• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hyacinths & Black Cockatoos: Adelaide Zoo

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'm not going to look. I'm simply not going to torture myself....OMG! How can I not look???? I absolutely LOVE these guys...melting all over my desk right now...stunning, just stunning...

MenomaMinx

Sprinting down the street
Kind of confused, as Hyacinth macaws are common in the bird stores I frequent here in New Jersey. Although overpriced, usually around $16,000 US, black palm cockatoos are available too – in fact, my Kumiko is incredibly fond of the one over at Todd Marcus's birds exotic {although personally, that particular bird's personality just doesn't appeal to me, even if I had the money – which I don't}

is this a freak occurrence in New Jersey concerning bird species availability? Are these two species really that hard to get on the mainstream market?

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
The black cockatoo here is not a palm, but a redtail black :) whilst they are in the US trade, they aren't common there.

The hyacinth was a big deal, for me at least, as we have about two pairs in the entire country, youll never be able to own or frequently see them here in Australia.

MenomaMinx

Sprinting down the street
Are there laws against importation? The US is overloaded with homeless macaws :-(

I've never seen a red tail in person before, but there's a couple of breeders online that specialize in rare cockatoos – so I'm pretty sure they're obtainable too.

Anyway, if you want one of the macaws, and can figure out the import laws , I could help you try to get one since I know where they're selling them. Technically, some adoption places will even compromise on a no shipping policy if a human being physically takes the bird to its new home ( which the adoption agency would investigate via WebCam in lieu of an actual home visit ).

About the only benefit I get from being disabled is free passage for anyone with me who's assisting me.I also have two registered service animals that are required to be allowed fly in the cabin with me in carriers as far as the government is concerned. register for Welcome to Couchsurfing! - Couchsurfing and get verified. I'll use that as leverage concerning adoption .

You should be able to get a fellow couch surfer to bring you the bird; but if not, I'd do it if you're willing to wait until next year.