• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hyacinth Macaw eggs

Birdddssss

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aiden Vargo
Hi, does anyone have any experience/references on purchasing a macaw/parrot egg of any sort? I am trying to find a hyacinth macaw to raise from an egg but can't find any legit sellers. I purchased an egg but it was supposed to come in a long time ago and paid a lot. Even for the packaging and shipping but it was a scam.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't know of any reputable parrot breeders that will sell eggs of any species.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I believe the sale of fertilized parrot eggs in many places is illegal or only done between breeders. Some countries do sell them from what I have seen but not places like where I live. Most of the ads for them are places that are scams.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I agree with what everyone else posted. I will also add- unless you already have handfeeding experience, getting a really young baby bird is a risky endeavor. So many things can go wrong and it's the baby that suffers. Have you considered adopting? There are so many birds out there in need of good homes.

Birdddssss

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aiden Vargo
I agree with what everyone else posted. I will also add- unless you already have handfeeding experience, getting a really young baby bird is a risky endeavor. So many things can go wrong and it's the baby that suffers. Have you considered adopting? There are so many birds out there in need of good homes.
yes, I have been looking for a place to adopt a parrot but right now can you still adopt?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
yes, I have been looking for a place to adopt a parrot but right now can you still adopt?
Where are you located? There are so many really good rescues. Finding a Hyacinth in rescue isn't easy. Most are willed to them or the rescues end up keeping.

Buying a baby Hy will be in the $15K upwards to $20K area.

Many Macaws are in most rescues, they are just as majestic as the Hyacinth.

Last edited:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It will depend on the rescue/adoption centre. I would recommend getting in touch with specific rescues.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I've heard that it can cost $300, give or take, in nuts, per month, to feed a hyacinth macaw... that doesn't count all the other foods that they eat.... or the toys that they require.... A good cage is likely to cost several grand due to how strong their beaks are....

Unless you have that kind of money, on top of being able to purchase said bird, I would advise against getting one.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yep, the bird is the cheap bit.

Housing the bird, feeding the bird, keeping a stock of hard-wearing toys, vet bills when something inevitably goes wrong...that's where the real expense it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry you were scammed. As far as I know the sites that sell parrot eggs are generally scams. They are also the ones that will list the price of a Hyacinth Macaw as $2,000 or something else that is totally ludicrous.

Birdddssss

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aiden Vargo
Sorry everyone me and my birds have been busy playing during coroutine and they don’t like when I am on my phone when they are playing Lol