• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hyacinth macaw smell

orni'morphosis

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ornithomorphosis AKA Avian Aficionado, Bird
Hello guys! I'm back. I have a question for those with Hyacinth macaws. What do Hyacinth macaws smell like? Do they have their own smells? Do males and females smell different? Do they smell different or stronger during the breeding season?
Basically it's questions about pheromones in Hyacinth macaws. It's quite an interesting topic that can spread some light on the little studied Hyacinth macaw.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I notice no smell from them.

I do from other macaws but not the hys.
Wow, really? How, pardon my frankness, boring of them. lol

I always thought all macaws had that fruity tang smell to them. I have held some hyacinths in the past, but never felt comfortable enough to get my nose into their feathers for a whiff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Really? You know I have a macaw sniffing issue. :hilarious: Mine don't however.... neither of mine have much down feathering. That could make or break a smell I bet. ;)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Mercedes, did you know they don't have a preening gland? They also do not have the ridge in their upper mandable, it's smooth top to bottom. ;)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Mercedes, did you know they don't have a preening gland? They also do not have the ridge in their upper mandable, it's smooth top to bottom. ;)
WHAT?

Hyacinths are so weird.

No preening gland, weird upper mandable... what next?

I do know that their skin as babies tends to be very yellow. I am not sure if this exists in adult Hys. Do your two hys have yellow pigmented skin?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Really? You know I have a macaw sniffing issue. :hilarious: Mine don't however.... neither of mine have much down feathering. That could make or break a smell I bet. ;)
Not to say you do not have such an issue, if one could call it that. But perhaps you are not doing it right? In fact I do not think I have ever seen a picture of your nose in their feathers? :D

Seriously though, I never even considered that its their down feathers that bring out their smell. Or not. I have sniffed molted feathers from Mera and they do not have the fruity smell like they do when they are on her.

Maybe its the preen gland that causes such a smell?

No that may not be it. Pua my red lored amazon, she had a very strong fruit aroma, and I have been told that amazons dont have preening glands either. So I am not too sure about that.

How odd.

If I had ever considered a HY before, now they're completely out the window. The smell is the winner.

orni'morphosis

Strolling the yard
Real Name
If they down have down feathers on them to bring out the smell then it's less likely you'll detect it. Why don't they have down feathers?

I hope macaw lover sees this. I look forward to their reply. It would be nice to get opinions from multiple people's experiences.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'll sniff for you again tonight but I'm pretty sure they have no smell. :lol:I'll even get my husband to give a second opinion. :D

Cha chews her down feathers.... so Tiko has few either. :p

orni'morphosis

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Thanks. I really appreciate you and your husband going out of your way. It's a shame she chews her feathers. Is she stressed, anxious or depressed or something?

Feathers & Fins

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keith
I have had Ringo my male Hyacinth for about a month now. I have not noticed any smell whats so ever.I even put my nose into his feathers, and there is no smell. Hyacinths are truly special. For those who have them know what I mean. In the past I had a G.W. and they definitely have there own smell.

Attachments

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Wow, really? How, pardon my frankness, boring of them. lol

I always thought all macaws had that fruity tang smell to them. I have held some hyacinths in the past, but never felt comfortable enough to get my nose into their feathers for a whiff.

YUM!!!! Fruity Tang Smell! There's nothing like it in the world! If someone could find a way to bottle that smell, they would be famous and rich! I think it's the strongest in the B&G but I've never met a Hy. My greys give off a similar smell and I could stick my nose in their feathers ALL DAY....

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
YUM!!!! Fruity Tang Smell! There's nothing like it in the world! If someone could find a way to bottle that smell, they would be famous and rich! I think it's the strongest in the B&G but I've never met a Hy. My greys give off a similar smell and I could stick my nose in their feathers ALL DAY....

I will remind you next time you come, you can sniff a HY. :lol:

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think mine has a macaw smell, but not nearly as strong as Ara genus macaws. I'm not hugely fond of macaw smell and since I don't have other macaws, maybe that means I'm able to smell what little of it my hyacinth produces. I can smell most macaws the instant I walk into a building that has them. Not so hyacinths. But the smell is there at times. More so when she's been outside in the sun.

And their skin is kind of a funny transparent whitish yellowish under all the feathers in some places. In fact, if she's exposed to much natural light, her feet will get kind of a stained yellowish color between the scales. Like the yellow color up under her leg feathers starts to seep down into the black feet scales.

Last edited:

orni'morphosis

Strolling the yard
Real Name
I think mine has a macaw smell, but not nearly as strong as Ara genus macaws. I'm not hugely fond of macaw smell and since I don't have other macaws, maybe that means I'm able to smell what little of it my hyacinth produces. I can smell most macaws the instant I walk into a building that has them. Not so hyacinths. But the smell is there at times. More so when she's been outside in the sun.
What does macaw smell smell like regarding the Hyacinth macaw? Is the smell different or stronger at certain times of year? Do you know if there is a different smell for different genders?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen

And their skin is kind of a funny transparent whitish yellowish under all the feathers in some places. In fact, if she's exposed to much natural light, her feet will get kind of a stained yellowish color between the scales. Like the yellow color up under her leg feathers starts to seep down into the black feet scales.
Funny, the smells from my greys that I equate with Macaws also comes out when they are outside or when they get scared...like going to the vet!:)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My guys smell completely different if scared or outside, nothing like the "macaw" smell I'm referring to in this thread.