• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Humidifier (USA availability)

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Can someone suggest a good humidifier? I've read that the best choice for bird owners is evaporative humidifiers, but the vast majority on the market are ultrasonic. I was going to get the Pure Enrichment MistAire Eva 4-Speed model, but apparently they no longer sell the filter for it. Please include a link with your recommendation. Thank you

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use ultrasonic cool mist humidifiers. I had a smaller one until last week, when I purchased a larger, Levoit cool mist humidifier. The smaller one is a Crane, and it is in my room now. No heating elements, nothing that produces ozone. It also works with the VeSync app so I can change the settings on my phone. I've been happy with both.

Oh yes, links...
Crane 1 Gal. Drop Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier for Medium to Large Rooms up to 500 sq. ft. - Blue/White-EE-5301 - The Home Depot

VeSync Classic 300S Ultrasonic Smart Humidifier

Last edited:

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Maybe I’ll just get an ultrasonic one. Unfortunately that means I’ll have to start buying distilled water.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe I’ll just get an ultrasonic one. Unfortunately that means I’ll have to start buying distilled water.
At the moment, I'm just using water filtered through one of the Brita pitchers. I'm hoping to buy a home distillation machine. I think they run around $100, and some are made with exclusively stainless steel parts for the heating element and chamber.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
How large is the space?

This Honeywell evaporative unit would service a large area and should be readily available in North America...

Two tips: first, air seal as much as possible to reduce the need for humidification (this has additional benefits, but air leaks are the reason homes get dry in the winter), and second, resist the urge to humidify higher than 30% in the winter months (the integrity of your building envelope will thank you).

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’ll be honest. I just use 37 aquariums on automatic top offs.

But my avian vet uses an evaporative humidifier, using only as much water in the reservoir as will get used in one 24 period. The then tank and reservoir get wiped with a wash rag every day before a new fill. She says only use municipal water because that water has been treated.