• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hurt

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Spoke to my vet today cause my Linnie got hurt again. Don't know how , i was at work. My sister called me to tell me. He thinks it's just stress but i don't know. Is there maybe something wrong with his cage set-up? (don't look at the mess was making some changes before cleaning it) Or is it better to get him a friend? (He is alone at the moment) IMG-20190423-WA0003.jpg IMG-20190422-WA0002.jpeg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Maybe he pulled feathers out that were caught in the chains on the toys?
Be sure to clean the wounds well.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Did you find any blood on anything in the cage?

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
No, only thing i could think of that could cut is his bath. But else really.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
only thing i could think of that could cut is his bath
Look at the chains on his toy over there.
It is easy for feathers to become trapped and when the bird pulls back, it yanks them all out.

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
He doesn't use that toy or go near it. Even thinking about removing it. Couldn't find a feather either. Looked more at the wound, looks more like a horizontal clean cut.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Have you checked the cage? Maybe there is a bit of metal poking? Check it thoroughly

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Should i get him a friend? Is bad for him to be alone?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Should i get him a friend? Is bad for him to be alone?
If there is a problem in the cage and something hurt the bird, you need to fix that first before anything.

How often is he alone?

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
No metal poking out. Think i'll just move out the bath and that toy, he doesn't use them.

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
If there is a problem in the cage and something hurt the bird, you need to fix that first before anything.

How often is he alone?
During the day. Sister comes back in the afternoon and take him out. I take him out in the morning before i leave for school/ work. Then in the evening i take him out again.

(He also sleeps alot during middle of the day)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That was what i would suggest. Run your hand over all metal surfaces looking for Sharp anything. Suggest you remove the yellow sleep hut because it looks to be fibers that a bird can ingest and ultimately get a blockage in the crop.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Think i'll just move out the bath and that toy, he doesn't use them.
Replace them with something a little more bird safe.

Also, considering you are away during the day, I feel it is important to provide foraging activies. Multiple if possible.

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
This
During the day. Sister comes back in the afternoon and take him out. I take him out in the morning before i leave for school/ work. Then in the evening i take him out again.

(He also sleeps alot during middle of the day)
Is only during school days

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
This

Is only during school days

Yea, even 1 day a week being alone all day with no entertainment is too many. Foraging will give the bird something to work on and will kill a bit of time.

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Yea, even 1 day a week being alone all day with no entertainment is too many. Foraging will give the bird something to work on and will kill a bit of time.
I know, that's why I am thinking about getting a second one. Got a few more toys but he doesn't really use them. I orded a few more, hoping he will like those. He only really sleeps, eat, play with me, poops and does that round all over again.

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Was planning this week to pick him up a friend but after more research I found out the bird store lied to me. They told me I would be able to keep Pyrrhura and my linnie together. Glad I found that out sooner than later.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I will say that toys for birds at pet stores are *often* not enjoyed by many small birds, because they simply use big bird materials and make a smaller toy with them! Linnies tend to like easier to shred stuff - balsa, palm, seagrass, cork, etc. My shop caters to small birds specifically because of this issue with pet store toys! Welcome to Lil Monsters Bird Toys - Specializing in Toys for Small Parrots and Animals

Do you use any zip ties in your cage? It reminds me a lot of a wound I saw on a bird once that had a cut zip tie in the cage and when they rubbed up against it, it cut them. Definitely run your hand over every inch of the cage to make sure there aren't any rough patches.

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
I will say that toys for birds at pet stores are *often* not enjoyed by many small birds, because they simply use big bird materials and make a smaller toy with them! Linnies tend to like easier to shred stuff - balsa, palm, seagrass, cork, etc. My shop caters to small birds specifically because of this issue with pet store toys! Welcome to Lil Monsters Bird Toys - Specializing in Toys for Small Parrots and Animals

Do you use any zip ties in your cage? It reminds me a lot of a wound I saw on a bird once that had a cut zip tie in the cage and when they rubbed up against it, it cut them. Definitely run your hand over every inch of the cage to make sure there aren't any rough patches.
Cool, I will make sure to check it out. And no, no zip ties.