• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HVAC air purifier

RenPep

Checking out the neighborhood
Has anyone installed an air purifier directly into their HVAC system? I'm getting ready to install a brand new HVAC system and have the option to add and I Wave to it. It's an ionizing air purifier *but* it uses neutral ionization. It produces equal numbers of positive and negative ions that cancel one another out. Supposedly it "iWave is UL 867 ozone standard certified to produce no harmful levels of ozone.". But I can't find anything specific about whether "no harmful levels" means safe for parrots. Does anyone have experience with this? I've reached out to the company with my specific concern and am waiting for a reply. Thanks in advance for your help.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Following because I'm curious what the manufacturer says (though I'd consider them to have an inherent bias if they're selling the thing).

I'm a nerd on this topic (not an expert), and most indoor air quality experts I follow recommend mechanical filtration (i.e. filters) and specifically suggest the easiest upgrade is to switch from the standard 1" pleated filter to a 4" filter because they have much more surface area and are more efficient (so you can use a higher MERV rating without reducing air flow through your HVAC system -- which otherwise increases pressure and wear on your fan).

LEED standard v4 calls for MERV 8 which is about 2x better than standard filters, and MERV 13 for more sensitive environments (medical facilities, or people with severs allergies). Both MERV 8 and 13 can be used in a 4" format with pressures which are suitable for a standard furnace fan.

An unbiased view on ozone...

budsNares

Moving in
Real Name
Benjamin
Has anyone installed an air purifier directly into their HVAC system? I'm getting ready to install a brand new HVAC system and have the option to add and I Wave to it. It's an ionizing air purifier *but* it uses neutral ionization. It produces equal numbers of positive and negative ions that cancel one another out. Supposedly it "iWave is UL 867 ozone standard certified to produce no harmful levels of ozone.". But I can't find anything specific about whether "no harmful levels" means safe for parrots. Does anyone have experience with this? I've reached out to the company with my specific concern and am waiting for a reply. Thanks in advance for your help.
y are

Do you have the option to add a different air purifier to your system? I am not familiar with that one but when I was reading up on these things I didnt see any reason to think that would be harmful to birds. Personally I reccomend this air filter Airpura Air Purifiers - Whole-House Air Filtration for Central Air Systems ... I prefer true HEPA 11, 13, and HyperHEPA filters. I am not certain which is the best type but I do know hopsitals prefer HEPA and they seem to be the most direct way of getting rid of particulates in your air.