• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hyperactivity when out

QuakerCraz

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
So, not sure if this is the right place to post this but here it is anyway.

JoJo is pretty much weaned now, making him about 2-2 and a half months old give or take. Whenever I have him out, which is several times a day, he seems to get really rambunctious and over excited. He also seems to want to do nothing but bug Sweetie every time he's out. I'm still trying to figure out when I'll be able to get his official cage but it looks like it won't be till the end of this month/beginning-middle of August when I'll be able to order it. I've tried finding a second hand cage near me but nothing came up that fits what I need. I may have found the right size cage but I didn't trust it.

Is JoJo's rambunctiousness just due to him being young or could it be his food? Maybe a combination? Lack of toys? I hate that I have to put him back up after a such a short time being out because he starts getting too rough with both me and Sweetie. He's out for maybe 10-20 minutes at a time, sometimes longer if he behaves, then he starts getting rough and rambunctious. I know this because Sweetie hi-tails it back into her cage to get away from him after a short while.

Any advice on what to do to calm him down a bit?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
bump

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
He just has a different energy level than your other bird. Let him do what he needs to do for out of the cage time.

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
I figured as much. I'm just not used to it I guess. Sweetie is pretty energetic but compared to JoJo, she's lazy. I figured out something that might help curb the rowdyness a bit. I'll cover Sweetie up so JoJo doesn't bug her every single time he's out. He goes right over to her and pesters her each time. I'll get him to focus more on me and get him to sit calmly but still let him fly around if he wants to. Maybe I could start working on some targeting to get his mind ticking so he's doing something while he's out. Just some simple follow the stick stuff maybe. I'm going to switch his pellets when the Zupreem Natural run low. Gonna put him on the Tropican Lifetime Formula as I like that there's no sugar in it and it smells amazing. Like a banana laffy taffy.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Why don't you place some birdie things for him out of the cage. A simple thing I did was to hang a scarf holder in the ceiling above the cage. They love that because they are up high. Other items can be hung from the ceiling also. You should not cover the other birds cage, its not fair to her. She will most likely become even more inactive.

Attachments

Reactions: tka

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
Sweetie is actually extremely active. I'll only cover her to keep JoJo from bugging her all the time so he not always focused on her and only on occasion so I can have his attention instead of him pestering the daylights out of Sweetie all the time. I can't hang anything in the house since the house is rented. I would love to put all sorts of play gyms and hanging stuff otherwise. The cage I'm getting has a play gym on it but still waiting on funds for it. Gonna be another couple weeks. The cage JoJo is in is supposed to be Sweeties upgraded cage so it's actually much too small. It's a temporary setup as JoJo was in the process of weaning and learning to fly. He's weaned now and flies just fine now(though I need to work with him with the rest of the house) so the new cage is kinda needed now and I've been pushing to get it ordered. JoJo would love a hanging gym but I have to be careful with being in a rented house.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My house is rented also. I asked about placing a hook in ceiling and it was ok. Easy to repair when it is made ready for a new renter. Its just a very small hook that holds well.
I can't hang anything in the house since the house is rented.

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
Well, I live in a mobile home. It's a bit different. Plus my mom is the one paying the rent as I live with her. There's no telling how long we'll actually be here so we're not poking holes in the walls. Or as few as possible. We're like that with every rented place. We avoid holes bigger than a thumbtack in rented places if we can avoid it.

There is something I could do though. If there's an inexpensive playstand I could get or something I could make for cheap, I could put something on my dresser that will be next to JoJo's official cage. The dresser is pretty tall as it is and there's ample space above it for something at least 3 or so more feet taller. Won't have to put holes anywhere and I could move it around. Plus I could have a tray under it for poop and food to fall into for easy cleaning and to save the carpet.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Play Stand good idea. Anything that grabs his attention. Especially if you have a food dish attached.

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
The stand on the cage I have selected has two dishes attached so I can have some food and water available there. I'm also thinking about having a custom natural branch fitted to it so I can take the dowel off. Maybe make it more like a tree than just a straight branch so there's a couple perching spots rather than one. Make it a bit more interesting than just a regular ol' plain dowel. Once I get the cage, I'll get a measurement on the dowel and whatnot and see where I could get a custom perch branch made to fit it.

I might even see about other attachments to the cage itself to make it more appealing to play on. Something that both Sweetie and JoJo would enjoy. Lots to look into.

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
Ok so, back onto the topic of foods. I'm actually not sure of JoJo likes the Tropican pellets. I've been giving him some from the sample pack and it seems he picks out all the Zupreem pellets and leaves the Tropican. He does the same with the tropimix but eats everything else mostly. Jjust leaves the pellets and some of the smaller bits. I like Harrison's but there's no where local I can get it at and Roudybush is good but there's not much in terms of fruits and vegetables and other stuff like that in it like there is in Harrison's and even Zupreem naturals(despite the sugar). I would be able to get a sample of both Harrison's and Roudybush but I can't at this time. Unless I can try emailing them again since it;s been a bit since I contacted them last.