• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Hurt Tiel

Status
Not open for further replies.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
M'lady's little tiel Peep seems to have a hurt wing. He's able to fold it tight against his body and move it, but he doesn't flap it like he normally does when he's shifted about. I think he might have strained something or bruised himself as he tends to take controlled plummets from the top of the cage. What can we do to make him a bit more comfy and what should we look for? She has a small white cage, should we put him in that or possibly in a carrier so he isn't climbing about?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Yes, I would confine her for at least 24 hours and observe what's going on. If you don't see any improvement I would get her to the vet because she's in pain and it could be a more serious injury.

Ginger

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
poor little gaffer..yes, best to confine her for a while unless it stresses her out totally....if you see no improvement, then off to the vet.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
smaller cage and have the food low to the floor. also, leave only one perch, also low. this way, if he falls again, its a small drop and wont get injured again. after that, i agree with above. watch him and if he seems in pain still, a vet visit is in order.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Peep seems to be doing a bit better. He's still favoring the wing, but he stretched it out further then he has since his fall and has been climbing around the cage and being a bit more active. We'll still be keeping a close eye on him, but I had a feel over his wing and I don't believe it's broken thank goodness. Now to figure out how to fix his out of cage time. :( IF you turn your back he leaps off the top of the cage, even if it's for a moment to glance at the computer screen. It's getting dangerous, especially this last time. I can't wait til his flights grow in!!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
When I had fledging babies, I always put pillows and fluffed up sheets around the base of their cage to cushion their falls.

Peep probably has stove his wing by hitting it on something hard (a contusion without bruising but with soreness). Probably will be quite sore for 24 to 45 hours and then will slowly wear off. It is like you jamming your thumb against something; remember that feeling? The sore area is probably either his shoulder joint or his elbow joint. Peep will progressively stretch his wing to get rid of the soreness until it is back to normal.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:
Get well soon, Peep:heart::heart:

Dana Lee

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dana
Poor Peep! I hope he feels better soon! :hug8: