• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hummingbirds

ChromeScholar

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
Here is one of the Anna's Hummingbirds that wintered over at our house.

And a young Rufous showed up yesterday. Which is way early for him to be here. They don't generally show up around here till late May, early June.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Omg! I love hummingbirds and don't see many in my yard in new England! I planted zinnias last year and plan on planting them this year too! I got two green hummingbirds after planting those, and I only saw those two. Hopefully my flowers will attract more. I have a hummingbird feeder, but that doesn't seem to attract as well as the right kind of flowers. :roflmao:

ChromeScholar

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
Omg! I love hummingbirds and don't see many in my yard in new England! I planted zinnias last year and plan on planting them this year too! I got two green hummingbirds after planting those, and I only saw those two. Hopefully my flowers will attract more. I have a hummingbird feeder, but that doesn't seem to attract as well as the right kind of flowers. :roflmao:
They would be Ruby-Throated hummingbirds, which are the only hummingbird species in Massachusetts.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
They would be Ruby-Throated hummingbirds, which are the only hummingbird species in Massachusetts.
I didn't know that! But then I also didn't know there are different types of hummingbirds!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Beautiful photos! Hummingbirds are some of my favorite wild birds. On a side note, I just saw a posting this morning that said if you see a praying mantis on your hummingbird feeder to remove it because they will kill the hummingbirds. :scared4:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Your photos are always amazing Dan..thanks for sharing.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Beautiful photos! Hummingbirds are some of my favorite wild birds. On a side note, I just saw a posting this morning that said if you see a praying mantis on your hummingbird feeder to remove it because they will kill the hummingbirds. :scared4:
A praying mantis will?!

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I got to help band hummingbirds one year. It was so neat to actually hold them. You could feel their heart pounding away. I think the bander told me 150 beats per minute. They go into a stupor & just lay on your hand. Then you touch their back & off they go.

Yes praying mantis can catch & eat hummingbirds. Carefully remove from the hummingbird feeder & place on a tree or bush.

If you hang more than one feeder they should be a good distance apart, as they will fight over them. Also never use red food coloring. Hummingbird food recipe: It's a 1-4 ratio. 1 Cup granulated table sugar, 4 cups water. Bring water to boil, add sugar, stir, let cool to room temp. Extra can be stored in the frig for 2 weeks. Change food often, like every 3-5 days, as it can get contaminated by their beaks/tongue. Wash feeders with dish soap or vinegar once per week.

Hummingbirds love flowers that have a tube base. Colors red, orange, pink, lavander will attract them. They love hanging Fuchsia plants too.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I got to help band hummingbirds one year. It was so neat to actually hold them. You could feel their heart pounding away. I think the bander told me 150 beats per minute. They go into a stupor & just lay on your hand. Then you touch their back & off they go.

Yes praying mantis can catch & eat hummingbirds. Carefully remove from the hummingbird feeder & place on a tree or bush.

If you hang more than one feeder they should be a good distance apart, as they will fight over them. Also never use red food coloring. Hummingbird food recipe: It's a 1-4 ratio. 1 Cup granulated table sugar, 4 cups water. Bring water to boil, add sugar, stir, let cool to room temp. Extra can be stored in the frig for 2 weeks. Change food often, like every 3-5 days, as it can get contaminated by their beaks/tongue. Wash feeders with dish soap or vinegar once per week.

Hummingbirds love flowers that have a tube base. Colors red, orange, pink, lavander will attract them. They love hanging Fuchsia plants too.
Wow thanks for this! I was so excited to actually see them last summer. I had zinnias in my garden and they loved them!