• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Humus bedding

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Hey,
My dad got me this bag of humus bedding, not sure if it is okay to use for my linnies. Says that it's made from coconut fibers.
FB_IMG_1614959766160.jpg

Last edited:

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Owning birds is so much easier if you just use paper liners, cleaning out the bedding often extra money and work. I'm not sure if that specific kind is safe, @camelotshadow @Tiel Feathers @Birdbabe ?

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Owning birds is so much easier if you just use paper liners, cleaning out the bedding often extra money and work. I'm not sure if that specific kind is safe, @camelotshadow @Tiel Feathers @Birdbabe ?
Sorry, from the Netherlands not sure specifically what you mean with paper liners. Used to use those kitchen rolls but that just didn't work out, they would straight up destroy them within two days and the bottom plate would be hard to clean. Plus using the paper made them show nesting behavior a ton more and would attack me when I got close to the cage. Can't put the bars that go over the bottom plate as Chip as a lower laying sternum, so if he falls on those bars his chest tissue will kinda burst open and bleed. Use small wood chips now but was looking into new things seeing as the wood chips fly every (i know bird make a mess) so wanted to see maybe something like this would stay more in its place or doesn't fly as much. And seeing this also more softer for Chip instead of the wood chips.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My concern is that it's potentially dusty and will grow mould if it gets wet - for example, if your birds splash water out of their bowls.

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
My concern is that it's potentially dusty and will grow mould if it gets wet - for example, if your birds splash water out of their bowls.
Yeah I was scared it would be to dusty that why I am asking. My birds don't drink out of a bowl so that part is not a concern.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd be inclined to say no - the image looks like it's very fine, with very small particles. This can be inhaled by your birds. Smaller particles are also more likely to move when your birds flap.

Can you get any dust-extracted products? It looks like this company is based in the Netherlands and produce large dust-extracted woodshavings. You can't buy from them directly, but if you contact them they can put you in touch with a pet centre that does sell their products.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I agree,,looks too dusty, small fibers which could be ingested..I use white paper towels, easier to see poo ,,,always on poop patrol..easily changed.

TDF2

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Sorry, from the Netherlands not sure specifically what you mean with paper liners. Used to use those kitchen rolls but that just didn't work out, they would straight up destroy them within two days and the bottom plate would be hard to clean. Plus using the paper made them show nesting behavior a ton more and would attack me when I got close to the cage. Can't put the bars that go over the bottom plate as Chip as a lower laying sternum, so if he falls on those bars his chest tissue will kinda burst open and bleed. Use small wood chips now but was looking into new things seeing as the wood chips fly every (i know bird make a mess) so wanted to see maybe something like this would stay more in its place or doesn't fly as much. And seeing this also more softer for Chip instead of the wood chips.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I would not use it. Problems with ingestion & the dust in the air filled with bird poop.
Least with papers the poop won't become airborn in the dust. Poop filled bedding will stirred by the birds into the air & there lungs. Just seems like too many problems with it plus they can nest in it anyway of they want.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not corncob bedding - it is notorious for mould.

My preference would also be paper sheets. You could add towels or a thick fleece pad then lay a layer of paper on top. This will allow you to monitor droppings easily. I use unprinted newspaper that I buy from a packaging supplier.

However, if Chip needs a soft bed, then identifying a dust-extracted substrate would be my priority. Paper pellets can be dusty.