• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hybrid Macaws link and pictures

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I wonder if the time will come when we have no purebreds to help repopulate a dying wild population. I personally don't care for the hybrids - no one can outdo Mother Nature.

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
The increase in hybrids is a natural response as new laws and restrictions and permit usage is required. There is not a scientific species name for any hybrid macaw and without that name they cannot be placed on the cites list. For every action there is a reaction regardless of opinions on the matter.
i think they’re beautiful like this young lady, who is such a sweetheart, and she’s 3rd generation. She’s a Maui Hybrid
C18C76BB-F7AE-450A-87C9-C4C34A91B83E.jpeg

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The increase in hybrids is a natural response as new laws and restrictions and permit usage is required. There is not a scientific species name for any hybrid macaw and without that name they cannot be placed on the cites list. For every action there is a reaction regardless of opinions on the matter.
i think they’re beautiful like this young lady, who is such a sweetheart, and she’s 3rd generation. She’s a Maui Hybrid
View attachment 347039
Which unfortunately is untrue. When they list the purebreds for restrictions they sub category the hybrids with them. So when they listed the scarlet that would include all hybrids with scarlet genes. :( The hybrids will not/are not safe either.

hejairi

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ayman
I have been breeding for over 30yrs mostly new mutations and mutation combinations and largely for the pet market or bird show crowd.
But i have been working with existing hybrids for 25yrs and Though i am still very much against producing 1 st gen hybrids(there so many as is) i see nothing wrong with the responsible breeding of the hybrids already in existence. We are now breeding successfully F4 4th gen hybrids including capri and in 2019 I produced a baby with a yellow dom capri x capri
this year i have produced 5 baby CataSunsets From a Catalina2(CatalinaXcatalina) x maui sunset(b&g x red front) the first 3 babies have looked the same ghe last 2 are different the youngest completely different and was looking for any others with similar pr or prs with either of these hybrids. View attachment 339117
Amazing God bless

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

27jadkins

Moving in
Real Name
Jessica LeBegue
Hello, I am adopting a hybrid into my family in the next few weeks her name is Trixie. She is an Ara ararauna × Ara macao. She is not my first companion and I am looking for any tips that you may have to introduce her to my home. I have an CAG that I have had since she was 16 weeks old. She will be 9 next may. The info behind Trixie is that she was bought by a woman that had another bird when she brought her home, I believe that she hand weaned her. She had her for the last five years and for unknown reasons she sold her to a local pet store. She has been there for the last 6 months. When she came in she was cage bound and very moody. The store dose not normally take parrots of any kind, but they said that this was a rare exception to take the bird. I was not planning on having another bird, but I walked in and it felt like she called to me. I walked back and we talked and talked. The store manager said that she really likes you. After about a half hour of interacting with her I asked about her, her cage was too small, her beak and nails overgrown. They said that it was all they could do in the situation to get her out of the poor situation that she was in and that they have been working with her. They have adjusted her diet to a proper one with chop and pellett diet, she was just on seed before. I told them to let me discuss this with my partner as taking on a new bird is a huge responsibility and I wanted to make sure we were both willing to take her on. My partner agreed to meeting her and taking her on if she liked him. When she met him she stepped right up and I knew she was going to come home with us. I have set u an appointment with our avian vet for beak and nail trimming and have been looking for an avairy to transition her too. I know that the transition will be a slow one, and introduction will be a gradual process that I am planning to take at least 6 months. My primary objective is to keep my CAG safe while we learn who the new bird is in her new enviorment. I plan to have her in my room for the first few months. My CAG is fully flighted and has full acess to the living room and kitchen. I have a medical grade filter system that I alredy use to help reduce the dander from My CAG. I do plan to add a second now to help reduce the risk that the decreased air quality may affect the Macaw. Any tips you may have would be greatly appreciated. I know my CAG like the back of my hand, I am used to birds that are sensitive as my CAG can be at times. I am no longer her chosen person, that ended about 5 years ago when she started to grow up. She still loves me as a flock member but she loves my partner as her person. I have a savings account that I put money in for my bird so that she can be taken care of after I leave this world. Looks like I will need to start doubling my contrubution. Thank you all.

Attachments

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Which unfortunately is untrue. When they list the purebreds for restrictions they sub category the hybrids with them. So when they listed the scarlet that would include all hybrids with scarlet genes. :( The hybrids will not/are not safe either.
which is why i stopped posting anything

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Someone wants to surrender a hybrid to us and they aren't sure of the exact cross. They said the parents are a Ruby macaw (scarlet x green wing) bred back to a scarlet. Any idea what they would be? I've looked through the list of hybrids I have and I can't find it in the F2 generation list.

Karearea

Meeting neighbors
Someone wants to surrender a hybrid to us and they aren't sure of the exact cross. They said the parents are a Ruby macaw (scarlet x green wing) bred back to a scarlet. Any idea what they would be? I've looked through the list of hybrids I have and I can't find it in the F2 generation list.
As far as I'm aware, they do not have a common name as they aren't bred often. Perhaps a rubylet? :)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Monica Have you any ideas?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Might just call it a second gen ruby that's mostly scarlet?

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Might just call it a second gen ruby that's mostly scarlet?
That seems logical. I can't seem to find a reference to one as a documented hybrid either in the F2 or F3 generation.

Karearea

Meeting neighbors
Time for some hybrid news!
1) An update on a young miliquin macaw (military x harlequin macaw). Personally I love the red on her chest, her brothers and sisters don't quite have the same coloration.
1653003899496.png

2)The two goldenbleu macaws (golden conure x blue-headed macaw) bred by Cherane Pefley have finally grown their feathers! Can find more footage on her youtube channel:
1653004007983.png

3) Speaking of golden conures, these goldenobles (golden conure x hahn's macaw) have also fledged!
1653004152171.png

4) I remember someone in the thread asking about blue-throated macaw hybrids, and didn't see this guy mentioned. OurFeatheredFriends21 on Instagram owns a harlequin x BTM hybrid named Winter, who is currently undergoing some free flight training: https://www.instagram.com/ourfeatheredfriends21/
1653004203472.png

5) There's also Miracle the pied jubicat (jubilee x catalina macaw) owned by Jewels of Paradise on Instagram, who is likely to be bred with a scarlet macaw in the next few years.
1653004268521.png

6) And finally, JC Aviary has been planning to create a ruby x miligold macaw hybrid, which to my knowledge has not been done yet. http://instagr.am/p/Cbge-btgT38/
If anyone has anything I missed, please post! Although I personally am not a fan of hybrids, I absolutely love learning about all that's going on.