• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Hurt my rosella accidentally kicked her while she was walking around

Joojie69

Meeting neighbors
I hurt my little birdie by accident. She attacked my toes and I accidentally kicked her off
I’m taking her to the vet soon but just super anxious on what could possibly be wrong with her
She’s limping because her leg is a little hurt but I know that will get better soon but what I’m really worried about is she’s fluffed up and rocking back and forth when she’s “sleeping” she eats and drinks fine. She tries to fly to me when I lift her. She tried to flap her wings but didn’t get far. She hopped and “flew” to my shoulder by flew I mean barely opened and flapped her wings. But if you look at her you can see how much pain she’s in. I just want to help her. I hope you guys can kinda diagnose what’s wrong until I take her to the vet because the anxiety is killing me. Do you think she will be fine :/
Thanks guys

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
When is your vet appointment?
Keep your bird warm and quiet till then.

Joojie69

Meeting neighbors
It’s in the morning do you think she will be ok by then

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Keep her warm and in a carrier, not her main cage, to limit her activity.

Unfortunately I think even a vet would have a hard time telling you what's wrong through a photo. The possibilities run the gamut from sprained muscle up to ruptured air sack or broken bones. Do you perhaps have an emergency vet who could give you pain meds until you see your normal vet in the morning?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
She definitely needs pain medication. Hopefully she is merely bruised not injured. That left wing looks droopy to me.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:angel6:Hope she is OK & saw the vet. Could have internal injury & wing is drooping.

Joojie69

Meeting neighbors
Any updates on your bird?
Yes I took her to the vet yesterday and got her x rays and they said she fractured her coracoid and they put her in a little splint. My only worry is the doctor said she might not be able to ever fly again and that’s killing me :/ here is the x ray which actually doesn’t look that bad. She said the bones didn’t miss align they just got dislocated. What do you guys think? Do you guys think she can ever fly again to wake me up with kisses

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I can’t offer an opinion on the outcome I’m sorry, I hope the healing time will be pain free and I really hope flight will again be possible.
Some of the others might be more familiar with this sort of injury but I’d guess your vet has the best answers.