize it may take months before it settles in - and possibly 2-3 years before it really becomes comfortable. Never yell at the bird, NEVER EVER EVER hit the bird out of anger - like if it takes a piece of your ear off with that earring you thought was safe to wear because it has ignored it for years. If your the type that lashes out when you experience pain, figure out how to move past that, or don't get a macaw. Seriously. The good news is that they are physiologically incapable of biting off a finger... but they can bust one in an instant. You don't want to piss off a macaw. Most of the time their bites are simply their way to saying "NO" or at least "Not NOW". Bites will hurt. Hopefully they won't draw blood unless you really pissed it off. They will likely bruise.

Read up on harness training. It takes a long time to get a bird to allow you to put a harness on it (think months), but once you do, you should be safe to take it outside with you. You will both enjoy that. Don't even think about "free flight" training until you have a few years together (and I don't recommend it even then, especially if there are hawks or eagles in your area).

Just my 2 cents. Others may disagree.

BananaBird

Celebirdy of the Month
I established a good relationship with a bird store near my home, and visited the macaws they had in for boarding and also when they were in to be rehomed.

They welcomed the additional socialization that I, and others like me, were able to offer.

Not a rescue, but Pine Valley Aviary is a well respected breeder that might be near you.
Ugh, there’s like no bird stores around here, unless you want to drive 6 hours :(.

Thanks!

BananaBird

Celebirdy of the Month
I don't recommend that you get a baby as your first macaw. That makes it two beginners who don't know nothing trying to learn from someone who doesn't know anything. Try adopting a mature bird - you get what you see and don't have to wait for five years to see what you got.
I won’t. I will definitely wait until I have my own house, and until I find an adult.

BananaBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Birdline in Calgary and IIRC there is a bird club there too? @JLcribber might have a few ideas.

Meikas Bird House is in Sherwood Park. Otherwise I'd try asking the parrot resource centre on facebook, or try asking parrottrends.ca she's based in Alberta and might have a few ideas too.
I’m not near any of those places I’m sorry

Ok I will

BananaBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Would just like to build on these comments:

See if you can find Abramson's book at a library. Even if yours does not stock it (rather likely), they may be able to do an inter-library loan and get it for you. Plan on spending HOURS reading through it. I ended up buying a used copy, paid $300, and it was worth every penny, even though it was published in 1995.

Blue and Golds (the high-energy clowns of the family) are the most common, and the most common ones available at rescue centers. Green Wings (larger, but more-or-less calmer) are probably the 2nd most common from my research. Militaries and several other are CITES schedule 1 listed - meaning they can not be sold across US State boundaries. Adoption fees for Blue and Golds typically run about $500-$550, but acquisition price should be the least of your concerns - you will easily spend thousands, more likely tens of thousands, in cages, food, toys, and vet bills over its lifetime. Really nice Expanded Habitat stainless steel cages (kind of the ultimate cage) can easily set you back $5K or more depending on the size. Dropping another $500 on their toys, perches, swings, etc. for that cage is also really easy to do - and that is just to provide a place to call home.

All macaws are messy eaters. Give it a nice bowl of pellets and watch it throw away 95% because its looking for the special yellow one...

Highly recommend removing all jewelry, especially gold rings, because a macaw can crush those as easily as you and I can blink. With Seymour coming (a ruby), my wife and I are replacing our gold rings with titanium ones. Those SHOULD be macaw safe. At least the online jeweler is claiming if they ever bend one, they will replace it for free - and likely hang the damaged one up in their office! You can get really nice titanium rings online for a few hundred dollars - we are considering it a safety investment. Having had one crushed by my daughters Green Wing, I'd really prefer not to experience that a 2nd time.

Can't second the notion of adopting a 10+ year old bird more strongly. Please avoid the whole breeder pushed "if you raise it from a baby it will be yours forever!" bulldookey. If you do go the breeder route, only get the bird after it is fully weaned and ideally fledged. If they are willing to care for it until then, they may be OK. If they push you to take it before its weaned, run away.

Once you acquire a bird, realize it may take months before it settles in - and possibly 2-3 years before it really becomes comfortable. Never yell at the bird, NEVER EVER EVER hit the bird out of anger - like if it takes a piece of your ear off with that earring you thought was safe to wear because it has ignored it for years. If your the type that lashes out when you experience pain, figure out how to move past that, or don't get a macaw. Seriously. The good news is that they are physiologically incapable of biting off a finger... but they can bust one in an instant. You don't want to piss off a macaw. Most of the time their bites are simply their way to saying "NO" or at least "Not NOW". Bites will hurt. Hopefully they won't draw blood unless you really pissed it off. They will likely bruise.

Read up on harness training. It takes a long time to get a bird to allow you to put a harness on it (think months), but once you do, you should be safe to take it outside with you. You will both enjoy that. Don't even think about "free flight" training until you have a few years together (and I don't recommend it even then, especially if there are hawks or eagles in your area).

Just my 2 cents. Others may disagree.
I’ll try and find that at a library!

I know it will be very pricy, but I think I could build a kind of indoor aviary for not too crazy, and Imake my own natural wood perches. I will be saving up a lot though.

Thanks for all the tips !

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Since owning a macaw is a long-term goal, you have time to plan and prepare. Even if if there are no bird rescues, sanctuaries, or breeders near you right now, that doesn't mean you couldn't make plans to travel in order to visit one or find yourself close to one of them at some point.

Maybe when you have a long weekend or a few days off work/school, you could arrange a day trip or short vacation that will put you close enough to visit a bird rescue. It is worth some extra effort to meet some macaws and talk to people who have direct experience with these birds.

Now is also a good time to think about veterinary care. With birds, it can be extra tricky to find a knowledgeable veterinarian, but it can be a matter of life or death in an emergency. You will want to check your area and determine your best choice for routine care and what options are available for emergencies. Depending on where you live, that might mean traveling a long way to reach a qualified avian vet.

BananaBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Since owning a macaw is a long-term goal, you have time to plan and prepare. Even if if there are no bird rescues, sanctuaries, or breeders near you right now, that doesn't mean you couldn't make plans to travel in order to visit one or find yourself close to one of them at some point.

Maybe when you have a long weekend or a few days off work/school, you could arrange a day trip or short vacation that will put you close enough to visit a bird rescue. It is worth some extra effort to meet some macaws and talk to people who have direct experience with these birds.

Now is also a good time to think about veterinary care. With birds, it can be extra tricky to find a knowledgeable veterinarian, but it can be a matter of life or death in an emergency. You will want to check your area and determine your best choice for routine care and what options are available for emergencies. Depending on where you live, that might mean traveling a long way to reach a qualified avian vet.
Thank you, I will try and do that the next opportunity that I have.

I do have one who takes birds about an hour away, but am searching for a better one.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
I would really like to get a macaw someday (probably when I have my own house and can give him/her lots of space) and everyone says they are for very advanced parrot owners, so how do I get advanced enough for a macaw? Do they mean tons of research? Experience with other parrot types?
I would most likely want to get either a military or green wing macaw.
I would appreciate if everyone kept in mind that I’m new to being a parront, and am just trying to learn.
Thank you.
thats why I love the mini macaw. the full size one can take your hand off and teach you the hard way. although loving and kind birds its a fulltime job. every bird species requires research. the more intelligent of species the more research it requires in my opinion not to mention time and even then we never fully understand everything they communicate. its a life long learning process. not everyone with a macaw knows what they’re doing and that is why rescues get them. big responsibility, like with a regular kid not everyone is a parent no master parents. just people who keep their kids healthy right?

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Just for the record, a macaw cannot bite off a finger - just not anatomically possible. Can break that finger in a blink though - so never piss it off. That said, my wife and I are in the process of replacing our gold rings with titanium ones. A Macaw can turn a gold ring into a deeply indented heart shaped one during a sneeze.

Hahns... I think you overestimate people... <smile>