• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Humidifier and/or air purifier for a tiel? (Allergy control)

Manchas

Moving in
Real Name
Sara Zapata
Hi! I'm new here and as you might guess, I'm doing some budget and research to get a cockatiel. Thing is, I struggle with allergies (Healthcare here is awful so getting an allergy test is kinda hard, although not imposible). As a little test I brought my boyfriend's budgie over for a month vacation and didn't get any bad respiratory allergies even tho he was molting, but the tiel dust still makes me a little nervous.

I've read some suggestions around and an air purifier and a humidifier seem to be good options, as well as frequently misting the little fella. I'd still like to hear from any cockatiel owners that might be propense to respiratory allergies or just owners of dusty bird in general, do you have any recomendacions on controlling dust? Will the humidifier actually help? Any specific air purifier? Maybe I should look for a good allergy test or just get a budgie?
I'm very open to everyone's suggestions :) I want to take a responsible and informed desition

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Sara 1.welcome signs.gif

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. I would suggest trying to be around a tiel before getting one. People with respiratory issues really shouldn't have one. That said, I am allergic to cats etc and my tiels don't bother me. Also, I have a Honeywell purifier that I run every day.

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
I think an air purifier should be considered part of the purchase price of a tiel, personally.
No one in my household has allergies or asthma, and I’ve previously worked at a dog groomer and figured if breathing the fur and crud from 50 or so dogs a day hadn’t bothered me, there was no possible way a tiny little bird could.
As it turns out, I was wrong! We got an air purifier maybe 3 weeks after we got Jazzy because that’s how long it took us to realize it was the wrong time of year for pollen to be bothering us, and then for it to ship. We now have a second smaller one for our bedroom because I’m hooked on clean air :o:

Manchas

Moving in
Real Name
Sara Zapata
Welcome. I would suggest trying to be around a tiel before getting one. People with respiratory issues really shouldn't have one. That said, I am allergic to cats etc and my tiels don't bother me. Also, I have a Honeywell purifier that I run every day.
Thank you for sharing your experience and your suggestion! I recently found out an old friend owns a cockatiel that is in some serious need of some care, I'll try to hang out with her and help the little tiel

Manchas

Moving in
Real Name
Sara Zapata
I think an air purifier should be considered part of the purchase price of a tiel, personally.
No one in my household has allergies or asthma, and I’ve previously worked at a dog groomer and figured if breathing the fur and crud from 50 or so dogs a day hadn’t bothered me, there was no possible way a tiny little bird could.
As it turns out, I was wrong! We got an air purifier maybe 3 weeks after we got Jazzy because that’s how long it took us to realize it was the wrong time of year for pollen to be bothering us, and then for it to ship. We now have a second smaller one for our bedroom because I’m hooked on clean air :o:
Thank you for sharing! I was scared even the air purifier wouldn't be an effective solution, now I think I should get a purifier even if I don't end up geting a tiel

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
Maybe I should look for a good allergy test
An allergy test may not be helpful.

Allergies develop - unless you've been exposed to something, and that can develop over years, you won't be allergic to it. I was in my forties when I developed an allergy to aspirin, and, trust me, I'd taken a lot of aspirin over the years. But one day my body just said, "do you want hives? Because from now on, taking that stuff is going to give you hives." So, unless you've already had significant exposure to 'tiels you might not react to the test as having an allergy, . . . yet.

Ob. disclaimer: not a doctor, but I've had enough allergies develop throughout my adulthood (in addition to the ones I picked up as a kid) that I know the correct answer to "are you allergic to X?" is "I have previously been exposed to it and I haven't had a reaction, so far." Or, you know, "yes, please don't use that." ;)

Manchas

Moving in
Real Name
Sara Zapata
An allergy test may not be helpful.

Allergies develop - unless you've been exposed to something, and that can develop over years, you won't be allergic to it.
Oooh I had no idea! although that would explain my sudden eczema flare ups... Really useful information! I'll make sure to find a way to spend time around cockatiels then

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I agree with @Chomskypom that if you are going to live with a tiel, you should really have an air purifier. We have one in the bird's room and when we change the filter, we are always disgusted with all of the dander it collects.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I do not have a tiel, I vacuum daily, I wet wipe most surfaces at least twice a week and I’m amazed at the dander my filters are filled with.

As far as I am concerned every bird owner should have hepa filters in their home if that’s where their birds live.

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Welcome to the Avenue! :D

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Air purifier is a great move! I developed allergies during the course of a couple years living with a Tiel, doves, and two budgies. They got worse and worse until I rehomed all but the last two. I still run an air purifier but the change is significant. Tiels are, imo, not comparable to budgies in terms of dust. And for me it is difficult to test because the reaction isn't instant. Remember that there are other options you could go with to be on the safe side.
I'll tag @Mark & Da Boyz.
Personally, once aware of allergies, I would stay away from the birds who are known to be highly dusty, plus run air purifiers anyway just to be safe.

honkwee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
ava
I have severe asthma and allergies. I own 2 tiels and 5 budgies live in the bird room with them. The air purifier really helps me! I run it constantly. I wear a mask when I change cage paper and dust with water and vinegar daily. I also wipe down the cage with the same mixture daily. I don't sweep, I just mop so the dust doesn't fly. try to wash their cage cover in hot water every few days and also avoid having any other fabric in the birdroom. My other suggestion is to not keep birds (Especially tiels) where you sleep! But I still have to load up on allergy medication lol. But before you adopt/buy a tiel I would suggest being around one for a few days to see how you react. Good luck!