• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Hybrid lovebird?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I'm fairly certain my new gal is a hybrid. My question isn't regarding breeding her, as even if she isn't, I don't want to breed her.

I've already seen her carrying off shredded paper both in her beak and tailfeathers. she's got a tiny patch of black on the nape of her neck, but also has a blue toosh like my Guzma, but she does have a very prominent eyering and that not quite red and not quite horn colored beak.

What I'd really like to know is what I can expect from her health-wise (or some sort of identification, if she isn't a hybrid). She's a younger bird, and I'd like her to be around for a while.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Definitely a hybrid between an eye ring and peach face. You couldn't breed her even if you wanted to. I'm not sure what the life expectancy is on them.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Definitely a hybrid between an eye ring and peach face. You couldn't breed her even if you wanted to. I'm not sure what the life expectancy is on them.
Glad to hear I was right about what she is, thank you. I was really worried I got her 'species' wrong. I really don't want to produce hybrids.

Just wish there was more info about how long she'll live. I think both species live for 10-15ish, but I can't find much info on hybrids.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
PF lovies are more 15-20, but can get as high as 30.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hybrid birds are often infertile, even the big birds.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I like your attitude.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Oof, she bites a whole lot harder than my peachie. I take it that eye rings have a stronger bite force, and she just inherited this trait? It hurt worse than my flu shot and she latched on like a pitbull. Never had a bird do that. (It was my fault I got bit, anyways.)

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Garet Peachies can bite plenty hard - yours just chooses not to bite you that hard. This one, on the other hand, has no issues with clamping. ;)

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Peachies can hurt when they really set their minds to it. Luna during nesting time vs Luna any other time is a whole world of hurt worth of difference.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@fluffypoptarts Ah, I see. :p Just assumed that peachies can't bite as hard because he's never done it, even when he gets in his grouchiest of moods. My mistake.
Nope! And I think they rarely bite as hard as they could bite. They really hold back with people they’ve bonded to, even when they’re feeling very aggressive.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Peachies can hurt when they really set their minds to it. Luna during nesting time vs Luna any other time is a whole world of hurt worth of difference.
Ah, I see. It's not like I'm not used to being bit, I'm just surprised she latched on like that until I pulled my hand back.

Nope! And I think they rarely bite as hard as they could bite. They really hold back with people they’ve bonded to, even when they’re feeling very aggressive.
Well, I was only just given her on Friday by her old owner, who couldn't take care of her due to health reasons, so it makes sense. I really don't think she was being aggressive, as she is perfectly happy to see me on her own terms, she just didn't like me putting my hand where it didn't belong. Hopefully, she'll be quicker to let go once she realizes I'm not a threat.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m just saying, you may see her more aggressive at some point! :) Right now she’s still settling in. Yes, you will probably get some leniency from her once you gain her trust and she bonds to you. My most aggressive hen, Snerky, has definitely lightened up on me over the time I’ve had her (we’ve been together for 4+ years now).

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I’m just saying, you may see her more aggressive at some point! :) Right now she’s still settling in. Yes, you will probably get some leniency from her once you gain her trust and she bonds to you. My most aggressive hen, Snerky, has definitely lightened up on me over the time I’ve had her (we’ve been together for 4+ years now).
If I do get bit even harder, it'll be my fault every time. :p I've gotten bitten by bigger animals in my days, and Nana's too cute and cuddly to be mad at. She's not an aggressive girl and was hand-raised by a very nice man before I got her. He's actually got videos of Nana up on youtube. It's very sad that he couldn't keep her, but I'm very happy to have her.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
They will let you know when they are not happy with something that is for sure.

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
It's a black mask peachface hybrid.
Beautiful bird!