• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Humidifier Safety/Recommendations

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Hello everyone.

Despite the unusually warm week we have had here in Pittsburgh, I am looking for info on humidifier safety and/or suggestions.
Our bedroom gets very dry with the heat turned on in the winter, and I think a humidifier would help. However I am concerned about the birds safety.
We would use the humidifier in our bedroom only. The birds are downstairs, although they do come upstairs with us when they are out. I've read mixed reviews on humidifiers and parrots. Are they safe? And if so, what types. Is there a preference among the cool, warm, and ultrasonic mist options? And obviously we would not use any scented products in the unit.
Thanks!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
The parrots definitely need humidity also. You would need a large whole-house one if you want it in your bedroom. I'd suggest just getting several humidifiers.
Buy several hygrometers to monitor the humidity.
I've found any humidifier definitely needs maintenance to keep clean and safe - at least every week. It's like having another pet.

Everyone has different opinions and what works for them in their area. This is my experience.

If you get a warm mist(steam), make sure it does not contain PTFE. Some do, so call the manufacturer. I add using one of these when temps are lower than 10 below.

I tried an ultrasonic mist and that was quite possibly the worst thing I've ever done. I was changing the mineral filter every 5 days and still got white dust all over everything. An unbelievable mess. It also had many crevices where bacteria grew. I was cleaning with dental picks weekly.

With cool mist I also had trouble with mineral accumulation hardening the filter plus things growing on the filter. I also could not turn it off for any length of time as the filter would then go bad. It was expensive to replace filters every few weeks.

I finally ended up using venta airwashers. I have 2 rabbitair air filters and don't rely on the airwashers for air cleaning, just humidity. The initial expense is high, but.... I can turn them off for any length of time as they have no filter. And I can run them outside with some chlorox in to clean them every 3 or 4 weeks. They do accumulate dirt from the air so I must replace the water in them completely every 2 days or it looks like potato soup (you will want to locate near a sink), and I must add water in the morning and at bedtime. I use them year-round as humidity is often in the single digits in the summer too. They do not turn on and off to regulate humidity but do have 3 speeds. I use learning from experience and a hygrometer to manually regulate the humidity.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
if you are just trying to contain it in your bedroom, try a old fashion steam vaporizer. the only thing my vet recommends. I use Kaz Vick's Vapo-steam, it has no PTFE or Teflon in it. I asked to make sure. remember to use it nightly and during the day also.
I do not like cool mist ones because they get all sorts mold and germs in them, same with a lot of the warm mist ones too.. pure steam can not contain mold, bacteria and other germies because it is sterile.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
After much research, I got an Envirocare 99% germ free warm mist humidifier. It has a ceramic heating element and is recommended for people with asthma and allergies. I have had it for three years without any problems. I only use it in the winter when the air is driest.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Thanks for the replies everyone. I took a look the selection of humidifiers at the store today and found the basic selection of Holmes and Honeywell products. Nothing really stood out to me though, and the prices were a little high. Definitely wanted to steer clear of the cool mist humidifiers, as I don't want to even chance the possibility of mold or bacteria.

@rocky'smom , is this the vaporizer you mentioned?

Target : Expect More. Pay Less.

I like the price on it a lot better than some of the humidifiers I was looking at. Is the unit itself fairly quiet, and does it produce a noticeable amount of heat?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
is it the one that holds about 1 1/2 gallons of water? I will add one other note to this, make sure to follow the instruction to the letter, and register it with their company for the 3 year warranty. they are pretty good about replacing it if needed. I know in my area our water extremely hard and I went to using half cold water (necessary) and half warm water from the tap. it keeps the deposits in the machine down to min. amount.
I can't see the picture that linked too.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
I attached the photo from the website. It does hold 1.5 gallons.

Good to know about the instructions. Does the steam heat up the room in any significant way?

Attachments

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
too a point yes, about a degree or 2.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I used distilled water in my humidifier. I think that helps so that you don't get the white deposits.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Store has the vaporizer, so I will buy today.
Thanks for the tip with distilled water. I have some at home so I will keep that in mind.

I'll let you guys know how everything goes.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
you can not use distilled water in this type of vaporizer. it will not work because it needs the minerals to work properly

Bryan Black

Strolling the yard
if you are just trying to contain it in your bedroom, try a old fashion steam vaporizer. the only thing my vet recommends. I use Kaz Vick's Vapo-steam, it has no PTFE or Teflon in it. I asked to make sure. remember to use it nightly and during the day also.
I do not like cool mist ones because they get all sorts mold and germs in them, same with a lot of the warm mist ones too.. pure steam can not contain mold, bacteria and other germies because it is sterile.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread and I am not sure if that is allowed or not but wanted to ask a question about this Vicks Vaporizer and can not pm anyone yet either...

The steam that comes out is it really hot? I let my parrotlet out for most of the day and want to make sure that if the vaporizer is on that it will not burn him if he gets close to it or something. Mind you I am with him when he is out but we all know how quick they can get into something when you have your back turned.

The gauge I have says my humidity is at 36-38% on average and would like to get that up a little more and this seems like an inexpensive way to get there.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
The steam is hot. So I use this at night after Bebe goes to bed. This particular one will do a bedroom but large rooms you'll need two of them.

Bryan Black

Strolling the yard
The steam is hot. So I use this at night after Bebe goes to bed. This particular one will do a bedroom but large rooms you'll need two of them.
okay great I can use it after my Pip goes back into his cage at 4pm. The room I have him in is like 16x20 do you think one will be enough?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Try it with humidity gauge on the opposite side of the room. Jusst make humidity doesn't go above 35-40% that can cause mold issues.

Bryan Black

Strolling the yard
Try it with humidity gauge on the opposite side of the room. Jusst make humidity doesn't go above 35-40% that can cause mold issues.
Well maybe I don't need a humidifier if 35-40% is all you need I am getting 35-37% now without using anything. I had thought you wanted to be closer to 50% humidity.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
20200112_085615.jpg
This is what too much humidity looks like, my gauge says 33% but the windows are running like a river. TOO MUCH!!!!!!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I hold the humidity in our shared lounge around 55-60% in our shared lounge. No issues with damp or mould.
IMHO <50% in winter is a problem.
@rocky'smom if you have damp like that at 33% then I think you need a new hygrometer.

Last edited: