• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Human health question?

Phoenix&Li

Walking the driveway
So as some of you know I got Rocky (African grey 38yo) last month. I have a sun conure too but Rocky is my first old world bird. I have an Austin air next to his cage, humidifier, and heater (he's bald) next to his cage. He's just beginning to trust me. He was sitting at his open cage door, got spooked, then fell on the floor. What followed was a long, slow "chase"; he got nervous twice and tried jumping up to my arm (even though I offered my arm multiple times). One time he scratched my arm with his beak I think and it drew one drop of blood. I got small itchy hives on that arm later that day. I'm used to hives and allergies. I'm allergic to everything literally: grass, ragweed, dust, mold, trees, pollen, my cats and dog. I also get hives if it's too cold or hot. I don't mind being allergic to Rocky if I am because my pets are my everything. But is there a disease I should be tested for that Rocky might have given me that isn't allergies? I will get tested at the Allergist when they decide to answer the phone :atomic:and they can add parrots to my list. Thank you.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
There is no specific test for that (that I know of). However doctors routinely tell people they're allergic to their bird even if it's a reckless claim. Since you have an allergist maybe you'll get better information!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Salmonella, Giardia, Parrot Fever aka Chlamydia Psittaci, Avian Tuberculosis (TB), HistoPlasmosis, Allergic Alveolitis, Aspergillus.
Scary isn't it? Although these are rarely passed to humans it is possible. Notice that most of these are fungal and affect the respiratory system, making them possible to catch just by sharing the airspace with them. Yet how many of our members have caught these diseases from known cases? And that's not a complete list. If I was to go revising I could possibly fill a couple of pages for you.
Honestly, if your situation was anything to worry about you would be feeling significantly worse for wear by now.

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
The hives could be a result of an allergy to Rocky, or something Rocky came in contact to or to other factors. Food, dust, parrot dander, stress, anxiety, and bird poop could all cause hives.

Phoenix&Li

Walking the driveway
There is no specific test for that (that I know of). However doctors routinely tell people they're allergic to their bird even if it's a reckless claim. Since you have an allergist maybe you'll get better information!
Yes I will ask when I can get an appointment. Since I'm allergic to dust, cat and dog dander; I'm sure I will be but I'm not a doctor so :surrender:

Phoenix&Li

Walking the driveway
Salmonella, Giardia, Parrot Fever aka Chlamydia Psittaci, Avian Tuberculosis (TB), HistoPlasmosis, Allergic Alveolitis, Aspergillus.
Scary isn't it? Although these are rarely passed to humans it is possible. Notice that most of these are fungal and affect the respiratory system, making them possible to catch just by sharing the airspace with them. Yet how many of our members have caught these diseases from known cases? And that's not a complete list. If I was to go revising I could possibly fill a couple of pages for you.
Honestly, if your situation was anything to worry about you would be feeling significantly worse for wear by now.
Okay thank you! That's a relief.

Phoenix&Li

Walking the driveway
The hives could be a result of an allergy to Rocky, or something Rocky came in contact to or to other factors. Food, dust, parrot dander, stress, anxiety, and bird poop could all cause hives.
Okay thank you! That's good to know. I've had him for a month and nothing happened except my regular allergies.

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
I'm wondering if Rocky ate something then scratched your arm and got what was on his beak in the scratch - is that what you're allergic to? Just a thought because you mentioned you were allergic to grass. Yes, doctors do tell people that they are allergic to birds without any testing as @finchly said.

Phoenix&Li

Walking the driveway
I'm wondering if Rocky ate something then scratched your arm and got what was on his beak in the scratch - is that what you're allergic to? Just a thought because you mentioned you were allergic to grass. Yes, doctors do tell people that they are allergic to birds without any testing as @finchly said.
I didn’t think of that. He has some wheat grass in his cage so it’s possible. I think I saw a test for feather but I think I have to ask for it. Nvm lol
“We do not typically test for feather allergy in our practice. Prior literature (1) suggests that true feather allergy is quite rare. In fact, it typically is likely secondary to underlying dust mite sensitivity.”
From aaaai.org
(American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I get urticaria from quite a few things but my anxiety and stress levels are probably the thing that sets my histamine levels off the charts the most often. I feel for you reacting to so many every day things.... must be extra hard being an animal lover.

Phoenix&Li

Walking the driveway
I get urticaria from quite a few things but my anxiety and stress levels are probably the thing that sets my histamine levels off the charts the most often. I feel for you reacting to so many every day things.... must be extra hard being an animal lover.
My skin doctor gave a prescription allergy pill that helps with hives. I don’t know the name unfortunately. Maybe that can help with your stress related hives?
And thank you. I can’t live without my pets. They’re my everything :heart2:

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
Unfortunately @Phoenix&Li medicine is practiced by statistics - "few people test positive so we don't test for that". However, if you're one of the few...