• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Humidity levels for Parrotlets

Bryan Black

Strolling the yard
I was wondering what humidity levels you try to keep for parrotlets? I read online someplace that 40-60% is good but I am seeing a little bit lower numbers..

I live in Missouri and use electric heat in the winter time so was concerned about humidity levels so I bought a little humidity gauge. It has been reading between 35-48% but the average is probably more like 37-38% and the temperature is kept at about 72 degrees. He does have a little bird bath that he use a few times a week but he only gets his feet, chest and beak wet and hates being misted. Do you think 37-38% is okay for the winter time and if not do you have any recommendations on an affordable easy to use humidifier? (Amazon)

I am not real sure how accurate my gauge is either it is an AcuRite off of Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K8RF10/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Bump I’m sorry I do not know

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Hello, our home was always around 30-40% and our baby was fine. If you want more info you can look on talkparrotlets.com. The whole website ( forum) is plet owners, and you should be able to get an answer. Between here and that site you should get an answer that will help you. Hope that helps. :)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I think if he has access to regular bathing he should be ok. Parrotlets live in a few different regions of Central and S.America. Some areas have dry seasons. The birds also enjoy eating cactus fruits. It depends a little on which species you have, but they are pretty good at handling lower humidity. This is if you are comparing them to a high humidity bird. Offering bathing is a great way for them to get a little extra if they want it.

These photos might be interesting to you.

Pacific Parrotlet

Bryan Black

Strolling the yard
I ended up getting the Vicks Vaporizer from Walmart today it was only $15 and was recommended in another post here on AA. I have only had it going for three hours and it has raised the humidity from 38% to 48%. That seems pretty good to me and it is easy to use/clean too. It is a heated unit so it will cost more to run but if I only have it running three or four hours a day it should be fine.

Thanks for the link/photos. I will attach a few pictures of my Pip if anyone is interested..

Attachments

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Pip is lovely! Thank you for sharing the photos :)

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
She’s cute!

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
He looks a lot like pip from parrotlet forum - any relation? :smuggrin:

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
There’s the sign I kept looking for :loltears: . ..I sure thought he looked like the Pip I knew!

over there I am squeaky&pixie. I have a lovebird now as I could not get a p’lett so found this site, but I still go over to see how everyone is..:heart:

Bryan Black

Strolling the yard
ah okay..

It has been kind of slow over there and just come over here to ask a few questions from a new perspective. I have been just kind of reading things over here not very active really. It does seem like there is a lot of lovebird owners over here :)

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
There is a thread on here somewhere as to how many birds on the avenue, last count was. Around 2800 + I think... you name the bird - it’s here somewhere. It takes me hours to catch up to the new posts, never mind all the different threads on various birds...I keep bouncing between here and there, but have fallen behind over there. Just looked and there are 485 new pots since I was there last! I better get busy!! :faint:

Bryan Black

Strolling the yard
I found it a little overwhelming over here but once I figured out how to pick the parts that I wanted to read and block/ignore the rest it made it better.

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
I am so use to it now, that I find the green background at the other site hard to read sometimes. I also like the idea of putting a quick ‘like’ is emoji when something catches my fancy rather than actually posting. It took me quite a while too but now feel comfortable around here....am sure you will enjoy the site once you get used to it.
if you get a chance catch up with posts from cassiesdad. And his cockatoo Milton! He is the counter part to Dave and ricochet. Milton is our local weather bird and all around smart aleck clown!