• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Human illness

Photon

Sitting on the front steps
I recently found out I have mononucleosis. While I am recovering from it, does anyone know if there is a limitation that would keep me from playing with and holding my Pineapple? He is a GC Conure. I’ve been looking online and can’t seem to find anything about it.

Also, I’ve been wondering if someone is sick with just a normal cold, should you limit your contact with your bird?

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Zoonotic is an infectious disease that is transmitted between species from animals to humans or from humans to animals (health.state.mn.us).
Zoonotic diseases associated with birds include avian tuberculosis, erysipelas, ornithosis, cryptococcosis, histoplasmosis, salmonellosis, cryptosporidiosis, campylobacterosis, and escherichiosis (iacuc.wsu.edu).
Most human diseases, including those that cause the common cold and the flu, are not transmittable to our companion birds (be.chewy.com).

Bobbi

Moving in
I got a letter this morning saying there is bird flu in my area!I was quite concerned about my bird Bobbi but he never goes out from my house so my question is will he ok we have lots of pigeons outside this might sound a bit silly I was wondering if humans can carry bird flu and bring it into the home. It’s the same type of question you are asking

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
I got a letter this morning saying there is bird flu in my area!I was quite concerned about my bird Bobbi but he never goes out from my house so my question is will he ok we have lots of pigeons outside this might sound a bit silly I was wondering if humans can carry bird flu and bring it into the home. It’s the same type of question you are asking
Transmission of influenza viruses depends on exposure to the virus and adaptation by the virus to the new host. Transmission of highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) virus from humans to animals (including cats, dogs, and birds) has not been documented, but may be theoretically possible under certain circumstances.
Indoor birds are at very low risk of becoming infected. Should HPAI be detected in the area, birds housed outdoors should be protected from contact with wild migratory birds (especially waterfowl and shorebirds), their droppings, and water frequented by waterfowl and shorebirds. If companion birds or backyard poultry become infected, it may be possible for them to spread the virus. If affected, companion birds may show signs of respiratory (e.g., discharge from the nose and/or eyes, sneezing, ruffled feathers, or labored breathing), gastrointestinal (e.g., diarrhea), and/or neurologic (e.g., incoordination, depression) disease and be lethargic (avma.org).