• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hybrid Macaws link and pictures

Mansion75

Meeting neighbors
Here's ours and with everyone's help we have determined she's a harlequin.
She's a rescue
Very feisty but warming up.
She went from " don't touch me" to " I'll step up and be silly, when I Want to" lol
She we put her toe in front of her beak and "shhhhhh" and has a huge vocabulary

Attachments

pcmichelle

Moving in
Real Name
Michelle
This is Lucy, my very first macaw.... she’s approx 6 and is a rehome. She’s a Catalina macaw and is just the sweetest bird ever! I literally just brought her home last night. She is settling in well so far. She will let me touch her all over but not quite ready to step up yet. I think she’s absolutely gorgeous! I found it interesting that one wing has bright yellow feathers and the other has dark blue that could almost be from a hyacinth! 3251E1F2-AC49-4D69-8816-4F7831037746.jpeg FD1E2FA7-FC70-48C4-BE30-9F8250CFC846.jpeg 1F46C21D-E69A-43F1-B92A-B9FAAC9B970D.jpeg

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
This is Lucy, my very first macaw.... she’s approx 6 and is a rehome. She’s a Catalina macaw and is just the sweetest bird ever! I literally just brought her home last night. She is settling in well so far. She will let me touch her all over but not quite ready to step up yet. I think she’s absolutely gorgeous! I found it interesting that one wing has bright yellow feathers and the other has dark blue that could almost be from a hyacinth! View attachment 324301 View attachment 324302 View attachment 324303
I actually noticed that from your welcome post but I was very side tracked by her feet.

My guess is the same skin pigment change she has on her feet is also on her body causing that wing to be that mute yellow. It's different but not unheard of. I'm going to tag @Monica as I know she likes this weird stuff. :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
More photos of the feathers in question can help... (right wing does appear yellow, but feathers can also be yellow from underneath) but can say that "pied" characteristics (lacking melanin in some areas) is "common" in B&G hybrids. That is, if you see a hybrid with markings like that, it's almost always a B&G hybrid.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
More photos of the feathers in question can help... (right wing does appear yellow, but feathers can also be yellow from underneath) but can say that "pied" characteristics (lacking melanin in some areas) is "common" in B&G hybrids. That is, if you see a hybrid with markings like that, it's almost always a B&G hybrid.
They are going to be mute yellow with a white vein I bet. ;)

Love the feet though, never seen that in a macaw. How often do you see it Monica? I don't follow hybrids much ( although these days I barely consider a catalina a hybrid. Lol )

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I see maybe 1-3 hybrids a year with it? The B&G hybrids are pretty common as is, but actually having that trait is less common.

Cynthia of Many Feathers would actually be a better person to ask. :) Lots of speculation about it of course! Such as a hidden pied gene or maybe it's something else? Definitely unique at least!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
There are 19 types of Macaws and several hybrid Macaw types. Hybridization of birds is a controversial subject. I am told that often the birds that are hybrids are sterile and cannot reproduce. Hybrid macaws are unlike any other macaw species out there—they are crosses of many popular macaw species, bred strictly for color and pet quality. While I do not agree with this practice I chose the color pattern of a Harlequin Macaw. After completion the orange chest and head look more gold.

mac.jpg

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I am told that often the birds that are hybrids are sterile and cannot reproduce.
Quite the contrary... most hybrid parrots out there are fertile! This includes mini macaw x large conure hybrids!

Very few are sterile, and some we simply don't know as no attempt has been made to breed the hybrids.

Nice coloring of the macaw! :)

Christy

Checking out the neighborhood
I can’t find any info on Blue Throat hybrids. Does anyone have pics and names?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica

DavidD

Quite the contrary... most hybrid parrots out there are fertile! This includes mini macaw x large conure hybrids!

Very few are sterile, and some we simply don't know as no attempt has been made to breed the hybrids.

Nice coloring of the macaw! :)
I would also like to add, there are many other birds where hybridization hasn't been proven to make sterile offspring. Being a falconer, I'd like to call attention many of the raptor hybrids.

Back on topic however, are there any hybrids that involve a flame crossing with any other bird? Why is it that green wing hybrids after the second gen are not popular?

@pcmichelle Is it possible to get more shots of that yellow feather in the wing? Really interesting. I almost bought a flame macaw that had pied toes, but our friend that went with us to look at the bird freaked out and said that bird was bad luck, cancer, and would develop horrible health problems when older (I live in Taiwan now, some folks are superstitious). So the rest of the family thought it best to avoid the bird despite how amazing it looked, because the potential negative stigma for visitors to our home.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm not all that familiar with raptor hybrids, but have heard of people doing this.... there's also the corvid hybrids. Again, I don't know much about them either...

As for GW hybrids.... not sure. Perhaps Cynthia of Many Feathers may have a better answer there? She has mentioned before that some hybrids aren't 100% healthy due to the crossings not being closely related. (minor things as compared to some other hybrids - except perhaps for some multi-gen hybrid hyacinths? hard to say for sure there)

Jason Blades

Real Name
Jason Blades
I have been breeding for over 30yrs mostly new mutations and mutation combinations and largely for the pet market or bird show crowd.
But i have been working with existing hybrids for 25yrs and Though i am still very much against producing 1 st gen hybrids(there so many as is) i see nothing wrong with the responsible breeding of the hybrids already in existence. We are now breeding successfully F4 4th gen hybrids including capri and in 2019 I produced a baby with a yellow dom capri x capri
this year i have produced 5 baby CataSunsets From a Catalina2(CatalinaXcatalina) x maui sunset(b&g x red front) the first 3 babies have looked the same ghe last 2 are different the youngest completely different and was looking for any others with similar pr or prs with either of these hybrids. 2AE6F03A-E904-4686-A427-23B0A7F5ABA3.jpeg

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@Jason Blades I'm not aware of any other catasunsets, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. It is interesting that one chick has harlequin colorations. Red dom as you'd call the chick.

My best suggestion would be to contact Cynthia of Many Feathers. She may have more knowledge about any that might be out there! :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have been breeding for over 30yrs mostly new mutations and mutation combinations and largely for the pet market or bird show crowd.
But i have been working with existing hybrids for 25yrs and Though i am still very much against producing 1 st gen hybrids(there so many as is) i see nothing wrong with the responsible breeding of the hybrids already in existence. We are now breeding successfully F4 4th gen hybrids including capri and in 2019 I produced a baby with a yellow dom capri x capri
this year i have produced 5 baby CataSunsets From a Catalina2(CatalinaXcatalina) x maui sunset(b&g x red front) the first 3 babies have looked the same ghe last 2 are different the youngest completely different and was looking for any others with similar pr or prs with either of these hybrids. View attachment 339117
Stunning baby!

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
A local breeder is retiring and she has a pair of Camelot macaws for sale. They are huge and their colors are stunning. Bright yellow and electric blue. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a picture because they went into their nest box when I approached. She said they give her a few babies a year that are similar in color, and once in a while, they surprise her with something completely different.